Author Topic: Garage Sales  (Read 345 times)

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
Garage Sales
« on: May 18, 2003, 07:01:26 AM »
Garage Sale Saturday was good.

Speaker stands at “The Good Guys”, $89 bones. Got them for $1 a pair. They need a 2 minute paint job, no big deal.

My 7 year old 4 “D” Battery headlamp I just can’t work without with the broken clip and 3 year old duct tape holding the 4 D batteries in, and the head strap snapped, was $3 bucks, new in the wrapper.

Then we stopped at a house that had a load of books. The seller was too cool, and apparently his parents were big WWII fans. He gave me a box and said load it up for $5. He didn’t want to haul them to the garbage.

Well then….the first book was “Tuskegee’s Heroes" hardcover signed by 2 actual members! Signed “TAI 1942-1949 whatever that means. That’s GOT to worth something. Then  Samurai! and Currahee! in paperback and although I have read them, will make good donations to my friends, or good rereads in the bathroom without worrying about wrecking them.

The hardcover Almanac 1931-1945 WWII History is pretty great, a few Steven Ambrose best sellers, and 10 more great books from U505 history, to “Decisive Battles of WWII in hardback. I even got my AM Radio hero’s 1995 book “The Savage Nation”.

Get up early, it’s a dog eat dog, but damn if you can’t put $20 to work.

Offline GrimCO

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.GrimsReapers.com
Garage Sales
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2003, 07:34:36 AM »
I haven't been to a garage sale in years...

The old people scare me. They develop superhuman strength upon seeing something that peaks their interest and are capable of easily knocking someone down who is half their age and twice their size.

Reminds me of the Budweiser commercial with the old man swinging his cane around saying: "Ok, who's the hero...".

Maybe I'll work up the courage to go to one again and score some goodies for cheap.

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Garage Sales
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2003, 08:17:24 AM »
The old folks you can deal with. Just park next to their Van door blocking the cripple ramp. Sure, they yell at you, but are stuck just the same.

It's the new-age "Ebay" bastards that damn near cut you off parking in the neighbors driveway, power braking their GEO Metro's in sideways in front of you at 7:00am.

Still, if you can shrug off a Friday night spin, and get up by 8:00am, there is just sweet deals to be had.

There is some real bad sales too, like yesterday, a guy had 50 copy's of a ATI card driver on CDROM, and his wife some really bad knicknacks, with a stack of old Reno Gazette papers "for free". Oh boy, wow.

Still, it's fun to get out, and I have found some great deals.

edit- Forgot to add, a Microsoft Sidewinder USD Gamepad for $1 as well. Have to break out Madden 2002 or some sports games if the FGB's play sports games)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2003, 08:22:42 AM by Creamo »

Offline Torque

• Gold Member
Garage Sales
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2003, 11:13:37 AM »
I gave up on the garage sales to much wading thru the trash to find the diamonds in the ruff like you did Creamo.

I prefer the "leaving the country estate sales" execs with big fat relocation bonuses they just want to liquidate as quickly as possible, more so their residences are usually furnished by professional designers and these execs have no idea of the real value.

I just picked up a very nice brand new Imported Italian leather couch for the upstairs office value $3500 for only $500. I was going to offer $1500 but he jumped in before i could say anything. This is good if your significant other half ties you to a small budget and you desire something a little more.

Needless to say i nearly busted a nut when this guy only asked $200 fer his nice two year old 22" Sony Trinitron monitor and $300 fer the brand new 35" Toshiba TV. I spent less than i would of on the taxes if i bought them retail.

Gett'n up early has its' rewards and you can take that to the bank.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2003, 11:16:12 AM by Torque »

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Garage Sales
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2003, 12:26:12 PM »
Yup.

Offline OZkansas

• Nickel Member
Garage Sales
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2003, 02:04:10 PM »
A story from the other side.  When my health went south and I had to move into a "home", read 600  sq ft.  apartment, I hired someone to do an estate sale of all the stuff I had accumulated in the 7 years of home ownership.  You would be surprised at all the stuff you have when it is "out for sale"!  People sure did get a bargain on my tools and other stuff.  The sale raised a little over the cost of hiring it done.  Due to health there was no way I could have done the job they did!  Now that things have settled I wish I  would have saved some of my books and tools.

Look in the local papers for estate sales as I think these are people who need to get rid of stuff due to a trama in their life style.  You shoud find better bargains at an estate sale then at a garage sale where people are tyring to sell stuff that will be thrown away if it doesn't sell!

Offline -Concho-

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
Garage Sales
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2003, 04:08:06 PM »
Originally posted by Creamo
The old folks you can deal with. Just park next to their Van door blocking the cripple ramp. Sure, they yell at you, but are stuck just the same.

LMFAO - Creamo you are a true student of the game  lol