Author Topic: adjusting views  (Read 572 times)

Offline kanzlr

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.berny.at
adjusting views
« on: May 23, 2003, 04:39:38 AM »
hi!

i already asked this online yesterday (my first day with AH *G*)

I have a problem adjusting views.

in WB3 i have the following setup:

1 4-way hat is for looking forward, left, right, back. the view is sticky, ie doesnt snap back to the front view after releasing the HAT.

1 4-way hat to do fine adjustments (ie, 4 pixels to the left and a bit up, not what you do in AH with cursor keys)

i want the same here in AH. it makes me sick to use 3 HATs to view around and have to hold them all the time :(

(PS i use a complete CH USB setup, so may i can do something with the control manager to get the setup that way?)

i already tried AH half a year ago and quit because of this. would be nice to find a solution, because i like it otherwise.

best regards

kanzlr
II./JG3 'Udet'

Offline Furious

• Gold Member
adjusting views
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2003, 04:49:37 AM »
Your USB CH gear doesn't have an 8 way hat?  With an "UP" modifier you'd get 17 different views from one hat and this would be the better route overall.

Anyway, if this is really what you want to do, you will need to map something to activate the f8 key.  Still won't need 2 different hats to do it though, as once you activate f8 your original hat will pan for you.

Hope that helps.

F.

Offline kanzlr

• Zinc Member
adjusting views
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2003, 04:53:11 AM »
ok: i have an 8 way hat :o)

i can map a single button to "up"? nice :o)

ok. can i make the views sticky also?

thanks

kanzlr
II./JG3 'Udet'

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
adjusting views
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2003, 05:40:39 AM »
Here's a suggestion you might like.

All mapped view keys should be set as "hold until released".
1) Map just keypad keys 4 (left), 6 (right) and 2 (look back) to the hat. The corner views are automatic.
2) If you have a separate throttle (CH), map any button (I use on the the finger buttons on front of the throttle) to keypad 5 key. That is the look up modifier.
3) The hat forward view (push hat fwd) might be best used as a "look over the cowl" view for landing and cv ladings. It can also be used for high deflection shooting. To set that view do this:
  a) hit f1 key
  b) push and hold your hat in the forward position.
  c) hit your page up key until you head goes all the to top of the the cockpit (don't bang yer head on the canopy).
  d) use you arrow up and arrow down keys to adjust head position for the best view over the nose.
  e) once you have it where you like it hit f10 key to "save head position"
  f) release the hat
4) Instant views (vs head twisting) is set by hitting the f9 key.

Note: you can fine adjust all of your views by using the f1 key method listed above.

Good Hunting!

Ren

Offline kanzlr

• Zinc Member
adjusting views
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2003, 05:52:38 AM »
not exactly, but better than nothing :o)

what does "hold till released" mean?

i mean, heh, everything is held until its released *g*

dont get the meaning.

regards

kanzlr
II./JG3 'Udet'

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
adjusting views
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2003, 06:04:42 AM »
Originally posted by kanzlr
not exactly, but better than nothing :o)

what does "hold till released" mean?

i mean, heh, everything is held until its released *g*

dont get the meaning.

regards

kanzlr
II./JG3 'Udet'

'Hold Until Released' means as long as you hold down that button or hatswitch, whatever you've programmed as a function will continue until you release the button or hatswitch.  A good example is the views.  As long as you hold the hatswitch back to look behind you, you'll stay in your 'Dead 6' view until you release the hatswitch which then will switch you back to your forward view.

Ack-Ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline kanzlr

• Zinc Member
adjusting views
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2003, 06:06:28 AM »
thats exactly the opposite of what i want.
when i release the hat i want the view to stay where it is, and not snap back

:confused:

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
adjusting views
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2003, 06:15:48 AM »
thats exactly the opposite of what i want.
when i release the hat i want the view to stay where it is, and not snap back

:confused:

The best way to get the view as you want it is just to press F8 while flying.  This will set your views to Panmode so when you move your hatswitch to cycle through your views, you'll pan your virtual head around and your view will stay wherever you stopped your pan.

