Author Topic: General discussion for Knits  (Read 1636 times)

Offline T0J0

• Silver Member
General discussion for Knits
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2003, 03:44:59 PM »
Perhaps the Knights should Create a Knights Homeland security department... The threat of RMD's "resets of Mass Destruction"
 require actions worthy of a new department with a big name like KHSD!!

Offline Fariz

• Silver Member
      • http://9giap.warriormage.com
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2003, 04:02:51 PM »
Originally posted by lazs2
The only point in capturing a field is if that allows you to be closer to the next enemy field.   I still haven't figured out the point of 'winning" the war.
lazs

In AH the side which win the war get all the sheep of the lost side. Though after being with AH for so long you should know it.

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.onpoi.net/ah/index.php
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2003, 06:07:24 PM »
The only point in capturing a field is if that allows you to be closer to the next enemy field.   I still haven't figured out the point of 'winning" the war.
lazs

Ahhh, maybe to get a different map?

I play strategy games like axis&allies and panzer general, this game gives you strategy and simulation. And kev makes a good point, you want to win, but you can't expect everyone to feel the same way. So you just have to join a squad or hook up with another squad that enjoys the part of the game you do and make the best of it. It's just a game, don't let it bother you, just take solice in the fact you played the game the way it was designed.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2003, 06:12:49 PM by Sixpence »
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

(and I still say he wasn't trying to spell possum!)

Offline akak

• Silver Member
      • http://www.479thraiders.com
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2003, 09:28:54 PM »
The problem was that after we had the Bishops down to two bases, a lot of the Knights started to look at this as the opening of vulching season and in the blood lust lost focus.  I know that's what happened at A31.  At one point there were 10 Knights over the field and not one of them hit the town but instead circled the field like vultures until some unlucky bastard was stupid enough to try to take off.

Ack-Ack

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2003, 11:24:22 PM »
Quote from SOB
"When the going gets tough the tough get going ... home. While the rest of the Knit patriots stayed on and fought the good fight, you and other deserters left them to die without any support. That's just terrible!"

Actually SOB I had work to go to, I had been up all night trying to help get the reset. Ask anyone who knows me, when it comes to it I am always in the thick of things.
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline Grizzly

• Nickel Member
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2003, 11:45:21 PM »
I think the answer is that many Knights just don't care about resetting the arena. It probably comes from the Bish being able to rape the arena so many times with good planning and massive assaults. The few times the Knights are about to win a reset, often the Rooks give bases to the Bish, or vice versa to spoil it.

No matter what anyone says, each country has it's own personality, and the Knights just refuse to come together under a leader. Each have their own way of playing, and for many resets are just an irritation. Bottom line is that the Bish and Rooks can't defeat the Knights if the Knights don't compete. You can't have it all; the reward of domination is loss of competition.

IMHO, HTC is making a mistake by setting a goal to capture the arena. Just as much satisfaction can be had (even more) by fighting over just a few bases... the keyword here is "fighting". Those who want to capture bases as fast as they can can do this in another part of the arena (perhaps only a limited number of bases should be capturable). Those who want to just furball can do it in their own part of the arena. We have seen how successful having a place for tanks to battle can be. All these activities can co-exist in the same arena. The only type of game play that is intrusive to all others by nature is arena capture, and that is what HTC has chosen to provide. It's great fun for many, but not all.

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2003, 02:50:33 AM »
lazs

Thanks for that inept report. Now to Chopper cam 5 for for a closer look at the other 99.5 of humanity. Back to you Bob...................:D
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline AKcurly

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2003, 03:01:13 AM »
lazs

For me at least, the only point to "winning the war" is that we change maps.

Unfortunately, "winning the war" turns the arena into something that isn't enjoyed by approximately 1/3 of its population ... loss of DAR, all fields at 25% fuel, no ordnance & etc.

Personally, I wish HTC would change the "winning the war" criteria.  I have no idea what would work.  Perhaps "first side to win 50% of the fields wins the war."

curly

Offline X2Lee

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2003, 06:14:33 AM »
Originally posted by AKcurly
For me at least, the only point to "winning the war" is that we change maps.

Unfortunately, "winning the war" turns the arena into something that isn't enjoyed by approximately 1/3 of its population ... loss of DAR, all fields at 25% fuel, no ordnance & etc.

Personally, I wish HTC would change the "winning the war" criteria.  I have no idea what would work.  Perhaps "first side to win 50% of the fields wins the war."

curly

I have no desire to reset the map. Or win the war.
I do hate it when dar is down and fuel is porked tho...

Offline cpxxx

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2003, 06:43:57 AM »
As a bish, the one thing I notice about you nits is the way you go about taking bases. Gawd it's excruciating, everybody mills around vulching, bombers come over and drop a random selection of bombs here and there. One or two people hit the town, maybe. No one seems to protect the goons. I managed to shoot down a goon with an SBD of all things and landed back on the base.  It takes ages and ages.
I've seen bish raids take two or three bases in the time it take nits or rooks to take one.

All I can say it keep up the good work. We really appreciate it :rolleyes:

The problem of course is that almost everyone in this game is a gawd damm civvie, no discipline, no pride, no training just everyman for himself. Apart from occasional organised squads. There are no wingmen or recognised leaders. But that's the way it is get used to it.

Occasionally you see some organisation. Recently I came across a bunch of P51's hanging about near a field. They didn't vulch but when someone took off one dived down to engage covered by the others. I soon learned not to tangle with them. I'm sure they ran up a few scores between them. Ideally though someone should have organized a few people at another field to steam in and bounce them. Now that would be fun.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2003, 08:11:10 AM »
exactly curly... pizza and infinity are the worse so far as population density and being late war only fields so it doesn't break my heart when they are reset... still... stupid knits won't let the anal bish have the last rook field cause it would "put em ahead"  go figure.

