Author Topic: Booooorrrrriiiinnnngggg  (Read 2988 times)

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
Booooorrrrriiiinnnngggg
« on: May 16, 2003, 06:55:46 PM »
I'd rather have a setup like Sicily where one side has a completely dominate plane (that will embolden the pilots to FIGHT) than a setup like this where one side has the turning planes and the other side has the bore and zoom planes.  

I managed to find some good fights by flying a P-47 and turnfighting it, but damned if you are going to find any Allied pilot ready to mix it up with less than 3 to 1 odds and an initial alt advantage.  Boring.

Offline Batz

• Gold Member
      • http://bellsouthpwp.net/w/o/wotans/4JG53/
Booooorrrrriiiinnnngggg
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2003, 05:33:21 AM »
that how these set ups end up Bore N ZZZZZ the ijn has no way to catch umm.

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
Booooorrrrriiiinnnngggg
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2003, 05:52:22 AM »
My kingdom for Franks.

but 'till that day, I guess we'd have to endure.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Booooorrrrriiiinnnngggg
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2003, 11:04:51 AM »
ended up in a betty for three sorties ...

that should tell ya something - I hate bombers

sad thing is - shot down 5 planes and a couple of assists in the three sorties and landed them all - better than I could do in a zero

what's the setup for 5/23????
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
Booooorrrrriiiinnnngggg
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2003, 03:04:25 AM »
that how these set ups end up Bore N ZZZZZ the ijn has no way to catch umm.

Kinda like fighting 205's and 190's in Spits.:p

Offline Batz

• Gold Member
Booooorrrrriiiinnnngggg
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2003, 10:40:13 AM »
the spit is the fastest diving plane in ah and holds e through out the pull out.

If you read what Urchins says hes implying that 109 190s and 205s stay and fight which allows the spits to have fun to. The opposite is true for p38 and jug pilots when they will come in with 5k dive in a completely un agressive fashion miss then extend away a sector or 2 to repeat it.

I'd rather have a setup like Sicily where one side has a completely dominate plane (that will embolden the pilots to FIGHT) than a setup like this where one side has the turning planes and the other side has the bore and zoom planes.

I managed to find some good fights by flying a P-47 and turnfighting it, but damned if you are going to find any Allied pilot ready to mix it up with less than 3 to 1 odds and an initial alt advantage. Boring.

Its all right there in bold in case ya missed it.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Booooorrrrriiiinnnngggg
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2003, 03:48:14 PM »
Salute to the IJ players that aren't whining (which appears to be the vast majority).

A BIG salute to Keyapaha who fought my Corsair versus his Zeke to a draw.

The arena looks like it enjoys a fair amount of popularity on both sides.

Kudos for the setup and the welcome late pac change of pace.

Some minor wishes (no big deal but would be nice):

• The "standard" F4U paint back in late war setups.
  • Since the fight pretty much stays an A30 vs A40 thang ... make A30 capturable too.
  • Two fleets per side. Two carriers per fleet. Spawn points in the rear.

As far as complaints about planes designed to stay fast staying fast when they fight planes that were designed to turn ... that are turning - ROFL!

You'll find that when the Niki is taken to alt (as well as the Ki or Zeke) that it'll put a great deal of hurt on lower Allied planes (as most IJ players seem to know).

Another rather interesting tactic is to use the lap board to monitor where the enemy darbars are. The further away they start ... usually the higher they are. IJ planes climb pretty good but if you're more concerned about a co-alt/high-alt fight than you are a low-alt bounce, then keep `em on the deck. SA will save your cherry most times ... unless you're in a furball down there (oh wait ... those don't happen ;) ;) - nudge nudge).

Keeping those Japanese fleets regularly parked north and south of 40 seems like a good strat on your part. Flak puffs have been taking their toll on many planes above 2k (up to practically any alt reachable - and yes, I know ;)) and it does indeed give you refuge on the deck flying over them. It's a challenge having to deal with them.

