Author Topic: 21 inches and a new sound card  (Read 836 times)

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
21 inches and a new sound card
« on: April 03, 2003, 08:58:53 AM »
Got a new Sony Trinitron 21-inch monitor yesterday and a new Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card.  Its like simming with a home theatre system.  The monitor is huge, I mean H-U-G-E.  Its replacing a 17-incher and the difference is staggering.  Staggering!  At last sweet love I've finally found thee!

Now I've got a joystick spiking problem I've got to figure out, but that might be the excuse I've needed to migrate to USB technology.

Offline Joc

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2003, 10:40:36 AM »
(Takes Gofaster OFF Xmas card list)
Jealous,very jealous,now I gotta go kick a sheep....:mad:
Joc

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: 21 inches and a new sound card
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2003, 11:32:34 AM »
Originally posted by gofaster

Now I've got a joystick spiking problem I've got to figure out, but that might be the excuse I've needed to migrate to USB technology.

The spiking problem is most likely related to the game port on the sound card you're using and not a problem with the joystick themselves.  If you don't want to fork over the cash to buy all new USB gear, you can get one of those USB game port adaptors like the Rockfire, which works just as good as having a genuine USB stick.

Ack-Ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2003, 11:37:44 AM »
Hmmm. USB adaptor might be the way to go.  I had some slight spiking problems with the SB card for which I was able to compensate using the slider adjustments, but with the new card the spikes are too severe to be adjusted.  Messing with the deadbands and damper also seemed to cut out a lot of the responsiveness of the aircraft controls.

Offline udet

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
      • http://www.angelfire.com/nd/mihaipruna/dogfight.html
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2003, 01:34:38 PM »
so, let's start from the beginning: You gave the plastic surgeon your new video card and you got 21 inches? Isn't that a bit flashy,not to mention anatomically incorrect? :confused:

Offline Vipermann

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2003, 01:45:40 PM »
ack-ack does that adapter work with TM gear? COuld I use that to send config files to my F-16 FLCS?
Get Busy Living Or Get Busy Dieing

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2003, 08:25:08 AM »
The only place I found that carried USB adapators for joysticks was http://www.newegg.com but they're out of stock. :(  Price is/was $13 and according to the description the adaptor had 4 settings, so I'm guessing it could accomodate the CH, TM, and MS pin sets.  Now I just need to find one!

Offline Skorpyon

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2003, 02:09:18 PM »
gofaster...
Go to your local Radio Shack.  For just under $16 they have what you are looking for.  It is very versatile, and can emulate 4 switch selectable modes; gamepad, joystick A, joystick B, and wheel.  The two joystick settings are for TM type and CH type I believe, and this is explained further in the manual that comes with it.  Prior to upgrading to my current X45 setup, I used it with my old Quickshot Sky Commander HOTAS setup.  This was old and pretty low tech, but the adapter smoothed out the spiking VERY nicely.  The adapter you need is catalog # 26-164, Gameport to USB adapter.  As far as I know, its adjustability should allow it to work with just about any setup you would need.  Good luck!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2003, 02:13:40 PM by Skorpyon »

Offline CavemanJ

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2003, 08:11:48 AM »
Originally posted by gofaster
The only place I found that carried USB adapators for joysticks was http://www.newegg.com but they're out of stock. :(  Price is/was $13 and according to the description the adaptor had 4 settings, so I'm guessing it could accomodate the CH, TM, and MS pin sets.  Now I just need to find one!

Run down to yer local RadioShack

Cat no. 26-164

Cost me about $10-12 iirc.

edit: Guess I shoulda read the whole thread, Skorp already posted it w/ more detail.

Offline MwXX

• Copper Member
For JOC
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2003, 09:47:17 AM »
<-------------------------------------------------thought I would help you out a little....

KICK ME KICK ME:D

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2003, 01:36:20 PM »
Thanks for the tip on the Radio Shack adaptor.  Local CompUSA stores didn't have the adaptor - Radio Shack will be my next stop.  Meanwhile, NewEgg.Com got the adaptors back in stock for $13 so that'll be my alternative if I can't get it locally.

Offline Siaf__csf

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2003, 02:14:29 PM »
21 inches and my wife starts to make new sounds..

Oops.. off topic.

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2003, 12:30:02 PM »
Originally posted by CavemanJ
Run down to yer local RadioShack

Cat no. 26-164

Cost me about $10-12 iirc.

edit: Guess I shoulda read the whole thread, Skorp already posted it w/ more detail.

He shoots, he scores!  Picked one up today at lunch for about $17.  They had a bunch of them on the wall.  I'll give it a whirl tonight when I get home.  Thanks for the pointer!

Offline Skorpyon

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2003, 05:15:49 PM »
Hope it works for ya go... can't think of any reason for it not to work.  C Yaz.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2003, 05:29:30 PM by Skorpyon »

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2003, 08:36:30 AM »
The USB adaptor solved my spiking problems, but the downside is that the hat switch isn't recognized by AH.  I configured it through Windows and WindowsME recognized the hat switch function, but when I configured it in AH it saw the hat switch as button combinations instead of the POV.  Not sure what the problem is there.  Any ideas?