Author Topic: Quick Kills?  (Read 1008 times)

Offline acepilot2

• Silver Member
Quick Kills?
« on: July 12, 2003, 04:52:07 PM »
I have been playing Aces High for about a year now.  I fly the p38 and (not to brag or anything) have developed some good dogfighting skills.  However recently I noticed "quick kills."  Usually when shooting down a plane,  for me it takes about 15-30 mg shots and 10-20 cannon shots directly on the plane. If I fire both of them at the same time, I can bring down a plane with about 5 seconds of DIRECT hits.  However, today I watched as another p38 dive down on a spit, fire shots for like 1 second, and blow up the 109.  I wondered to myself: how did he bring down the plane so quickly?  I have seen many other planes do the same thing, and not just when diving down, in normal dogfights too.  Whenever I get shot down I have noticed it is also just  a quick burst of rounds as opposed to many which it usually takes me to bring down a plane.  How do I bring down a plane quickly like that?  My best guess is to reset the convergence, but if that is the problem, what should I set it to on a p38?  I should be getting a lot more kills than I have now, but it takes so much ammo to kill a plane...how do I do it quickly like I have seen?

Offline Estes

• Gold Member
Quick Kills?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2003, 05:25:00 PM »
It only takes 2-3 well placed 20mm shots to down a plane.  If you are firing for 5 seconds and you are lighting up that plane, and you are in a 38 then I think you have a bad connection or something.

Offline MaddogJoe

• Nickel Member
Quick Kills?
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2003, 05:45:21 PM »
my guess is you aim is off. I looked at your score and your hit percentage is 2.25 in a fighter. Thats not real good, nor is mine much better  :) If you see someone get some of those "quick kills" write his name out and check out his score. In the top 10 in rankings right now only one guy has a percentage under 10%, and one is at 25%. Now these numbers are NOT the be all, end all answer. They have other factors too, but from those comparisins is where I'm making my guess.

now for the tips... first shut off your tracers !!! I know it sounds stupid, but it helps. You will concitrate on hits and pulling the right lead more, instead of watching the "pretty light show" of tracers. Try it for a few weeks, and watch your pertentage rise.

next, don't shoot till you see the whites of there eyes!!! well ok maybe not THAT close, but do get close !! You can hit a plane from a 38 at 600 out, and score hits, but your not doing much damage. By the time your slug cover that 600 plus the speed differential ( both planes are moveing) they lose alot of "punch". If you fire at 200, you going to find that 1 or 2 bursts is about all your going to need in that P38  :)

Hope this helps, check out more tips on the Mafia web site under the Aces High help section! Good Luck !

Offline Estes

• Gold Member
Re: Quick Kills?
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2003, 05:50:46 PM »
10-20 cannon shots directly on the plane

Oh, I didn't check his stats from that I figured he was hitting the plane.

Offline acepilot2

• Silver Member
Quick Kills?
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2003, 06:17:52 PM »
Thank you for all the tips, but would reseting the convergence do anything to inflict more damage?

Offline Estes

• Gold Member
Quick Kills?
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2003, 06:28:33 PM »
No, on the p-38 all the guns are in the nose so convergance really doesn't have an effect.

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Quick Kills?
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2003, 06:44:23 PM »
Think cockpit hits.

Killing the pilot = instant explosion, only takes a single 20mm or a few mg rounds to do it.

Obviously its not going to happen every time, but you can work on it.

Deflection shots where you are above him are a good example. Stitch a pattern right down the center and watch things happen.  :)

Offline Innominate

• Gold Member
Quick Kills?
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2003, 11:12:14 PM »
Shooting at and hitting are very different.

5-6 MG shots hitting any one point on a plane will send it down to the ground.  The trick to 'quick kills' is to get a solid burst to hit one location on the targets plane.  

Even if you get a lot of hits, but spread out across the target, it's possible to do absolutly no damage.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Quick Kills?
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2003, 01:52:38 AM »
To make sure that you're not suffering from the dreaded 'rubber bullet syndrome', make sure that you have VSYNC enabled and Anti-Aliasing disabled.  Those are two of the most supposed reasons for the rubber-bullet syndrome.

Next tip would be to turn off your tracers.  This will force you to learn how to properly lead and aim at your target.  After you get used to flying without tracers and you've learned how to lead and aim, you'll find that your rounds will land where you want them to and you'll score more hits on critical areas.  Also, firing at close range will also help increase the damage inflicted on your target.  When I fire at a target, depending on the angle given to me, I try and aim for the nose area, canopy/wing root section and the wingtips and tail section.  The majority of the time, a single burst in this areas will either score an immediate kill or damage a critical component.  Another thing that I do when firing is that I don't use my 20mm cannon on targets further than 400 yards away, instead I rely on the four .50 cal machine guns for long shots.  At targets closer than 400 yards, I let them have the full fury of my four .50s and 20mm Hispano.

And as someone mentioned in an above post, there is no need to adjust the convergence of the guns on a P-38 since they are nose mounted, center-line firing guns.

Ack-Ack
« Last Edit: July 13, 2003, 01:55:39 AM by Ack-Ack »
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline jpv4077

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.geocities.com/jpv4077/
Quick Kills?
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2003, 07:32:41 AM »
How do you enable VSYNC & disable Anti-Aliasing?

Offline Estes

• Gold Member
Quick Kills?
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2003, 07:57:31 AM »
Most of the time, right click on desktop, properties settings advanced, somewhere in your video properties.

Offline Sikboy

• Platinum Member
Quick Kills?
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2003, 11:49:43 AM »
I could be wrong. I don't usually dwell on these things but:

doesn't range effect the force of rounds? The farther out they are, the slower they are going, and the less ballistic force they have? Is this accurate at all?

Range is the key for me getting "quick kills" Mostly because I fly the Yak, and can't hit anything outside of D200. But the 20mm and 2x 12.7s is devastating at D95 lol. So, more rounds on target, and higher velocity (could be wrong)=quick death for those who dare oppose me (before I run away on the deck, laughing like a schoolgirl)

-Sik
You: Blah Blah Blah
Me: Meh, whatever.

Offline bfreek

• Copper Member
Quick Kills?
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2003, 09:01:15 PM »
5 seconds? just hit the wings forget the tail, takes like 2 seconds.

Offline Nwbie

• Gold Member
Quick Kills?
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2003, 10:44:12 AM »
For me, my hit percentage has increased because I now try to take off the wing tips, I think my aim has gotten better because I concentrate more on 1 part of the plane instead of just spraying and praying, I certainly am no ace, but it is a little more fun at least :) This works especially good on b-17's and lancs, seems I have a better chance of surviving those laser guns shooting me from 2.5k away lol

NwBie
Skuzzy-- "Facts are slowly becoming irrelevant in favor of the nutjob."

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
Quick Kills?
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2003, 12:21:53 PM »
Get in as close as you can.  Then get even closer than that, and open fire.  I guarantee you he's going down in a couple of seconds.  Plus at that range, there's none of this "aiming for the wingtips" nonsense.  Your bullets are going to hit critical spots no matter where they go at close range.

-- Todd/Leviathn