Author Topic: WTH? My CD-R's got a mind of its own!  (Read 638 times)

Offline BenDover

• Platinum Member
WTH? My CD-R's got a mind of its own!
« on: July 10, 2003, 04:04:57 PM »
Lately my comp's been acting weird, namely the my cd-rom drive starts spinning up on its own, normally this wouldn't bother me that much, but its causing my computer freeze for several seconds, which mostly seems to happen when I'm diving to the deck :(

Btw, I'm running Xp-Pro

Offline TheCage

• Copper Member
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2003, 05:13:54 PM »
Does your CD-R able to do CD-RW?   If so the driver that the CD uses to write to the RW discs could be the problem.   I had the same problem with my system slowing down and that was where my problem was.   The driver seems to check whether or not the CD is re-writeable or not.    Also don't leave a disk in that drive, the driver will really go nuts if there is.   But if it is CD-RW, then disable the diver for it.   Hope this helps.

Offline Estes

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2003, 05:36:59 PM »
My CDRW is a Plextor of some kind, 24/20/32 whatever that means, and if I try and put a disc in there to just read it like a normal CD rom, it does that so maybe go with cage and make sure nothing is in there.

Offline BenDover

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2003, 07:30:01 PM »
It did it when a cd wasn't in the drive, its just spins up and doesn't respond for a upto few minutes.

But I'm sure a group of hackers are also trying to hack my system, if they managed to get through, would they be able to do anything like this?

Anyway, I'll try reinstalling the driver.

Offline Maniac

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2003, 06:50:51 AM »
You may have an trojan on your computer... If they are browsing your hardisks this may happen when they try to access your CD-R drive...

Regards.
Warbirds handle : nr-1 //// -nr-1- //// Maniac

Offline BenDover

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2003, 09:58:52 AM »
Does Nortan AV search for trojans?

If it does I either don't have a trojan or its one so new that my AV can't detect it yet.

Offline Maniac

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2003, 03:12:33 AM »
If it does I either don't have a trojan or its one so new that my AV can't detect it yet.

Yes all AV search for trojans. It could be an new trojan or an "altered" old one... You can hide allredy known trojans from AV with ease...

Theres programs that hunts trojans specifically, they use AV-signatures aswell as monitor open ports etc, even those are far from fool proof...

Check netstat when your computer acts crazy...
« Last Edit: July 15, 2003, 04:33:51 AM by Maniac »

Offline BenDover

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2003, 07:11:15 AM »
I think it might be a hardware issue, proburly a loose IDE cable.

Which reminds me....

Offline Nwbie

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2003, 11:21:28 AM »
I don't know what system you are running but I had a similar experience, I found that Findfast -MS Office program- was constantly reading my floppy and cd rom drive - it is a program that office uses to make finding files faster-- anyway make sure findfast and OSA are disabled - could be the culprit if you have those items running

NwBie
Skuzzy-- "Facts are slowly becoming irrelevant in favor of the nutjob."

Offline BenDover

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2003, 12:37:31 PM »
how would i go about doing that?

Offline Nwbie

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2003, 11:27:30 AM »
Originally posted by BenDover
how would i go about doing that?

If this was directed to my statement about findfast  - hit cntrl -alt-delete - to see list of programs running - if findfast - osa - are listed as running - end process

You will need to do this everytime you reboot your puter

NwBie
Skuzzy-- "Facts are slowly becoming irrelevant in favor of the nutjob."

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2003, 03:17:56 PM »
Originally posted by Nwbie
If this was directed to my statement about findfast  - hit cntrl -alt-delete - to see list of programs running - if findfast - osa - are listed as running - end process

You will need to do this everytime you reboot your puter

NwBie

Unless you go to start/run and type "msconfig". Under the startup programs tab look for findfast, OSA and any other proggies that you might not want running constantly in the background choking your resources and uncheck their boxes. Once that's done those proggies won't load at startup. Reboot. Might want to check out your system resources before and after doing this just to see what you've gained. Might be a lot.

I only ever have Explorer, systray and my sound proggie running at startup.

I'm watching this convo as I too have had a CD-RW drive go haywire on me doing much the same crap. Mine was not only spinning up--the door was opening and closing on its own. All with no disc in it. On some bootups the drive wouldn't be recognized. When it was it did all sorts of wierdness so I was thinking it was about to fry and take some other components with it so I unplugged it. Bastid always froze up before I could get to it in the device manager too.

Drano
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Maniac

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2003, 05:19:07 AM »
Mine was not only spinning up--the door was opening and closing on its own. All with no disc in it.

Really does sound likes someone is having fun with you :) , but im sure it could be hardware related too...

Offline Dingbat

• Silver Member
      • http://mysite.verizon.net/res0v1l1
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2003, 10:57:00 AM »
Sounds like a trojan to me, When was the last time you actually updated the virus patterns  (if you use norton, it's called liveupdate)

Offline BenDover

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2003, 12:06:36 PM »
Thursday.

But i think it's stopped now...