Author Topic: Where did you get your call sign?  (Read 14752 times)

Offline Gadfly

• Silver Member
Where did you get your call sign?
« Reply #105 on: July 20, 2000, 10:09:00 PM »
Walmart

skippy

« Reply #106 on: July 21, 2000, 01:17:00 AM »
Crash n burn date called me this when I made myself a PEANUT BUTTER sandwich for dessert instead of eating her 'Baked Alaska', after  a gourmet dinner she spent all day preparing and 2 hours cooking needless to say she never called me again , nor did I bother calling her since her 'Baked Alaska' was runny and yukky anyways.  

Offline av8or

• Copper Member
« Reply #107 on: July 21, 2000, 02:20:00 AM »
Well kinda unoriginal but i am a pilot by trade online and in real life so it was to be av8or. It would have been different if i had known we couldn't change it.Also i had to put something down as a callsign

Offline Missile

• Zinc Member
« Reply #108 on: July 21, 2000, 07:58:00 AM »
I came by mine honestly. I was on a Titan II missile crew for over 14 years. In fact, my biggest claim to fame is that I am 1/4 of the Best Missile Crew in the history of SAC.:cool My evil twin may show up as SNARK....another missile that was pretty much a failure.

Offline Downtown

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.tir.com/~lkbrown1
« Reply #109 on: July 21, 2000, 08:48:00 AM »
Well I had started online with the alias of "Bad Bad" from the Jim Croce song "Bad Bad Leroy Brown" but my first name isn't Leroy.  When I tried to log into WB as badbad it was already taken, so following the time honored tradition of taking one that others had called me tried dwntwn for "Downtown" which is commonly attached to people with the last name of Brown.  So here I am "Downtown" Lincoln Brown.

How I got my real first name is a much more interesting story.

------------------

"Downtown" Lincoln Brown.
    lkbrown1@tir.com    
 http://www.tir.com/~lkbrown1
Wrecking Crews "Drag and Die Guy"
Hals und beinbruch!

Offline Wilfrid

• Copper Member
      • http://www.crytek.de
« Reply #110 on: July 21, 2000, 10:13:00 AM »
I`m named after my long, stupid Dachshund. Real names Tony.

------------------
"Thats not fair - you can`t compare Macs with Etch-A-Sketch. People LIKE Etch-A-Sketch."

Offline Bluefish

• Copper Member
« Reply #111 on: July 21, 2000, 10:21:00 AM »
I grew up in New Jersey and surf-fished a lot for bluefish.  Noticed that when pursuing prey they were overly aggressive and not terribly bright (I've seen them run themselves onto the beach and not be able to get back into the water).  It seemed appropriate, somehow.

eskimo

« Reply #112 on: July 22, 2000, 01:31:00 PM »
I was born and raised in Alaska.  I have always been fascinated by the natives of Alaska, of which Eskimo's are the most well known.  In WB, callsigns were limited to 6 letters, eskimo had a neat ring, and is easy to remember.  
I also enjoy snacking on raw walrus.

eskimo

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #113 on: July 22, 2000, 02:09:00 PM »
It's short, easy to type, easy to remember and lends itself to a lot of interesting acronyms.

It's also how my machine guns sound...

tactactactactactactactactacta ctactac  

Offline Rickenbacker

• Zinc Member
« Reply #114 on: July 23, 2000, 12:39:00 PM »
When I first started frequenting various MUSHes (online roleplaying games, all text based) many years ago, I needed a name for my character. I'd just read Eddie Rickenbackers' book and really liked it, so I tried that, and it worked. It's stuck with me ever since, and I'm even thinking about adding it to my real name  .

Oh, and I recently heard from Ricks' grandson, and he said it's OK for me to use the name. No, really  .

Of course the handle is too long to fit in any sim, but I've been -ri-, rick, --ri-- and ricken in WB, and Ricken on AH.

Rickenbacker
Independent Swedish Airforce

Offline MrLars

• Silver Member
« Reply #115 on: July 24, 2000, 12:52:00 PM »
Back in the 60's I was known as O.D. That nickname stuck with me 'till I went to Nam. We had a real dick for a CO when I first got there and was ordered to tell others to call me something different since my nickname reminded him of all the problems there were with drugs. So I changed it to Lars since it kinda resembles my RL name of Larry. I've used it or a varriation of it <pong only allowed 3 letters> for the past 40 or so years.

MrLars....someone beat me to Lars in AH :-/

Skraut

« Reply #116 on: July 24, 2000, 07:10:00 PM »
Ok this is possibly the most painful nickname out there.

This goes all the way back to when Quake came out.  The first time I played, I was trying to come up with a good name.  Everyone else was MeGaKiLLa-DUdE or something else like that.  I was sitting there contemplating in front of my computer, nude (don't ask) eating a giant Bratwurst loaded with hot sauerkraut.  Took a bite, and a bunch of the sauerkraut fell out in my lap.  I ended up with minor burns, a LOT of pain, and a nickname.  Thought it sounded cool as Skraut, and that's what it has been since.

Offline flakbait

• Silver Member
      • http://www.worldaccessnet.com/~delta6
« Reply #117 on: July 25, 2000, 12:24:00 PM »
Got mine back in Wb 2.70 just after a friend introduced me to it. He had it set up for LAN play H2H so we went at it for an hour or so. He got bored and went online for a bit, and he let me fly. I decided to link up with a flight of B-17s on a bomb run. Not long after I found the bombers I found enemy planes. I dove right in on one, blasted him and pulled up. About that time I see in the radio buffer, and hear over my shoulder "Way to go Flakbait!"..I didn't get it.

About 5 minutes later I'm flying home on a near-empty tank. So I ask the BUFF driver what he meant. He says "When u went dwn after nme fitter ack was shootin. Almost hit you. Evry ack dwn there was firing at u. WTG Flakbait". Turns out my friend was thinking the same thing, so it stuck.

I go by Delta6 online due to the movie Full Metal Jacket. I was going along with a trucker and watching it in the sleeper. He hollers at me and asks if I want to play with his CB. I say sure. About that time you can barely make out "Delta6" in the movie just after the mortars blow as the tanks are advancing. So I get on the horn and say "Delta6 requesting radio check" I'll tell you, going on next to no sleep and loads of coffee sure plays tricks on your voice! I sounded a lot like Barry White. I kinda liked the name so I kept it.

Flakbait
online: Delta6; Homicidal Hummingbirds

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #118 on: March 22, 2002, 09:25:51 AM »
Punt!

Offline CyranoAH

• Gold Member
« Reply #119 on: March 22, 2002, 10:37:34 AM »
I can't believe I hadn't seen this one yet :)

Cyrano... well, I like the character from Edmond Rostand "Cyrano de Bergerac" (equally able with his sword and with his wits) and I do some fencing (sabre), so there you have it.

No relation whatsoever with nose size ;)

Daniel