Author Topic: Just out of curiosity...  (Read 2951 times)

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
Just out of curiosity...
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2003, 07:43:55 PM »
<----- or something like it. (Evolution is a fact too. :) )

Offline Hortlund

• Platinum Member
Just out of curiosity...
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2003, 07:46:36 PM »
First there was nothing...
Then it exploded.

(Big Bang theory)

Yeah, I dont see why anyone would have a problem with that one...
« Last Edit: June 03, 2003, 07:49:11 PM by Hortlund »

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
Just out of curiosity...
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2003, 07:48:33 PM »
From Mr. Hawking:
Together with Roger Penrose, I developed a new set of mathematical techniques, for dealing with this and similar problems. We showed that if General Relativity was correct, any reasonable model of the universe must start with a singularity. This would mean that science could predict that the universe must have had a beginning, but that it could not predict how the universe should begin: for that one would have to appeal to God.

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
Just out of curiosity...
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2003, 07:56:22 PM »
Originally posted by Hortlund
First there was nothing...
Then it exploded.

(Big Bang theory)

Yeah, I dont see why anyone would have a problem with that one...

lol Hortlund!

I wish you were a US judge......case closed!

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
Just out of curiosity...
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2003, 08:16:33 PM »
MT:  Shack!

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Just out of curiosity...
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2003, 08:41:02 PM »
I am god.
sand

Offline AKS\/\/ulfe

• Platinum Member
Just out of curiosity...
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2003, 09:30:49 PM »
Nuke- I'm not the one who said there has to be a god, you did.

I challenged you in that there doesn't have to be a god, but can be. You really did nothing to prove that there has to be a god, as it is- the universe and matter could have always existed in one form or the other... in a singularity or in a laid out universe with galaxies and planets in it. You say there has to be a beginning, and MT's quote shows that even Hawking believes there was a beginning to the universe, atleast in the current rendition, but my point is- it could of always existed.. just not in the form we are familiar with.

The universe could constantly be recreating itself every (insert one helluva huge number here) years, so while we can tell the age of our universe... in the very distant future it could pull itself back into a singularity and then "Big Bang" again back into another universe, and repeat.

A god at any time in our not-so-distant past has been used to explain the, at the time, unexplainable- plagues, lightning, good crop seasons, rain, floods, etc.

In time, we have found the reasons for the above.

All I'm saying is, there doesn't have to be a god... its typically used as a means to explain the currently unexplainable, due to a lack of experience/intelligence on our behalf.

Hortlund- that statement is incorrect. Visit the above website I posted in this thread and read up on the Big Bang universe by clicking on the "Universe" link on that page.

MT- while Hawking is a very intelligent (if not the most?) man, what makes you think he can tell you for certain there is a god?

He certainly can't prove it mathematically. :)
-SW

Offline Estes

• Gold Member
Just out of curiosity...
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2003, 11:20:01 PM »
Ok, let's say there is a god... and let's say if aliens do exist than how can that be explained because most religions say man was made in Gods image?

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Just out of curiosity...
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2003, 11:35:24 PM »
I could answer that, but I think I'll need to smoke a large joint first.
sand

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
Just out of curiosity...
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2003, 11:50:40 PM »
you bogarting again, sandy?
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline majic

• Silver Member
Just out of curiosity...
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2003, 11:55:13 PM »
"Ok, let's say there is a god... and let's say if aliens do exist than how can that be explained because most religions say man was made in Gods image?"

Umm, the bible's got it wrong.  Disproving the bible, which is easy (according to the science we know), does not disprove the existence of some almighty, omnipotent being.  How could a mere mortal accurately describe to other mere mortals the concept of God (Or Allah or whatever) and what that being wants and how it does things?  The "made in God's image" thing was just man's ego showing through.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Just out of curiosity...
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2003, 12:12:09 AM »
Originally posted by cpxxx

I do like the idea of there being alternative universes out there. That does appeal.

Yeah, the Multiverse theories are interesting. Maybe black holes and quasars are where they connect?
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
Just out of curiosity...
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2003, 12:16:05 AM »
If you really want all this explained, go buy the books:

The Science of Discworld      &
The Science of Discworld 2: The Globe.

Offline GrimCO

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.GrimsReapers.com
Just out of curiosity...
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2003, 12:18:53 AM »
I didn't start this thread to determine if there was a God or not.

Personally, I believe in God for what it's worth, but it has nothing to do with the original question of this thread... In all actuality, I didn't believe in a God or a superior being until I started studying astronomy, astrophysics, and cosmology.

I do however believe in the big bang theory myself, and I also believe firmly in string theory. I think they're on to something here...

Offline hawk220

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Just out of curiosity...
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2003, 12:22:55 AM »
Yeah, the Multiverse theories are interesting.

totally.. Scientific American had a great article last month on Multiverses and the 'other worlds' theory.. according to the idea.. there is a universe where every possible outcome of everything has and is happening..

there is a universe out there where Michael Jackson is President.. scary, no?