Author Topic: My dear Mr. hblair...  (Read 543 times)

Offline [Sg]ShotGun

• Zinc Member
My dear Mr. hblair...
« on: August 06, 2000, 02:10:00 PM »

just forget it...

[This message has been edited by [Sg]ShotGun (edited 08-07-2000).]

Offline Jigster

• Copper Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
My dear Mr. hblair...
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2000, 02:50:00 PM »
Nevermind

[This message has been edited by Jigster (edited 08-06-2000).]

Offline milnko

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cameltoe.org
My dear Mr. hblair...
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2000, 02:53:00 PM »
Took the words right off of my keyboard Jigster  

------------------
CyberPilots have bigger Joysticks
BANDITS ON MY SIX!!!!

<< MILENKO >>
ACES HIGH ASSASSINS Website
WB/AH ASSASSINS Website

Offline DrSoya

• Zinc Member
My dear Mr. hblair...
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2000, 06:17:00 PM »

Shotgun wrote:
<----extremely bad pilot(just ck score)

What does this code of conduct says, again?

Say, if you had a personal message for hblair, why did you put it on the BBS?

Also note that you should add "never write in IRC grammar" in your supposed code of conduct. When I see text written as if by sound, I usually stop reading, as most of the time it will prove not worth reading (besides it really gets on my nerves).

From now on, .squelch [SG]ShotGun for me.

------------------
DrSoya
308 (Polish) Squadron "City of Cracow" RAF [AH]
303 (Polish) Squadron "Kosciuszko" RAF [WB]
Part of the Northolt Wing (First Polish Fighter Wing)

[This message has been edited by DrSoya (edited 08-06-2000).]

Offline BigJim

• Zinc Member
My dear Mr. hblair...
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2000, 07:03:00 PM »
Hmmmmm Guess you were never an Amateur Radio Operater Doc since most messages sent by CW (continous wave) used that type of spelling to shorten transmissions.  Now please post your definition of "communitcations" since mine is "that if the message is recieved and understood it is successful" this of course leave's out "educated" types like yourself who seem to think that if "they" don't care for it then the "world" should comply.  I suggest you look at a dictionary and see how many NEW words and meanings have been added over the years.

-towd_

My dear Mr. hblair...
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2000, 07:52:00 PM »
spent many a hour chasin both the turds , no huge alt or e adv all tulips and heels lol.great pilots lol

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
My dear Mr. hblair...
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2000, 10:45:00 PM »
Ya coulda emailed me.

My point was this...

You are known by more pilots than just me to be a guy who not only runs(no big deal), but runs *and* bails with no damage (just to save face?).

Then when I chase you down and get a kill on you, you get pissed because *I* wouldn't fight you on *your* terms.

Thats a crock my friend.  

You wouldn't even speak to me on private when I gave you a <S> only a "F U" on open channel.

Funny stuff really.  

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
My dear Mr. hblair...
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2000, 11:20:00 PM »
Hehe... I agree Hblair... it is funny stuff.  

I suppose this thread is dead though.. he's currently opening a new thread with the reply to this one... Meet ya there.

Offline DrSoya

• Zinc Member
My dear Mr. hblair...
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2000, 11:36:00 PM »

BigJim wrote:
Now please post your definition of "communitcations" since mine is "that if the message is recieved and understood it is successful"

Good thing that you speak of communication and the key word here is understanding.

Have you stopped to think about the origin of posters here?

For example, have you taken a look at the location described below my username?

I am from Canada. From Quebec City more precisely, which is in Quebec.

It does not take an educated American to know that Canada has two official languages. That a quarter of its population speaks French as first language, and it's mostly located in Quebec (but it's most probably not known to non North Americans).

The following may be a fact unknown by most Americans though: a very small part of that French-speaking population speaks English proficiently. Amazing, isnt't it?

So English is a second language for me. And I worked damn hard to be reasonably fluent in it. And after 15 years, my learning process is not over yet, for while I'm reasonably fluent with the written form, I'm still uncomfortable with the spoken form.

Let's get back to our subject, written communication. Have you reflected on what happens when you read? On how you actually decode symbols into words then in concepts? You probably haven't, since as an American (assuming you were born there) you never had to (really) learn another language.

What actually happens is that you don't decode letters one by one. You recognize a word as a whole. It's the shape, the pattern you recognize. Else it would take you a lot longer to read, no?  This is made the more clear when studying a completely foreign language, like Russian with its different alphabet. I can easily recognize Russian words that are part of my (infinitesimal) vocabulary, but I have to painstakingly decode new words cyrillic letter by cyrillic letter. You also can see it in a child who's learning to read. It takes him/her time to decode new words.

Now take a text which is written in what I call "IRC grammar", where words are written by sound. An expression like "b4" is not in the dictionary. To a non-IRC chatter (or a non amateur radio operator) its pattern is unfamiliar, unrecognized. So it has to be decoded character by character. When groups of letters are replaced by numbers, it adds difficulty to the decoding process, for the result doesn't make sense at first.

It doesn't help either when vowels are left off, as in the word "dragn" above. It took me almost half a second to decode "dragn", for the first word that came in my mind was "dragon".

Add to that the personality of the reader, and I mean visual or auditive. I'm a very visual person. For example when someone takes on the task of explaining to me driving instructions, I simply stop listening and just make "uh uh" sounds from time to time, then ask for the address. Then I go find a map, locate the place on the map, and picture my route from it. I don't care about how many turns I have to make, or if there's a MacDonald's on the previous corner, for it doesn't help me. I just want the address and a map.

