Author Topic: Most Outrageous Defensive Move?  (Read 2066 times)

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
Most Outrageous Defensive Move?
« on: June 22, 2003, 11:35:05 AM »
What is the most outrageous defensive move you make to get your guns on someone who attacks you in a superior aircraft with superior speed and alt?  

What is your surefire alltime best secret to turn the tables on an attacker who started with all the advantages?  

And finally, is this move capable of being done in real life aircraft or only in a computer simulation?
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)
Paramedic to Perkaholics Anonymous

Offline 214thCavalier

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2003, 02:06:57 PM »
Drag to friendlies ;)

Offline ccvi

• Gold Member
      • http://www.carl-eike-hofmeister.de/
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2003, 03:02:33 PM »
That one's easy. Can be seen in the MA all day.

HO.

Offline SunKing

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2003, 03:12:32 PM »
I'd guess  Alt-F4   . I've seen some bombers use that in the MA.

Offline stegor

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2003, 03:16:06 PM »
If it is any plane other than La7 I try every move, scissors, sliceback, barrel-roll, and so on....sometimes I have good results in trying a hard reverse.
If its a La-la-dweeb, experience teaches it is better to fly straight and slow, so you can reup in less time....;)

Yes, you can record this as a whine:p
Nibbio
4° Stormo C.T. "F. Baracca"

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2003, 03:54:16 PM »
What is the most outrageous defensive move you make to get your guns on someone who attacks you in a superior aircraft with superior speed and alt?

HO :p

Bozon
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline HeLLcAt

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/xiZm04
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2003, 09:42:04 AM »
Come on everyone it's definately a fricken reversal...it's not that hard to pull off and if you work on it you can keep some E up to fight the guy still. Yes, I am DEFINATELY sure this can be done in real life, but you would be pretty dissy after doing it.

Offline RightF00T

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2003, 01:06:45 PM »
If I told you, I would have to use it then kill you ;).

Offline wetrat

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2003, 01:50:01 PM »
A gentle turn while their coming in, tightening as they get closer, then a loop after you're just about heading in their direction. Odds are they'll turn at you and bleed all of their E, and you'll be right behind them.
Army of Muppets

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2003, 01:58:37 PM »
Charge'em.  If you lose, they get very little perk points.  If you win, its a bonanza.  If you both lose, you still won because you were in the inferior aircraft and therefore won the battle of the tape, kinda like if David got his skull split open by Goliath's falling sword after Goliath took a rock to the head.

That's one of the many reasons I fly the P51B and P47D. I can HO all day and still feel morally superior to all of the Spit IX, N1K2, and LA7 flyers.  :p

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2003, 02:00:49 PM »
Originally posted by wetrat
A gentle turn while their coming in, tightening as they get closer, then a loop after you're just about heading in their direction. Odds are they'll turn at you and bleed all of their E, and you'll be right behind them.

I see a lot of Spit pilots pull that manuever.  I just keep going after the merge and get some distance from them as they try to accellerate after the turn drains their energy.  A few times of this routine and they either end up on the deck or get frustrated and charge into my guns.

Offline edge12674

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2003, 04:30:48 PM »
As a zeke pilot I find myself in the position of fighting a bogey that has greater speed, better guns, but can't turn as well.  Here is what I try to do:

1) Set them up so they are on my long six with an altitude advantage. (gives them a false sense of security, especially if they notice I am giving them an alt advantage.)

2) Start a gradual level turn and as they get closer tighten the turn so that your starting to blackout.  You want to be flying at a 90 angle to their turning aircraft before going to step 3.

3) When they are just entering the 1K range, roll inverted and perform a split-S. (they should be in in your straight up view).  You know you have timed it perfect if you see them firing and missing you, but you don't have to cut it that close.

4) Pull up into a vertical climb immediately from the Split-S and check your rear view, rolling in the direction they are turning.   Whichever way the bogie turns just pull back inverted onto his six.  In most cases they are either flying straight blacked out or still in a turn blacked out and low on E.

5) Roll out and take the shot.

This works about 80% of the time.  When it doesn't it is because the bogie did not tighten his turn with you and zoomed away to try again.  At that point you know you have an ace on the other line and the fight gets fun.  This tactic also works best when at a relatively low alt (around 3 to 4k) to prevent the bogie from diving away from you and getting out of gun range before the reversal.  

This tactic will even work when fighting the same type aircraft.  You just have to make sure they have more alt and are closing fast on you so that you can out turn them.

Hope this helps!

TShark
"If you are alone and meet a lone Zero, run like hell...You're outnumbered" - Joe Foss USMC 26 kills

Offline Soda

• Silver Member
      • http://members.shaw.ca/soda_p/models.htm
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2003, 05:33:15 PM »
I've seen some guys pulling horrible intentional stalls lately in defense.  Anything with a really harsh stall (F4U, La5/7) seems to be prime.  They wait till you come up on them then intentionally yank the stick into a warping snap stall.. then try to recover after you overshoot them.  Only seen about 50% of them recover from that move though at low altitudes... so I guess it does carry some significant risk :)  It's not on my list of favored defensive maneuvers.

-Soda

Offline acetnt

• Zinc Member
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2003, 09:38:36 AM »
Originally posted by Soda
I've seen some guys pulling horrible intentional stalls lately in defense.  Anything with a really harsh stall (F4U, La5/7) seems to be prime.  They wait till you come up on them then intentionally yank the stick into a warping snap stall.. then try to recover after you overshoot them.  Only seen about 50% of them recover from that move though at low altitudes... so I guess it does carry some significant risk :)  It's not on my list of favored defensive maneuvers.

-Soda

You're right. It is difficult to use at low alt. I only do this when I am out of options. It works quite well if you have alt and the guy on your six is too aggressive. At low alt I've hit the ground a few times so yup it is risky :-)

But I prefer to use a lot of opposite rudder when doing this

Acetnt

Offline RightF00T

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2003, 01:41:00 PM »
Oedipus everyone knows that only works when they're vulching!;)