Author Topic: Harley question  (Read 431 times)

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
Harley question
« on: July 23, 2003, 04:33:00 PM »
My bud here at work is looking to buy either a Road King or an ElectraGlide Standard.

These 2 bikes look pretty identicle, but the EG is over $2k cheaper. What gives?

Offline DrDea

• Gold Member
Harley question
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2003, 04:37:02 PM »
Tell him to run away.Ive got a 1999 1100 Shadow Ace Tourer and I'll tell ya what.You couldnt treat a hog the way I treat that bike.Its never seen a cover,( a hog would die after being exposed to rain 4 times)  I ride it all yrear round and its NEVER given me a problem.(A hog would get you a X-mas card from your local mechanic because you and the other Harley owners repairs paid for his new Goldwing )  Beautyfull bikes,but Im not gonna pay 15 grand for a bike I gotta baby.
The Flying Circus.Were just like you.Only prettier.

FSO 334 Flying Eagles. Fencers Heros.

Offline Pfunk

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Harley question
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2003, 04:39:13 PM »
Originally posted by DrDea
Tell him to run away.Ive got a 1999 1100 Shadow Ace Tourer and I'll tell ya what.You couldnt treat a hog the way I treat that bike.Its never seen a cover,( a hog would die after being exposed to rain 4 times)  I ride it all yrear round and its NEVER given me a problem.(A hog would get you a X-mas card from your local mechanic because you and the other Harley owners repairs paid for his new Goldwing )  Beautyfull bikes,but Im not gonna pay 15 grand for a bike I gotta baby.

You didnt even remotely answer his question.  Just banged on Harleys  :rolleyes: :rolleyes:  If I recall correctly their is no differences other than superficial things, There stats are identical
« Last Edit: July 23, 2003, 04:43:08 PM by Pfunk »

Offline DrDea

• Gold Member
Harley question
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2003, 04:45:46 PM »
Your right.I really dont know what the diff is.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Offline icemaw

• Gold Member
Harley question
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2003, 06:10:43 PM »
Originally posted by DrDea

You must not have ever owned a late model harley. While this may have been true for an amf harley. It is no where near even close to accurate for a late model harley. They are pretty much bullet proof as long as you keep oil in it you will not have a problem.

Try this link for harley MT lots of info
http://www.harley-davidson.com/en/home.asp?bmLocale=en_US
Army of Das Muppets     
Member DFC Furballers INC. If you cant piss with big dogs go run with the pack

Offline DrDea

• Gold Member
Harley question
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2003, 06:32:26 PM »
Ive been around Hogs for a long time.Ive seen some amazing things happen to those bikes.Broken cranks,ordinary almost schedualable breakdowns.Hell I used to ride with a bunch of those guys and gals,but the plans more often than not would invariably fall through when someones bike was in the shop for a preventive maintinence visit.Ive done the March of dimes ride in Glen Burnie Md for the past 5 years and theres always 6 or 7 Hogs that never make it.Not to mention the ones that never even get started when they get them off the trailer they hauled em on.Sorry man.I'll take reliability.Hogs havnt impressed me much more than looks for ages.

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
Harley question
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2003, 08:58:25 PM »
people that want to ride , ride hondas, yamahas, susukis.

people that want to brag about what they ride , ride hogs

get a rice burner, twice the bike at half the price.

PS. hondas are built in Ohio, a fine american bike.

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
Harley question
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2003, 01:05:21 AM »
Yet again some narrowminded clueless drones hijack a legit Harley thread. If own a Harley, then feel free to bad mouth it. If you don't own one STFU. If Harley - Davidson is such a lousy bike, why does every ricegrinder manufacturer try so hard to copy one?
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline icemaw

• Gold Member
Harley question
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2003, 01:30:14 AM »
Well said rpm
Army of Das Muppets     
Member DFC Furballers INC. If you cant piss with big dogs go run with the pack

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Harley question
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2003, 08:41:21 AM »
yeah much better to get a bike that looks as close to a Harley as possible and hope that people think it is a Harley.  You can even get the "hodadavidson" wings on the tank or maybe the "yamaha" tatoo.
lazs

Offline krazyhorse

• Nickel Member
Harley question
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2003, 09:08:27 AM »
i got to admit i asked the same thing when shopping for an electr glide  i was suprised at the 18500  get it out of  here price, fact is though electraglides take up more florr space and take longer to sell, therefore they are in essence a waste of valuable floor space for the faster moving bike ie. heritage st, fatboys, of course the sporty, dyna's and the almighty road king which is a top selling harley, now me personally ride a honda and instead of the glide will be getting a gold wing for my next bike,yes i have had a harley before a 97 dyna i had to sell to make ends meet. btw i dont trailer my bike anywhere the fun part of the bike trip is the ride to the destination, yes rain sucks  ,but its a neat thing when your under the gas station canopy , then another biker pulls in to clear hhis goggles as well  then ya start bull****ting  for awhile , hey  wow nomore rain, gtime to head on again,btw my wife and i finally road the blueridge parkway skyline drive route this summer,started in cherokee nc anded in front royal va. hell of a ride , got burnt by the wind and sun, froze in the rain at 6500ft, met some damn fine bikers on the road doing the same trip, some from s to n, and vice versa. squeak is that damn 35 mph law on skyline drive though, longest 110 miles ive ever road ta all you bikers  out there.

Offline DrDea

• Gold Member
Harley question
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2003, 09:29:52 PM »
Great :)  Ive done Skyline Drive the past 2 years.Me and a friend load the bikes up and camp halfway.Takes about 2  to 3 hours to get there from Md so about halfway through the ride we camp.Great ride tho.Mid week is free and clear of most traffic so its much better a ride.Gotta plan a trip there this summer sometime soon

Offline -Concho-

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
Harley question
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2003, 10:07:26 PM »
I belive the roadking has more bells and whistles.  at this site you can do a side by side comp.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/PR/MOT/2003/03_model_styling.asp?bmLocale=en_US&market=US&family=Touring&model=FLHR&modelSection=styling

pick the compare bike link.

there are two kinds of people that ride.  those of us that have hogs and those that try to kick us in the nuts because they don't have one.

edit:  after looking, from the triple tree back the are practically the same bike.  guess that 2k is in the front end... dunno
« Last Edit: July 24, 2003, 10:15:38 PM by -Concho- »

Offline Bonden

• Nickel Member
Harley question
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2003, 06:10:28 AM »
I can't tell the difference except the Glide has that "batwing" fairing. Maybe the engine is the aluminum finish rather than black with polished cooling fins? Supply and demand I guess.

A friend of mine recently got rid of his softail custom that was pretty well tricked out and bought a Road King - for trips. He also bought a new Slammer from American Iron Horse for bar hoppin.

Yeah, you look at some of these Hondas and whatevers these days and ya really gotta look close, they resemble Harleys so very much but, they just don't sound right :)

Offline krazyhorse

• Nickel Member
Harley question
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2003, 06:30:32 AM »
actually in the old days  the  now road king was considered the electa glide standard, no fairing sheild only simply backrest and hard packs on the side, as far as electraglide goes  well  why the *uck get one  unless you get a dresser hey, the my opinion and im a sticking to it.