Author Topic: Aircraft graphics incorrect?  (Read 839 times)

Topcat

Aircraft graphics incorrect?
« on: August 06, 1999, 09:34:00 AM »
Here's a quote from the AH 'Graphics' section information:

Graphics alone don't make a game, but they can add alot to it or detract from it.  We wanted the graphics in Aces High to be as immersive as the rest of the game

Unfortunately, the Spitfire screenshot shows an aircraft that appears to be marked incorrectly.  As far as I am aware, no British squadron had the 'BB' letters.  Will this error be corrected, or am I wrong?

I'd really appreciate an answer to this (I asked earlier with no response) - seems that if you ask about LW paint jobs then everyone troops out to reassure the community that all will be correct.  All you have to do is mention that the tops of the 109 wheel struts are the wrong colour and you get an artwork redesign.

Aircraft markings are quite fundamental things, guys.  Certainly more fundamental than little red stripes on the wheel struts (although I agree it's important to get all details correct)

I'd be happy to suggest a few correct historical markings if you like (some squadrons that flew the Mk.IX), but I'm sure you guys have plenty of reference material    

Topcat
249 Squadron RAF "Gold Coast"

With Fists and Heels
Tangmere Wing

[This message has been edited by Topcat (edited 08-06-1999).]

Offline lasse

• Copper Member
      • Lassenet
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 1999, 12:16:00 PM »
Sorry but i dont have a clue of the BB markings, but however I do miss the exhaust openings on the Spit, or are they there and it is just me who can`t see them ?

------------------
The Wild Vikings
Commanding Officer
lasse-
You smell that? Do you smell that?
Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that.
I love the smell of napalm in the morning.
The smell, you know that gasoline smell, smelled like victory.

Offline Bradburger

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.internet-today.co.uk/myweb/bradburger/Ahsounds.htm
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 1999, 12:19:00 PM »
Topcat, from what I can gather the screenshots that we've seem so far don't resmble the completed product.

I say this because I read a post on here from someone critising the cockpits and the accuracy of the 109 scheme. Pyro's reply was that these were early versions and in now way represented the final one.

Cheers

Paul Bradford

[This message has been edited by Bradburger (edited 08-06-1999).]

funked

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 1999, 01:27:00 PM »
Don't tell me the Spitdweeb anti-LW whiners are going to be on Aces High as well!!!!
Eeeeeeek!!!

Offline Superfly

• Gold Member
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 1999, 01:37:00 PM »
Ok, so I know that BBA doesn't stand for any historical markings during WWII.  Since I was using references from many different Spit9's, I didn't use a specific marking.  I didn't want to play favorites with any one squadron.  The markings mean something, but uh, that's kind of my own little secret.    As for the exhaust openings on the nose, at the time I hadn't made them.  They are on the plane now.

Patience!  For the jedi it is time to eat as well!

------------------
John "SUPERFLY" Guytan - Art Director
HiTech Creations
"The Artist Formerly Known As MONKEY"

John "Superfly" Guytan
Art Director
HiTech Creations, Inc.

"My brain just totally farted" - Hitech, during a company meeting

-blk--

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 1999, 01:50:00 PM »
  Hey, if we can guess what BBA stands for do we win a prize?  Perhaps we might be able to name the next plane to be modelled, or perhaps we may gander into the Alpha testers board?  HMM?

-blk--  <JG5>

The preceeding does in no way indicate that I (-blk--) have any intention nor inclination to participate in such a contest, and should not be taken to indicate that I have any notion nor idea as to the origins of the marking "BBA"

PS-read that real fast and it will sound like the lawyers at the end of commercials.

Bad Omen

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 1999, 02:14:00 PM »
Superfly's girlfriend probably justed ticked him off the night before he did the art and so therefore "BBA" which or course is a reference to "Brenda's Big prettythang."

Offline Superfly

• Gold Member
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 1999, 04:05:00 PM »
LOL!!!