As for programming your hatswitch, just program them with the default view key commands and with the Panview mode in AH, you should get the views you've been wanting.

Oh yeah, one more thing.  You'll have to press F8 every time you take off, otherwise your views will default to the Snap-view mode, which is a cross between Pan-view and Instant-view.

Ack-Ack

Offline kanzlr

• Zinc Member
adjusting views
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2003, 06:19:38 AM »
problem with the F8 mode:

view pitch/yaw has to be mapped to a joystick?
i mapped it to the mini stick on the throttle.
but per default i look to the floor and can only view to the left side, because the center of view seems to be shifted?

how can i map this to the hat?

regards

kanzlr
II./JG3 'Udet'

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
adjusting views
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2003, 06:30:07 AM »
problem with the F8 mode:

view pitch/yaw has to be mapped to a joystick?
i mapped it to the mini stick on the throttle.
but per default i look to the floor and can only view to the left side, because the center of view seems to be shifted?

how can i map this to the hat?

regards

kanzlr
II./JG3 'Udet'

Program the default view keys to your hatswitch.  These keys will also pan your head around in Panmode.  The default view keys are your KeyPad keys.

Remember when you are programming your hatswitch, you must make sure the keys are programmed "hold until released" so you get a smooth head movement when you pan around instead of jerky, almost stuttering like movements.  After you've programmed your hatswitch with the views, enter AH and spawn an airplane and take off.  Press F8 to enter Pan-view mode and use your hatswitch to pan around.  It will swivel your head all around the cockpit and once you release the hatswitch, it will stop and stay at whichever position your view was.

You shouldn't have to assign any axis to your hatswitch in order to pan your head around in the cockpit.

Ack-Ack

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
adjusting views
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2003, 07:54:14 AM »
Kanzlr,

A couple of silly questions, please. It may help me understand what you are trying to accomplish. The CH F16 joystick and throttle provide alot of 4 way hats and buttons for your use, along with the trigger, 8 way hat and "B" button.

How long have you flown in wb3?

What do you use the 8 way hat for?

You also mentioned look down using the throttle joystick. What are you looking at when you look down?

While it is nice to pan around the cockpit were you aware that and "instant" (f9 key) look at what the enemy is doing is far faster?

Thanks

Ren

Offline kanzlr

• Zinc Member
adjusting views
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2003, 08:36:07 AM »
hey :)

first, thanks for the efforts!

add WB3: one and a half year.

i dont like to use the 8 way hat for 8 ways, because imho its not comfortable to do the diagonal ones.

i look to the left down. i see...hmm....half of the window and the left cockpit, dont remember exactly. with the ministick i can look up and forward. but not to the right, because stick movement ends there (yes, its calibrated right).

i know its faster to go instant. and i do in WB. instant front, left, right, back. but for fine adjustments i use the pan. because i have no deadspots. if i have to use 3 hats to look around i often hit the wrong one, look in the wrong direction and loose sight.

what would be nice is to control the pan with the upper 4 way hat on the throttle, while still have a snap view to the left,right,front,back with the 4 way stick hat.

makes following a con with the eyes more comfortable.

and having the head not jump back to the fron on release, makes things like searching for incoming low JUs or stuff way easier :o)

but i quit WW2OL already because i couldnt setup the view/hats like in WB.

hm :p

best regards

kanzlr
II./JG3 'Udet'

Offline Furious

• Gold Member
adjusting views
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2003, 09:07:31 PM »
With the default zoom, there are no dead spots between views with an 8way hat, as the views overlap.

Seems to me you are making it to hard on yourself.

Also, you might try going to setup/joystick/select joystick and map the view pitch/yaw to your ministick.

Offline Furious

• Gold Member
adjusting views
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2003, 09:12:10 PM »
Also, just to be sure, you do know that you can use the arrow and pageup/pagedn keys to give yourself a better view out of the cockpit.  After you get it like you want hit f10 and it is saved with the cfg file for that aircraft.  Each plane can have all its views customized.