Author Topic: TIA Terrorist Information Awareness  (Read 526 times)

Offline Duedel

• Silver Member
TIA Terrorist Information Awareness
« on: May 23, 2003, 07:41:55 AM »
Terrorist Information Awareness

For me as a German it's sometimes hard to comprehend what ur government does (some issues of the Patriot Act come to mind).
I can understand that many things changed since 9/11 but some things are IMHO just (at best) actionism.
Can u US guys tell me if ur OK with TIA and if so why (or why not)?

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
Re: TIA Terrorist Information Awareness
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2003, 07:49:34 AM »
Originally posted by Duedel

For me as a German it's sometimes hard to comprehend what ur government does (some issues of the Patriot Act come to mind).
I can understand that many things changed since 9/11 but some things are IMHO just (at best) actionism.

I havent read it, but I love it because it's American .

As an American it's sometimes hard for me to comprehend what the German government has done........ from starting two world wars till present.

Offline Duedel

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2003, 08:06:41 AM »
At least it seams u can read WTG Nuke!

Offline Syzygyone

• Silver Member
Re: TIA Terrorist Information Awareness
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2003, 08:15:14 AM »
Originally posted by Duedel

TIA is an conceptual experimental test bed for development of computer technology to recognize data patterns which are indiciative of terrorist activities.  It has been misportrayed by the media of E.P.I.C. and the ACLU as being the incarnation of Big Brother, with the govenrment grabbing and storing massive amounts of data on american citizens.  Nothing could be further from the truth but the truth does not seem to carry the day in the hyper senstiive halls of Congress where even just the term "PRIVACY" sends shivers down the spongy substance those mealy mouth cretins call a spine.  The government has to find terorists. Terrorists leave electronic footpriints that are descernible from those that aren't terrorists.  TIA looks for those footprints.  

To quote a famous German Fighter Ace: "Everything else is rubbish"

Offline SLO

• Gold Member
Re: Re: TIA Terrorist Information Awareness
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2003, 09:32:54 AM »
Originally posted by Syzygyone
 The government has to find terorists. Terrorists leave electronic footpriints that are descernible from those that aren't terrorists.  TIA looks for those footprints.  

does that mean the gov. has the right to check EVERYONE just to find some MAYBE footprints as you say.....

bah no matter what we say...its gonna happen anyway...cause guys like Nuke.....whatever my gov. decides will be good eh Nuke...just because its american...right Nuke:rolleyes:

Offline fd ski

• Silver Member
      • http://www.northotwing.com/wing/
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2003, 09:39:16 AM »
TIA is an conceptual experimental test bed for development of computer technology to recognize data patterns which are indiciative of terrorist activities.

They are yet to come up with working technology to recognize the data pattern indicative of spam vs normal e-mail..... i'd imagine this would be tad harder too...

Offline Syzygyone

• Silver Member
Re: Re: Re: TIA Terrorist Information Awareness
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2003, 09:52:16 AM »
Originally posted by SLO
does that mean the gov. has the right to check EVERYONE just to find some MAYBE footprints as you say.....

bah no matter what we say...its gonna happen anyway...cause guys like Nuke.....whatever my gov. decides will be good eh Nuke...just because its american...right Nuke:rolleyes:

First, of all Slo, it's a duty, not a right, of the government to protect the welfare of the nation.

Secondly, come on Slo,  you are not that easily gullible that you automatically believe the tripe that the ACLU puts out, are you.   You're smart, so, give us an option.  How do you find bad guys if you don't look for them amoung the good guys?  Every cop in every land looks at every one, always, or he/she ain't much of a cop.  Every cop looks for something out of the ordinary to tip off criminal behavior.  The indicators are will established, and can be and are studied, i.e. criminology degress, etc.  

TIA has never proposed, nor has anyone in TIA ever said  they are going to check everyone.  Only EPIC and the ACLU have promulgated that lie.  TIA proposes to develop and test systems which will look for the, now better known, patterns that indicate terrorist activity.  If your pattern doesn't indicate that your are a terrorist, it won't fit the algorithms and you won't get looked at.

Maybe it's okay with some that we foresake our safety and even our very existence in some instances because some system could possibly be used to invade someone's privacy.  Well, for me, and for a vast vast majority of American's, knowing that my activity patterns doesn't indicate terrorist activites, I want the government to look for those patterns.  And if foeigner's in America don't like what we do to protect our nation, then, I guess they don't have to come here do they?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2003, 10:04:35 AM by Syzygyone »

Offline Syzygyone

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2003, 10:01:11 AM »
Originally posted by fd ski
They are yet to come up with working technology to recognize the data pattern indicative of spam vs normal e-mail..... i'd imagine this would be tad harder too...

Well, first I will ignore the idicoy of equating spam to terrorism.  BUt, then I have to ask, are you saying that because it's going to be hard to do, that we should just roll up in a ball and let the terrorists in.  That kind of thinking scares the hell out of me!  That's what the gawddamned terrorists are banking on, that they can use our systems against us; that because it is hard, we won't be able to ferret them out in our midst!.