If you like field capture and "winning the war" then perhaps you should all go bish and be happy.  I certainly won't miss hearing most of you on vox.   What ticks me off is that kev for instance... allways goes where the figt is no matter how worthless the fields being fought over and "helps" by nagging and worse.... killing the enemy CV even and ruining the only good fight on the map.

jakal... if you want to hear from the other 95% of the players then don't bother to read this BB... the other 95% of the players don't.. just because you see 3 or 4 guys here all pumped up about building battling doesn't mean that you have a mandate.

I will admit tho that the arena has gotten a lot more late war centric and 'timid" no one ventures out unless they can hit a field with 3 to 1 or more superiority or unless they can hit it when fuel and ack is down.   Then the brave pee 51's and dee 9's show up.
lazs

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2003, 09:23:40 AM »
Lazs,

I don't remember seeing your name in "lights" last night, so I am not sure if you were on ... but if you weren't, you missed a hell of a battle at A9.

It lasted for HOURS. Rooks were coming from the east, from the south, and at one point had a carrier off the coast. The carrier must have sat there for over an hour, pouring out streams of fighters,  before it was finally sunk, but even after that, they continued to fly into A9 until the Knights FINALLY reset the Bish up north.

The Knights put up the most impressive defense that I have seen to date. At no point did the fuel get below 50%, despite at least one flight of 12 formations of NOE bombers that came from the south, and hundreds of JABO attempts from the carrier. I flew the F4U-1 pratically all night and had a blast.

Congrats to the Knigths up north, but had the defense at A9 not taken place, I don't believe the reset would have taken place. So congrats to all the Knights who fought at A9.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2003, 10:05:01 AM »
A few points from your post lazs2
1) "Going where the fight is" as you put it doesn't neccessarely mean attacking worthless bases, you will find me on defense a great majority of the time e.g. at 61 last night when we were getting hit by Rook hoards. I suppose you only attack "worthwhile bases"?
2) I think I have sunk 1 CV this tour, a few nights ago at A12 when it was being overun, and that was from the Shore Battery.
3) Moan - No more than the rest of us when no check six is given out or when the ack is left up on a field. In fact I usually end up going in to try and kill it to help out.
4) "We should all go Bish" - geez, you ask for a little constructive discussion and end up with purile statements like that.
5) "I certainly won't miss hearing you on vox" - see above.
6) The reply to Jackal -  Both in my opinion out of order, both yours and his original post.

The whole original intent of my post was to find out why in some cases we can't seem to get it together, not to turn it into some kind of juvenile he does this, I do that, so he's wrong thing.

Congrats to Northern defence, we manged to hold Rooks at 61 for about 2 hours before finally being overrun. Hated to lose it, but ended up with just too many of them. Both in the air and in GV's. There was a lot of newbies there and what they lacked in skill they sure as hell made up for with enthusiasm, well done all.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2003, 10:09:17 AM by Kev367th »
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2003, 02:12:32 PM »
slap.. sounds like a good fite.   It sounds like it woulda been less fun tho if some building battler had suicided the CV.

kev..  I think you missunderstand... I don't care if you take bases all night long... I don't care if you pork fuel or whatever but... a lot of the time the bases where a fight is at are worhless...  the people are just fighting there because it is the closest and best looking fite.... they don't want u to help byu killing the CV or porking the fuel or fighter hangers..  you are the guy with the brit accent right?   Maybe I have just caught you when you were in a verbose mood but... the endless chatter of nagging and cheerleading and generalship is not that fun to listen to... I am trying to talk to squaddies.   I turn mine off so people don't have to hear me but... I still have to listen to local vox.

as for jakals comment... I was merely pointing out that a very small percentage of the player base reads these posts.

oh... I think my post is germain  to your question.... I just feel that you don't realize that most of the guys are just looking to kill stuff...  they don't care about 'winning the war" just about good fights... for some that means gangbanging but for a lot of guys it means fights like slapshot is talking about.... allmost none feel that building battling is fun.
lazs
« Last Edit: February 25, 2003, 02:15:36 PM by lazs2 »

Offline batdog

• Silver Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com/
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2003, 02:21:55 PM »
exactly curly... pizza and infinity are the worse so far as population density and being late war only fields so it doesn't break my heart when they are reset... still... stupid knits won't let the anal bish have the last rook field cause it would "put em ahead"  go figure.

If you like field capture and "winning the war" then perhaps you should all go bish and be happy.  I certainly won't miss hearing most of you on vox.   What ticks me off is that kev for instance... allways goes where the figt is no matter how worthless the fields being fought over and "helps" by nagging and worse.... killing the enemy CV even and ruining the only good fight on the map.

jakal... if you want to hear from the other 95% of the players then don't bother to read this BB... the other 95% of the players don't.. just because you see 3 or 4 guys here all pumped up about building battling doesn't mean that you have a mandate.

I will admit tho that the arena has gotten a lot more late war centric and 'timid" no one ventures out unless they can hit a field with 3 to 1 or more superiority or unless they can hit it when fuel and ack is down.   Then the brave pee 51's and dee 9's show up.
lazs

Baaaa....I'm out lone wolfing in my G10 of batmon love all the time lately.  Of course I dont swoop down into a 40 man furball where you excel Lazs :). I still remember a great 1 on 1 when you where in a f4u and myself in a 38. Those were the days.
Of course, I only see what he posts here and what he does in the MA.  I know virtually nothing about the man.  I think its important for people to realize that we don't really know squat about each other.... definately not enough to use words like "hate".

AKDejaVu