I depend a lot on the visual aspect.

So when I find myself with a text such as written by [Sg]ShotGun, what happens?

Every word written by sound requires of me more effort, more time. The speed at which I can read (which is already significantly less than the speed at which I can read French) such a text is then greatly reduced. This irritates me in the extreme.

Now, in my experience, I have found that most people who resort to using "IRC grammar" are the kind that I don't want to bother with: people with "mental laziness".
The (usually but not always) young people with no respect for the others, who don't care about the feelings of the others, who resort to insults when things don't go their way, and even when they do go their way, who show little sportsmanship, who show very little flexibility and are unwilling to discuss civilly or intelligently in the respect of others.

(Sidenote: I have found that a lot of those characters are typical Quakeheads, who are the main reason I stopped playing those kind of games, and to my distress I'm seeing more of those persons in AH than I expected.)

You may say it's paradoxical to complain of laziness when I say I don't want to spend the time decoding "IRC grammar", but make no mistake about this: I'm always willing to make an effort when it's worth it. I have found that in most cases, with the "IRC grammar" crowd, it's not worth it.

this of course leave's out "educated" types like yourself who seem to think that if "they" don't care for it then the "world" should comply.

I do care. I care about how people treat one another. I care about other people's lives, about their pains, their joys. I don't want people to do my bidding.

I may be "educated", but I work in a technical profession. I have met non educated people who have more analytical minds than some educated types I know, and people who make sure you see their engineer's ring or doctor's degree get on my nerves.

I'm sorry if I have offended you or anyone. It was not my intent. As I said, "IRC grammar" gets on my nerves, and I'm seeing too much of it on this BBS for my taste. (More than on AGW anyway. <G,D,R>   )

It's not a question of being educated or not. It's just a question of facilitating communication. And writing as good English as one can is the best way to have good communication.

BTW I'm not a doctor. My handle is a self-reminder so that I never take things too seriously. (Obviously it fails most of the time.) See the link in my profile.

Cheers,

------------------
DrSoya
308 (Polish) Squadron "City of Cracow" RAF [AH]
303 (Polish) Squadron "Kosciuszko" RAF [WB]
Part of the Northolt Wing (First Polish Fighter Wing)

Offline Lizard3

• Silver Member
My dear Mr. hblair...
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2000, 12:15:00 AM »
Ever try to read a Doctors handwritting? Now thats a failed attempt at communication  

------------------
Lizard

"Engage the enemy; not the keyboard"
Hangtime

Offline BigJim

• Zinc Member
My dear Mr. hblair...
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2000, 12:59:00 AM »
Well Doc it so happens that I lived in Vermont for 27 years and know quite well where Quebec City is, who Rennie Lavec is, how the frankophones have destroyed Quebec's bilingual situation (even tho there are PLENTY of anglophones in Quebec who are natives) and I suspect you work for Bombardie (since most of Quebec City does). I would write this in French but I am very rusty since I left Vermont (where many DO speak French) so I am not very simpathic with your arguments so far.  I got very little simpathy in Montreal when I wanted to order food in English so why I should I accord any different to the French speakers in my country.

Offline BagPiper

• Zinc Member
My dear Mr. hblair...
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2000, 02:03:00 AM »
asdf

[This message has been edited by BagPiper (edited 08-07-2000).]

funked

My dear Mr. hblair...
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2000, 02:32:00 AM »
SG you are 3 for 3 this weekend on threads that belong OFF F(*&ING TOPIC!!!  TAKE YOUR PERSONAL S*(& ELSEWHERE!!!

Offline Snoopi

• Zinc Member
My dear Mr. hblair...
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2000, 02:55:00 AM »
Although I sometimes use "IRC speak", I can understand where "DrSoya" is coming from.

Point 1:
As I am learning a new language, I can understand how someone who does not count english as his/her 1st language, can find it difficult to read "IRQ Speak" posts.

Online, I sometimes forget that the internet is international and not everyone speaks/reads english fluently. (or at all)

Point 2:
I also have noticed that a fair amount of people who post in "ICR Speak" SEEM to fit in the ignorant, rude youngster category that he
mentions.

BigJim:

you said....
"I got very little simpathy in Montreal when I wanted to order food in English so why I should I accord any different to the French speakers in my country."

Guess what...
THIS ISN'T YOUR COUNTRY....
THIS IS THE INTERNET, WHICH IS INTERNATIONAL.

Although I have experienced the same anti-english attitude in Quebec, I DON'T lump all Quebecois in the same category.

I also DO NOT subscribe to the common belief that all U.S. citizens are rude, loud, racist people who:
 - think Canada is a full of snow 12 months of the year.
 - expect everyone in a foreign country to speak english to them while on holidays
(without making a small effort to speak the local language).
 - watch Jerry Springer
 - <Fill-in-the-blank>.

Therefore I think it's bad that you pre-judge "DrSoya", or anyone else, in that way.

If you were not be prejudical, and I just misunderstood, then please excuse my comments.

Regards,
Snoopi

Offline texace

• Silver Member
      • http://www.usmc.mil
My dear Mr. hblair...
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2000, 02:59:00 AM »

SG you are 3 for 3 this weekend on threads that belong OFF F(*&ING TOPIC!!! TAKE YOUR
PERSONAL S*(& ELSEWHERE!!!

I agree 150% funked. Well said  

------------------
Lt. Col. Aaron "txace-" Giles of the 457th BG
    "Fait Accompli"

[This message has been edited by texace (edited 08-07-2000).]