Sheesh, what has to happen to convince some people of the need to do whatever really hard work its takes to protect ourselves from an amorphous asymetric enemy bent solely on our destruction?  Do terrorists have to blow up some sky scrapers to get your attention ........!!

try this article on for size

Cabdriver Is Arrested on Drug Charge, but Interest in Explosives Attracts Attention of F.B.I.
By ANDY NEWMAN, NYT, May 22, 2003

In March, the authorities said, Sayed Abdul Malike, a cabdriver from Brooklyn, went to Miami, took a boat tour of the port, and asked enough questions about bridge design and how close the boat could get to cruise ships that the captain called the F.B.I.

In April, the authorities said, Mr. Malike met with an undercover F.B.I. agent working on the joint terrorism task force in New York, looking to buy explosives from him. How much? he was asked. Enough to blow up a mountain, Mr. Malike replied, according to court papers.

In May, Mr. Malike arranged to buy Valium pills from the undercover agent, the authorities said. On Tuesday, he bought 100 of them, was immediately arrested, and gave many misleading answers to investigators' questions, prosecutors said. Yesterday, he was arraigned and held without bail.

Mr. Malike, 43 years old and a native of Afghanistan, is charged with drug possession and making false statements, but his alleged interest in substances more dangerous than sedatives has piqued the government's curiosity.

The executive assistant United States attorney in Brooklyn, William J. Muller, said the investigation of him is continuing.

Mr. Malike's unintended contact with terror investigators began on March 21, when, prosecutors said, he asked a store owner in Queens for information on making a bomb. The store owner contacted the F.B.I.

A week later, on his tour of the port of Miami, Mr. Malike asked the captain "a series of questions abut the infrastructure of bridges, such as how the drawbridges and access ladders worked, and about how close the boat could get to the bridges and cruise ship," according to court papers.

The captain called the F.B.I. and the F.B.I. questioned Mr. Malike. He told them he was simply a tourist, and after showing his legal immigration status was confirmed, he was released, prosecutors said.

On April 4, Mr. Malike, back in New York, met with the undercover F.B.I. agent, who told him he could get him some C-4, a powerful plastic explosive, prosecutors said. On April 9, prosecutors said, Mr. Malike told the agent he was interested in the C-4. He said that he also needed 5 bulletproof vests, night-vision goggles, a camera for the front of his car, 50 sleeping pills and 50 Valium pills, the authorities said.

The deal for the explosives was never completed, however, because Mr. Malike said he did not have a place to store them, prosecutors said. He was, however, still interested in the pills, and on Tuesday he bought 150 of them, leading to his arrest, they said. Prosecutors said that on questioning, Mr. Malike lied about his contact with the agent, his interest in acquiring explosives and his travels to Florida.

He would face up to 6 years in prison if convicted of all charges.

Offline SLO

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2003, 10:09:42 AM »
too many what IF's syz.....

Offline Syzygyone

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2003, 10:20:07 AM »
Originally posted by SLO
too many what IF's syz.....

Okay, then you stay in Canada land because we won't be able to entertain you if you visit.  Since it's apparently okay with Cretian that the terrorists usualy come into the US via our northern border, we'll be too busy doing some hard work trying to figure our how to identify them and keep them in Canada!

:D :) ;)

Offline SLO

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2003, 10:27:06 AM »
Okay, then you stay in Canada land because we won't be able to entertain you if you visit.  Since it's apparently okay with Cretian that the terrorists usualy come into the US via our northern border, we'll be too busy doing some hard work trying to figure our how to identify them and keep them in Canada!

:D :) ;)

come on syz.....you know its not ok.

we just try harder then you NOT too infringe on privicy:D

and btw...just for your info.....check the stats for Illegal's entering by Canada or the Mexican border...who you think would win:cool:

Offline Syzygyone

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2003, 10:41:39 AM »
Originally posted by SLO
come on syz.....you know its not ok.

we just try harder then you NOT too infringe on privicy:D

and btw...just for your info.....check the stats for Illegal's entering by Canada or the Mexican border...who you think would win:cool:

I'm tallking about terrorists, not illegal aliens (therein lies yet another thread though).  Most terrorists have come into the U.S. through Canada.

As for trying harder to protect privacy, I was unaware that Canada had chapters of the ACLU and EPIC, etc. etc.

:D :D

Offline SLO

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2003, 11:32:47 AM »
grrrr....grrrrrrrrrrrrr.....G RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

close the Boston airport cause thats where they got there plane.....close all your flight schools cause thats where they where taught too fly......

gimme a break syz:(

Offline Syzygyone

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2003, 11:35:54 AM »
Originally posted by SLO
grrrr....grrrrrrrrrrrrr.....GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

close the Boston airport cause thats where they got there plane.....close all your flight schools cause thats where they where taught too fly......

gimme a break syz:(

Er yeah, after they came in from Canada!

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: TIA Terrorist Information Awareness
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2003, 12:41:08 PM »
First, of all Slo, it's a duty, not a right, of the government to protect the welfare of the nation.

True, but the government is not allowed to violate the Constitution in doing so.
sand