Sorry Bad Omen.  You're far from correct on that one, especially since I don't have a girlfriend at the moment.  However, I do know a girl named Brenda.  heheheh!  

If anyone knows sanscrit, you may figure it out.  May you acheive enlightenment in your search for the answer.

------------------
John "SUPERFLY" Guytan - Art Director
HiTech Creations
"The Artist Formerly Known As MONKEY"

John "Superfly" Guytan
Art Director
HiTech Creations, Inc.

"My brain just totally farted" - Hitech, during a company meeting

funked

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 1999, 04:35:00 PM »
Why are they worried about paint jobs?  When they find out the UFO Energy Device has been removed from the D-fire, THEN they will have a squeak.  

Bad Omen

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 1999, 07:38:00 PM »
Ah Superfly why didn't you say so! Sanskrit, of course!!
BBA: Bdweebit Bwerkun Anglospit
Roughly translates to "Dweeb Machine of the British."

Sorry, its been a long week at the office, I am kinda punchy.;-)

Topcat

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 1999, 08:17:00 PM »
Ok, so I know that BBA doesn't stand for any historical markings during WWII. Since I was using references from many different Spit9's, I didn't use a specific marking.

Sorry to have to say this, but that's a really lame excuse.  Why not choose to stick un-historical markings on the LW aircraft rather han single out the RAF for this indignity? Looks like the LW conspiracy lives        So much effort is put in to getting the graphics on these aircraft correct, but no one gives a damn about the RAF.

Funked - <never mind - probably not worth it>

Topcat
249 Squadron RAF "Gold Coast"

With Fists and Heels
Tangmere Wing

[This message has been edited by Topcat (edited 08-06-1999).]

Offline Downtown

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.tir.com/~lkbrown1
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 1999, 08:48:00 PM »
Call the fire department, I think I see FLAMES

------------------
"I could feel the 20MM Cannon impacting behind me so I made myself small behind the pilot armor" Charlie Bond AVG

Offline Downtown

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.tir.com/~lkbrown1
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 1999, 08:55:00 PM »
Oh, and SUPERFLY.

The "Flying Tiger" designed by Walt Disney for the "American Volunteer Group" Flying in China, Late 1941 to Mid 1942 was not a squadron marking.  The squadron Markings were the China Doll/Hells Angel, Green Apple/w Black Snake and Eve Chasing Adam, and A Panda Bear.  So I don't want to hear anything about it being a squadron marking, it was a unit marking.

I believe that I can provide the mil-spec number for the Sand and Spinach Colors that Curtiss/Wright used to paint the aircraft.
There are color pictures from RT Smith but my understanding is that they are a couple shades darker than the aircraft actually were.

Also as far as I know all the nose cones of the P-40Cs and Es that flew in China were Spinach Green.  I think the one that flew over Chino was inaccurate.  I got ahold of the AVG association and asked if there were any red nose cones, and never got an answer.

anyhow.  I have several books on the P-40 and if you need something let me know.

Sorry can't really speak for the spit or the 190.

------------------
"I could feel the 20MM Cannon impacting behind me so I made myself small behind the pilot armor" Charlie Bond AVG

Offline fats

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 1999, 09:39:00 PM »
--- Topcat: ---
Why not choose to stick un-historical markings on the LW aircraft rather han single out the RAF for this indignity?
--- End ---

As for WB, just ask FT how many questions/messages he has gotten WRT LW color schemes in WB from me or rh53. I bet more than he would care for. They are not historically correct.

Nor was the G-10 picture seen for AH before, and there's no assurance it would be of any specific squadron like you are requesting RAF a/c to be. There's more to historically correct markings than some squad emblems or letters.

//fats

Frying Tiger

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 1999, 10:29:00 PM »

As for WB, just ask FT how many questions/messages he has gotten WRT LW color schemes in WB from me or rh53. I bet more than he would care for. They are not historically correct.

Man, I don't even have anything to do with this game and I'm getting flamed on the message board!  AAAAGH! (grin)

FT