Author Topic: "Assists" must die  (Read 367 times)

Offline PG monster

• Zinc Member
      • http://wio.boom.ru
"Assists" must die
« on: October 09, 2001, 05:28:00 AM »
"Assist" is the starange, not historical thing from WB. I suggest a new scoring consisting of the individual kills (assign to the pilot inflicted over
60% damage to a victim) and the shared kills (assign to all the pilots which pinged the victim if nobody inflicted 60% of damage). Perk points will need to be reassigned accordingly.

Offline TUCKO6

• Zinc Member
      • http://members.tripod.com/~tuck_06/index-10.html
"Assists" must die
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2001, 04:17:00 PM »
Yup...I agree.    :p

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
"Assists" must die
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2001, 04:27:00 PM »
Well... Historically pilots needed visual confirmation from another squadron or wingman-- or the plane had to come down inside of friendly territory.

I assume we could do it that way, I mean there weren't computers back then to tally the percentage of damage to a plane when it went down.
-SW

Offline majic

• Silver Member
"Assists" must die
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2001, 05:43:00 PM »
Yeah, but don't assists give you a warm and fuzzy feeling inside?  Or is that just the liquor...

Offline Boozer

• Copper Member
"Assists" must die
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2001, 05:49:00 PM »
I guess you'll have to define what shared kill means to you... 4 guys ping him no one gets 60% damange and you want to hand out 4 kill counts or .25 to each?

Either way,  flying around pinging everyone once should give me the greatest kill count for my money? hmmm, go rethink it.

I think thats why they're called assists and aren't worth as much, works for me.

Offline Crapgame

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.we-know-whats-right.blogpsot.com
"Assists" must die
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2001, 09:59:00 PM »
Boozer? Is that who I think it is? If so, give me a shout...
<S>
Crapgame
villarides@home.com

[ 10-09-2001: Message edited by: Crapgame ]

Offline Boozer

• Copper Member
"Assists" must die
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2001, 12:28:00 PM »
If I am who you're thinking I am, it's me  :)

The old time DOS AW guy 1137 & 4038, then AOL AW trainer guy Boozer, then Gamestorm guy Boozer, now AH guy Booz.

Booz
*hic*  <--TM boozer

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
"Assists" must die
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2001, 12:42:00 PM »
My only beef about kills/assists, is when you make the plane unflyable, then some guy comes in and "finishes" it off and you get the assist.  Damage after the plane has been rendered unflyable shouldn't count towards kills/assists.  Though that might stop people from blowing alt to get that last ping on a flaming con.   ;)
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline DamnedATC

• Copper Member
"Assists" must die
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2001, 12:47:00 PM »
IMHO, the net result is not worth the time for HTC to rework the code.  I'd rather them spend time on more important things.

my .02
ATC

Offline Am0n

• Nickel Member
"Assists" must die
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2001, 12:49:00 PM »
Originally posted by Nifty:
My only beef about kills/assists, is when you make the plane unflyable, then some guy comes in and "finishes" it off and you get the assist
I agree, that reallly gets me to, happens a lot to BNZ figthers and thats all i fly.

Just recently i had a case of that, 2 teamates chasing some lone N1K. He was shaking them all over in his super craft. I made 2 diving passes at him damaging both times, on each occasion i saw depri (spelling) fall off his craft, the second he got the thick black smoke. At that point he couldnt maintain control or speed so he got wacked buy the guy behind him and he gets the credit.. "Assisst on N1K1 nerd"

One thing i will say though, with out the guy that got credit for the kill persuing him it may not have been so easy to BNZ him, so he indeed deserves some credit, i dont know if he deserved the full credit for it though.

Or does it give each of the fighters a assist in this case?

[ 10-10-2001: Message edited by: Am0n ]

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
"Assists" must die
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2001, 12:58:00 PM »
I'm with PGmonster.  There were no Assists.  Victories, Shared Victories, Probables, Damaged.  Obviously we don't have probables because the scoring system is all-seeing.  But the other three categories should be implemented.

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
"Assists" must die
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2001, 01:21:00 PM »
Öf course there were assists and half kills. In some services individual kills weren't counted at all.

Haven't you guys some thing more pressing to squeak about?

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
"Assists" must die
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2001, 01:24:00 PM »
Originally posted by Seeker:
Haven't you guys some thing more pressing to squeak about?

nope, 1.08 is good IMO!   :)  Well, there is the CT, but there's a forum specifically for that.
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline Am0n

• Nickel Member
"Assists" must die
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2001, 01:30:00 PM »
Whos squeaking????
this is a discusion. Its what happens on BBS's, weird EH?

As i glance down this thread all i see is smilies and no angry faces or exclamations.. Looks to be a civil discussion to me.

You should go cut and paste that flame into a thread about "Perk the N1K" or something similar, theres plentyof um.

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
"Assists" must die
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2001, 01:42:00 PM »
You are.

"He was shaking them all over in his super craft".

... "Assisst on N1K1 nerd"

There's plenty of them alright. You'd think it would get old month after month, after month....