Author Topic: We need this!  (Read 300 times)

Offline Jochen

• Copper Member
      • http://www.jannousiainen.net
We need this!
« on: August 11, 1999, 03:30:00 AM »
Interface for external meters, gauges and indicators!

All the info that is presented by gauges in virtual cocpit could be relayed via USB (for example) to real gauges which present the information. These gauges will, of course, be placed to excact copy of, say, 1:1 FW 190 cocpit. Then all possible display space is reserved dor showing really important info, the world outside tha cocpit.

And possibility to link four Aces High workstations together to render graphics for front, rear and side projctors would be welcome addition.

After the suport for external gauges is completed, pay attention to implement interface for controlling three axis system for cocpic movement by pneumatic or hydraulic cylinders.

------------------
Obfr. jochen 'Stern von Afrika' 2./ Jagdgeschwader 27 'Afrika'
jochen Gefechtsverband Kowalewski

Units: I. and II./KG 51, II. and III./KG 76, NSGr 1, NSGr 2, NSGr 20.
Planes: Do 17Z, Ju 87D, Ju 88A, He 111H, Ar 234A, Me 410A, Me 262A, Fw 190A, Fw 190F, Fw 190G.

Sieg oder bolsevismus!

Offline Sascha JG 77

• Zinc Member
We need this!
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 1999, 03:39:00 AM »
errr..you are kidding, right?  

Sascha

Offline Jochen

• Copper Member
We need this!
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 1999, 04:58:00 AM »

errr..you are kidding, right?

Errr... No?

I can (barely) live without that 3 axis motion control and support for slave view rendering stations but support for real gauges and switches is essential if you want to build accurate cocpit of your favourite plane!

------------------

Planes: Do 17Z, Ju 87D, Ju 88A, He 111H, Ar 234A, Me 410A, Me 262A, Fw 190A, Fw 190F, Fw 190G.

Sieg oder bolsevismus!

Offline Sascha JG 77

• Zinc Member
We need this!
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 1999, 06:07:00 AM »
oh..hehe I didn t know that you can actually link gauges to your computer.
Is there a company who manufacteres them or do you have to do it yourself?

Sascha

Offline Jochen

• Copper Member
We need this!
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 1999, 06:48:00 AM »

oh..hehe I didn t know that you can actually link gauges to your computer.

Everything is possible!

Only trouble is that not a single simulator that I know can output this information to outside world. Aces High could be first  

Is there a company who manufacteres them or do you have to do it yourself?

I think there is some companies that do manufacture this kind of things but they are not very hard to do yourself, provided that you have some knowledge about electronics. I'm only a Bsc EE and I think I could do it.

Would be interesting project, build Fw 190 cocpit and make all the swithces and gauges work. And get large video projector to act as display...

Goodbye real life, hello Aces High!

------------------

Sieg oder bolsevismus!

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
We need this!
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 1999, 07:17:00 AM »
If you have the device we can work out an interface dll.

The interface would have to be both ways.I assume you would want working switches and inputs back to AH?

A full motion simulator was somthing ive always wanted to build. I was a control eng. before I started writing WB. Used to do lots of robot's,Conveyor system's and other type machine's in my past life.

There's a few tech problem's Ill have to address primarly dealing with warp inducing use of the dll but ill think of somthing on it.

HiTech

Offline lasse

• Copper Member
      • Lassenet
We need this!
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 1999, 08:03:00 AM »
To make a sim at home with working gauges is a thing I have planned\dreamt of doing for years, but I have not seen anyone who actually manufacture those things  

But here I possibly can see a solution    (optimistic)

We now know that the developers of AH will support a such ting as external gauges IF we can find some who produces it.
This I bet is a thing lots of flight sim entusiasts have wanted for a long time, I am shure there is a relatively big marked for it.

How about HiTech creations take contact with Thrustmaster who are some of the best on Flight-sim Hardware and checks out the possibillities (spelled right?) of them making it.

They of course could produce alot of different gauges, and you only needed to buy the ones you needed\wanted for YOUR sim or plane ?    

This sertainly would separate AH from any other sim (for a short time since every flightsim on the marked would support these gauges in about a years time  
But then we can say AH was the first one  

But I guess I am hoping for too much here  
Or am I ?  

------------------
The Wild Vikings
Commanding Officer
lasse-

[This message has been edited by lasse (edited 08-11-1999).]
You smell that? Do you smell that?
Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that.
I love the smell of napalm in the morning.
The smell, you know that gasoline smell, smelled like victory.