Other than that ... crying about one side utilizing a tactic in a setup and claiming that your side never does when the plane strengths are inversed in a different terrain setup smacks of a great deal of hypocrisy and diaper rash. :D
« Last Edit: May 18, 2003, 04:08:32 PM by Arlo »

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
Booooorrrrriiiinnnngggg
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2003, 04:48:22 PM »
Has anyone ever seen Batz in the CT?:D

Offline Drunky

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Booooorrrrriiiinnnngggg
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2003, 07:35:57 PM »
Yes but you probably saw him as Wotan...even so, you don't see him in the MA as much lately (if at all) for probably the same reasons you don't see him in the TOD's and the CT anymore.

Things seem to be a bit porked (unbalanced) and it's just not fun constantly pushing a boulder up a hill.  Especially when you complain that it's uphill both ways and nothing changes.

But that is just my interpretation :D
Drunky | SubGenius
Fat Drunk Bastards
B.A.A.H. - Black Association of Aces High

Offline brady

• Platinum Member
      • http://personal.jax.bellsouth.net/jax/t/y/tyr88/JG2main.html
Booooorrrrriiiinnnngggg
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2003, 09:29:35 PM »
"The "standard" F4U paint back in late war setups."

The paint job's are tied to the map and this is a late 43 paint job for a RNZAF unit based in the slot on Bouganville. In otherwords we cant realy just change it.

"Since the fight pretty much stays an A30 vs A40 thang ... make A30 capturable too."

All the bases on the map are capturable.

"Two fleets per side. Two carriers per fleet. Spawn points in the rear. "

The present map set up has one CV per country, we cant change this either it is tied to the map.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Booooorrrrriiiinnnngggg
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2003, 09:56:42 PM »
I'm glad all the bases are capturable. Several players witnessed two full loads of drunks run into the maproom at 30, one group right after the other, without the base being captured.

As far as the other two requests are concerned, what I'm really askin for is a new terrain based on the Slot `42. I'm sure it's not an impossible task ... unless you're running XP like me and the terrain generator crashes the moment you try to open it. ;)

10Bears ... how hard is it to open a terrain in editor and make these changes? I'm willing to give it a shot but I'm just a little hesitant to carry through with the task of reformatting my damned Presario to Win 98 se - even though I threaten to every other day (program compatibility wizard my ass) . :)

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
Booooorrrrriiiinnnngggg
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2003, 10:12:47 PM »
Flew a bunch of sorties with the Ki-61. Fine fighter, had no trouble downing P-47s, F4Us and P-38s. I didnt land all my sorties, but neither did they.

As for a great diving plane that holds its E? ya, its the Ki-61, dont need the Spit IX in Sicily to do that. In a shallow dive the 61 will hold enough smash to close most US a/c, and hold it long enough to get a good shot in.

As for Allied pilots doing XYZ. Every group flies different, some furball, some run, some grab, some dont. Same in MA. For me, I found plenty of fights tonight, I cant speak for others. Some posts sound more like boredom with Aces High disguised as a critique of the CT.

Bottom line, Its a fine setup, as good as any other. Surely ETO 1944 cant be the only CT setup we see?

p.s. Sehob, Buzz8 and Osage were all giving a good account of themselves in P-47s, P-38s, and F4Us, sunday night. to them.
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline brady

• Platinum Member
Booooorrrrriiiinnnngggg
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2003, 10:20:40 PM »
The problem is that not only do you have to flaten the town you have to flaten the base to take the field, their are some town buildings on the base that nead to flatend at the same time as the town does, basicaly lay wast to all the buildings on the entire field and the town and you will be able to take it.

10Bears is retiring from AH, or so I have been told, so changing this map might be a bit hard to do. Imo it is a huge improvement over the last slot map we had and other than the basees being hard to take a great map to be shure, and more so than any other map it has plane skins approparate to the theater it represent's.

Offline Batz

• Gold Member
Booooorrrrriiiinnnngggg
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2003, 10:49:07 PM »
Flew a bunch of sorties with the Ki-61. Fine fighter, had no trouble downing P-47s, F4Us and P-38s. I didnt land all my sorties, but neither did they.

Current ct tour

as of 30 sec ago

Squire has 0 kills and has been killed 0 times in the Ki-61.

ok I see your point

:rolleyes:

Offline brady

• Platinum Member
Booooorrrrriiiinnnngggg
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2003, 10:52:30 PM »
WOW, thats gota hurt......LOL

Or does he have another acount..........?, man I hope so.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2003, 10:54:38 PM by brady »