Author Topic: Affirmative Action  (Read 638 times)

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
Affirmative Action
« on: May 05, 2003, 04:10:33 PM »
Snatched this from Montzuma's post re. Colin Powell. This is worth its weight in gold.

, "Why do all of these corporations pour a ton of money into . . . the next election? The answer is they are buying affirmative action, they are buying preference, they are buying quotas -- all the things we think are terrible when the same terms are applied to minorities and those of our citizens we think are less advantaged."

Now I'll even campaign for him!

:D

Offline ra

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Affirmative Action
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2003, 04:29:01 PM »
At least those corporations have to earn the money they use to buy this 'affirmative action'.  What do racial minorities have to do to get it?   Just declare themselves victims based on genetics.

I'd like to hear Prince Powell defend a college admissions board  turning down a highly qualified poor white candidate in favor of a less qualified rich black candidate.  I'm sure he could do it, after all he is intelligent and articulate.

ra

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
Affirmative Action
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2003, 04:44:20 PM »
(your straw man is showing his need for a brain.... go see the Wizard)

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
Affirmative Action
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2003, 04:47:33 PM »
Don't forget that the economic health of America is directly tied to the fortunes of those corporations.  One might construe Powell's comment to be anti-job and pro-low-wages.

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
Affirmative Action
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2003, 04:49:33 PM »
You are assuming that the companies throwing the money are the best available... no proof of that anywhere.

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
Affirmative Action
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2003, 04:51:10 PM »
Edit:  I can't read.

In other words there is no proof anywhere that there is competition between corporations in the US?   Surely you jest?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2003, 04:54:27 PM by funkedup »

Offline ra

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Affirmative Action
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2003, 04:55:44 PM »
Originally posted by midnight Target
(your straw man is showing his need for a brain.... go see the Wizard)

You'll be glad to know you lost me here.  I am tempted to think that you have no response, but I know better than that.

ra

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
Affirmative Action
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2003, 04:59:37 PM »
Originally posted by ra
You'll be glad to know you lost me here.  I am tempted to think that you have no response, but I know better than that.

ra

Yea it was kind of obtuse...

A straw man is an argument that is a "set-up". Like choosing an incredible example of something (college admissions board turning down a highly qualified poor white candidate in favor of a less qualified rich black candidate.) that is obviously not the real issue.

Then I threw in an Oz link to show my ability to completely confuse the issue. :D

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
Affirmative Action
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2003, 05:03:55 PM »
Originally posted by ra
after all he is intelligent and articulate.

Hey you aren't supposed to call black people articulate, it's racist.  :)

Offline ra

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Affirmative Action
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2003, 05:04:07 PM »
Like choosing an incredible example of something (college admissions board turning down a highly qualified poor white candidate in favor of a less qualified rich black candidate.) that is obviously not the real issue.

If you think this does not happen then you should pay more attention to the issue before sending people off to Oz.

ra

Offline Syzygyone

• Silver Member
But
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2003, 05:05:21 PM »
Good post, thought provoking!  But, with regard to your response to Ra, perhaps it's not a straw man.  Isn't the Supreme Court grappeling with just that exact issue?  If not, I'd appreciate hearing how you think it differs?

Thanks, bud!

Cya Up!

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
Affirmative Action
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2003, 05:07:01 PM »
Hey you might want to change the title of the thread MT.  Remember the "Reparations" thread?  I think SaburoS will be here in a minute to start calling everybody racist klansmen.  :)

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
Affirmative Action
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2003, 05:10:45 PM »
OTW to get my hood and cape and sceptre!

(Forgive me for joking in your thread MT.  I can't get too fired up over a debate concerning somebody that we both would vote for)

Offline Syzygyone

• Silver Member
I'd vote for him too!
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2003, 05:16:54 PM »
Originally posted by funkedup
OTW to get my hood and cape and sceptre!

(Forgive me for joking in your thread MT.  I can't get too fired up over a debate concerning somebody that we both would vote for)

I've thought for quite awhile that he should run in 2008.  But, the many comments in the recent Colin Powell for President thread on this bbs points out some very significant political issues with which he will have to deal if he ran.  So, while I'd vote for hm too, in order to get millions to vote for him, it is good to air out what differences there might be on an issue so crucial as Affirmative Action would be in a race he was in.  

Does anyone suggest that he was the beneficiary of affirmative action?  If not, how does that auger, for or against it.  If not, then he earned his way to where he is.  Will that reflect on his opinions about Affirmative Action?  You can't really tell from the post that arget used to start this thread.  I think it's worth discussing, (if anything on this BBS is worth discussing)

Offline Puke

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
      • http://members.cox.net/barking.pig/puke.htm
Affirmative Action
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2003, 06:02:14 PM »
Like choosing an incredible example of something (college admissions board turning down a highly qualified poor white candidate in favor of a less qualified rich black candidate.) that is obviously not the real issue.

It happens, and it happened to me personally and I'll never forget it.  Many years ago I had a pretty good job but got laid off and after a year when I couldn't find any jobs in my industry, decided to go back to the new universty here, Cal State San Marcos.  To plead my case in person, I visited the counter but I was turned down because I had earned too much money the year before (but I'm jobless and broke now!) and my parents earned too much money (who weren't giving me a dime.)  But while at the counter pleading my case for assistance so I can get into their economics program (kind of ironic), another assistant walked out from back to ask the counter people if they were notifying black students that they have too much money available and they need to be lending it out.  (I'm certain she said black students and not minorities.)  My jaw dropped onto the counter...stunned that I was in this Twilight Zone.  Ever since then, I'm big time against "Affirmative Action."

No joke, I do not kid about this.  I never did get that degree.  Thanks, affirmative action!  Too much money yet they couldn't loan it to me.