Author Topic: Here's something you Yanks should understand  (Read 4020 times)

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Here's something you Yanks should understand
« Reply #75 on: May 12, 2003, 05:31:26 PM »
That SR71 may pay for itself yet, well, the military as whole I mean. Just wait 'till that Iraqi oil starts pourin' in.

To really get our monies worth we may have to enslave Europe. I could really use a good foot rub. ;)
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #76 on: May 12, 2003, 05:34:40 PM »
Bring it on Yank. I got a sander around here that would be just the ticket. Which is your preference - glass paper or sand paper? ;)
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #77 on: May 12, 2003, 05:42:51 PM »
Originally posted by Hangtime, Edit by me
We ain't jealous. Ther frankly is nothing at all to be jealous of!

You guys never made a Spruce Goose. - Why would we want to?

Or a decent muscle car. - Again, we have corner's, we make better cars (Aston Martin, Bentley, Jaguar, Land rover, Rolls-Royce, TVR, McLaren etc etc etc)

Or a World Trade Center. - We dont need em, big sky scrapers would look out of place in our historic cities - ever been to London?

Or a United Nations. - We are a founding member.

Or a Subway below a water table that crosses 16 fault lines. Safely. - We have no fault lines, but we did build a tunnel under a sea.

Or put a reactor on a fault line. Safely. - Again, no fault lines here.

Or built a decent nuclear powered aircraft carrier. Let alone 15 of 'em.  - We have no need for huge nuclear aircraft carriers.

Or a spyplane that could overfly all yer puny tulips with impunity. Say CHEEZE!  - We have spy sattelites and better human intelligence than you will ever have.

Or a Lunar Lander that could be tasked as a lifeboat.  - a what?

Or put a Man on The Moon. - why would we need to?

Or a build spacecraft that could be reused. - nope, we haven't

Which we did all of these things during my lifetime, without any outside help.

And we still can do it better, faster, and post a profit.

Jealous? - hell no
« Last Edit: May 12, 2003, 05:46:49 PM by Furball »
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #78 on: May 12, 2003, 05:43:58 PM »
Originally posted by Dowding
Government subsidies are the way forward comrade! ;)

Dowding.. seems to me that proofs in the pudding. Our nation is neither bankrupt, nor is it likely to be.

Now, how is the American Experiment to be judged? Guage it on standard of living? Economic Poweress? Manufacturing? Technology? Innovation? Research?

What?

Just what is it we're supposed to be jealous of again?
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #79 on: May 12, 2003, 05:50:30 PM »
Swoop, I do not think you should be pointing out anyone else's spelling errors as yours are numerous indeed.  Would you like me to point out a few dozen?
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #80 on: May 12, 2003, 06:05:14 PM »
Originally posted by Hangtime
Dowding.. seems to me that proofs in the pudding. Our nation is neither bankrupt, nor is it likely to be.

Now, how is the American Experiment to be judged? Guage it on standard of living? Economic Poweress? Manufacturing? Technology? Innovation? Research?

What?

Just what is it we're supposed to be jealous of again?

The last time I saw the US deficit it looked alot like bankruptcy.  A world approved and sanctioned bankruptcy admittedly...but a bankrupty nonetheless.

When does the judgement of this great experiment occur?  You guys need to be running things for a few centuries yet before that call can be made.  After all, Britannia ruled the waves for a very long time, from a very small island before you guys took over the lead role.  

Most countries are jealous of the United States in some form or another, it is only natural.  One thing that Britain is distinctly NOT jealous of is that lead role though, I suspect.  It has a tendancy to all come to a crashing end, and people get hurt.  

I hope the US doesn't have as hard a time as the Brits did, but somehow, given todays international situation...I doubt it.
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline GrimCO

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.GrimsReapers.com
« Reply #81 on: May 12, 2003, 06:36:27 PM »
Originally posted by Curval
Grim...

I don't have anything against America..or think that anything is owed.  I'm just absolutely shocked to see how quickly things can change.

Less than a month ago the US and Great Britain were allies in a common cause.  

Now we are back to bickering.

This post is merely Swoop's reaction to all of Nuke's recent posts about how great America is...and how we should all look up to..and respect....Americans, merely by virtue of the fact that they are Americans.  

My post you refer to was a knee jerk reaction to all the flak Swoop is taking here.  I was a big supporter of the US in the war against Iraq.  Now it seems we must all bow to America's greatness.  Sorry...I don't bow to no-one.

Awwwww Curval,

I've never had a single problem with Swoop even though I don't always agree with is viewpoints.

Unlike some people, I'm more inclined to weigh a reaction based upon fact rather than national pride. That doesn't mean I'm not a proud American, but I still respect other people's opinions unless they're just making a blatant attempt at bashing.

I think most of us know Nuke makes a lot of controversial posts to get under other people's skin. I just take it for what it is, and pay it no heed.

I also won't bow down to anyone, so I don't blame you there. No offense intended, and none taken sir.

Offline Airhead

• Gold Member
      • http://www.ouchytheclown.com
« Reply #82 on: May 12, 2003, 06:47:37 PM »
My wife doesn't give me oral as much as she did before we were married. Do I heve grounds for a "breach of promise" divorce? After all, I thought the head would last forever.

Offline AKS\/\/ulfe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #83 on: May 12, 2003, 07:03:14 PM »
This is why the human race is stuck on this planet drying out it's resources and progessively making it even less able to support life... cuz we're a bunch of handsomehunkes always drawing imaginary lines in the imaginary sand.

Let me know when we make it past the moon.
-SW

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #84 on: May 12, 2003, 07:03:30 PM »
Originally posted by Steve
Swoop, I do not think you should be pointing out anyone else's spelling errors as yours are numerous indeed.  Would you like me to point out a few dozen?

I never said my spelling was perfect.  I mainly miss 's.

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
« Reply #85 on: May 12, 2003, 08:05:45 PM »
Swoop, I have nothing against you and I understand why you started this thread.

I started my Concorde thread in response to Dowdings rantings about the American SST in another thread.  

I have nothing against the Concorde . It's a remarkable and beautiful plane. I saw one land at Phoenix a few years ago and it made news just coming here.

Brits and French on a great aircraft, unequaled in commercial aviation history.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #86 on: May 12, 2003, 11:39:18 PM »
Originally posted by Swoop

And is there anything major any nation has built in recent years with zero outside assistance?  

Windows.

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #87 on: May 12, 2003, 11:47:45 PM »
Originally posted by Airhead
My wife doesn't give me oral as much as she did before we were married. Do I heve grounds for a "breach of promise" divorce? After all, I thought the head would last forever.

Every once in a while somebody cuts thru all the bullpucky and hits the nail right on the (ahem) head.

The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Naso

• Silver Member
      • http://www.4stormo.it
« Reply #88 on: May 13, 2003, 05:16:25 AM »
Originally posted by AKS\/\/ulfe
This is why the human race is stuck on this planet drying out it's resources and progessively making it even less able to support life... cuz we're a bunch of handsomehunkes always drawing imaginary lines in the imaginary sand.

Let me know when we make it past the moon.
-SW

AKswulfe.....

[SIZE=8][/SIZE]

:)

Offline Naso

• Silver Member
      • http://www.4stormo.it
« Reply #89 on: May 13, 2003, 05:17:26 AM »
Originally posted by Arlo
Windows.

Arlo, ROTFLMAO, windows, Muhahahaha!!! :D