Topcat

We need this!
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 1999, 08:16:00 AM »
Jochen:  Only trouble is that not a single simulator that I know can output this information to outside world. Aces High could be first

Well, X-plane does it.   http://www.x-plane.com

------------------
Topcat
249 Squadron RAF "Gold Coast"

With Fists and Heels
Tangmere Wing

Offline Sascha JG 77

• Zinc Member
We need this!
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 1999, 10:02:00 AM »
_____________________________ ________________
How about HiTech creations take contact with Thrustmaster who are some of the best on Flight-sim Hardware and checks out                            the possibillities (spelled right?) of them making it.
_____________________________ ________________

Didn t Thrustmaster just sell their PC-peripherals/Flight-equipment division?

Sascha

Offline BadMan 4th FG

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.fourthfightergroup.com
We need this!
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 1999, 10:24:00 AM »
MS Flight Simulator has had the ability for years. All the guage data is allready there for you to grab. All you need to do is write the software to push the guage data to the external guages.

EDIT: Yes Thrustmaster was just puchased by a french company named Guillemont.

------------------
Roy "BadMan" McMillion
4th Fighter Group
335th Fighter Squadron "The Chiefs"
Fourth but First!

[This message has been edited by BadMan 4th FG (edited 08-11-1999).]

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
We need this!
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 1999, 11:18:00 AM »
 Not only it is possible, it has been done for years. See the R&R electronics and their links to the projects people do:
 http://www.concentric.net/~Rrelect/

They (people) even reproduce full-size cockpits for Boeing jumbo jets with authentic gauges and multiple monitors and controls and hidraulic motion, let alone simple fighters!

There are lots of pictures on those pages and technical help available.
 MS FS98 and even MS FS95 has a dll that allows to get all kinds of info from the program, like speed, attitude, fuel level, flaps position. All that can be used to drive real gauges and indicator. There is a whole industru building mock panels for flight sim cockpits.

R&R Electronics makes a card ($300) that allows input of dozens of analog inputs (stick axis, pedals, throttles and any other) and hundreds of buttons and switches. The same card allows output from PC to external devices.

I would have done it long ago if I had an extra room or garage bay for a cockpit. Some day...

So, HTC guys, roll out the game first simple and easy but think about implementing that kind of output in the future, please.

miko--

bonger

We need this!
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 1999, 01:14:00 PM »
Aye guys,

Hey AH has gotta get this EPIC interface dll or make a better one!

I have seen the epic projects and they are very cool. I have a p51 project being built which could benefit from this interface greatly!

"Was trying to attach pic here"

I can get most of the switches and trim stuff to work without a dll but it would be very clunky at best. Gauges would be impossible. I planned on using stick input to make an educated guess at airplane attitude for my motion control but anybody can see the numerous down sides to this method. Attitude information would rule!

Try and figure out a way of outputting multiple views as well as being able to turn the cockpit off (essential for projection outside of a cockpit) and you would have yourself the perfect sim for cockpit builders!

Hey if MS can do it I would think that a cutting edge sim like AH would be a given!

Bonger
XO 487th

Offline Downtown

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.tir.com/~lkbrown1
We need this!
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 1999, 09:29:00 PM »
Lets see,

An Allen bradley VME PLC-5/80.
A xycom VME Rack.
A couple of Xycom Processors.
Need some analog output card to drive the various hydraulics and pneumatics.
Then a network adapter.

I figure two U or |_| shaped flat screen monitors, with the each set to the properview.

Eh, about $90,000 U.S. and I will throw in two months service support.

------------------
"I could feel the 20MM Cannon impacting behind me so I made myself small behind the pilot armor" Charlie Bond AVG

-jagr-

We need this!
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 1999, 11:56:00 PM »
Go take a gander at some of these bad boys...

think of the possibilities...
 http://desktopsims.com/

Offline Jochen

• Copper Member
We need this!
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 1999, 02:03:00 AM »

I assume you would want working switches and inputs back to AH?

That would be nice. Of course you can do it via ordinary keyboard with little hacking but dedicated interface would definitely be nice. I know little about PC I/O stuff and programming, that should not be very difficult to do.

I figure most aviation gauges are controlled by current or voltage (compass and virtual horizon?). It' would not be too hard to make small boxes that convert digital output from AH to analog voltages or currents to control gauges.

I have enough room to build and store 1:1 cocpit section, only trouble is that when I eventually move out of my flat, it must move with me. If I use light materials (thin veneer maybe) and design it so that it can be break down to smaller pieces then...

------------------

Sieg oder bolsevismus!