Author Topic: A few thoughts on tracers  (Read 1193 times)

Offline hogenbor

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.lookupinwonder.nl
A few thoughts on tracers
« on: July 28, 2003, 03:54:58 AM »
After reading some write-ups on the subject I tried to fly with tracers turned off.

I have about 10 months of experience in AH now but I think a lot of people I see on-line fly more in a month than I do in a year… Nevertheless I'm not a newbie anymore and am still getting better. I also seek ways of improving myself, like flying fighters I can't really seem to get to grips with and of course switching off tracers.

After a weekend without tracers I don't really see any difference in succes rate yet. What I noticed though that although I tend to 'miss' the visual help tracers provide, I compensate by getting a bit closer and aim better. What's the most surprising thing to me is that I simply do not use the gunsight. A potential target is always maneuvering and so is your own aircraft. There seems to be some internal algorithm at work that tries to compensate and compute lead. Therefore looking at the target instead of the gunsight seems to work better for me.

Still, when spraying a bit during high deflection shots I still miss tracers (and that P-38 I only got smoking yesterday and killed me instead ). I know that in real life tracers have different ballistics than ordinary rounds. Is this modelled in Aces High?

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2003, 06:05:44 AM »
Fly with tracers off for about a week and you should get used to it.

One of the main problems with having tracers on is that one might become dependent on using the tracers to correct your lead.  So in essence you start to lead with your tracers instead of your gun sight.  From your post, that sounds like what's been happening to you already with tracers on.

At least for me and a few others, flying with tracers off really has helped improve the gunnery skills.  But as with everything YMMV.

ack-ack
« Last Edit: July 28, 2003, 05:58:09 PM by Ack-Ack »
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2003, 09:29:08 AM »
I find tracers distracting, particularly during nightfighting.  The only time I see a benefit to tracers is when shooting the Osti and field guns because of their ballistics and slow ROF.

Offline sonofagun

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2003, 10:08:25 AM »
All of the above plus...enemy breaks as soon as he sees tracers fly by...if tracers are off...enemy breaks when he starts hearing hits.

OTH...if want to force a break to clear someone's tail, for instance, tracers are good for that.  At least they force me to break...:cool:

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2003, 04:23:38 PM »
Darn tracers always get in my way  and  makes it harder to see pings .Leave them off your hit % should improve.
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Re: A few thoughts on tracers
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2003, 08:46:12 PM »
Originally posted by hogenbor
What I noticed though that although I tend to 'miss' the visual help tracers provide, I compensate by getting a bit closer and aim better.  

Yup.  And you also won't give yourself away as much.  Can't tell you how many times I've been (temporarily) saved because I saw the tracers go by and broke before they were on me.

- oldman

Offline Soda

• Silver Member
      • http://members.shaw.ca/soda_p/models.htm
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2003, 08:55:50 PM »
I still use tracers, just as an alternative arguement.  I think it's a personal thing.  I tend to hold fire though to the point where tracers make no difference since I'm landing hits from basically my first round.  I think for average guys who are firing at D400+ there can be issues related to spooking the enemy but for me that is an advantage.  Quite often I'll shoot short bursts to spook people into turning and tracers can help with that for me.

It's a personal thing though, like convergence settings, and I bet there are advantages to having them on and off but it's deciding which works best for you.

-Soda
Aces High Trainer Corps
The Assassins.

Offline genputty

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.chawks.com
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2003, 10:30:35 AM »
so what you are saying is, If I turn off my tracers and the enamy has his on he can not see mine ???

Offline icemaw

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2003, 11:20:32 AM »
Thats right GP if you turn your tracers off enemy will not see them nor will you. However your country men still will so they can tell when your shooting and not fly thru your bullet stream. Well the will still fly thru your bullet stream but at least they cant say they didnt see it.
Army of Das Muppets     
Member DFC Furballers INC. If you cant piss with big dogs go run with the pack

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2003, 12:30:12 PM »
Originally posted by icemaw
Thats right GP if you turn your tracers off enemy will not see them nor will you. However your country men still will  

are you sure about that?  I thought even countrymen couldn't see the tracers (from aircraft).

- oldman

Offline genputty

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.chawks.com
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2003, 12:58:25 PM »
i forgot in this game you can hurt yourself if you shoot your own country, right ?

Offline icemaw

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2003, 01:44:29 PM »
Originally posted by Oldman731
are you sure about that?  I thought even countrymen couldn't see the tracers (from aircraft).

- oldman

Positive countrymen can see your tracers whether they are on or off. Unless your in the DA or TA or maybe SEA not sure about that one.
Army of Das Muppets     

Offline icemaw

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2003, 01:46:36 PM »
Originally posted by genputty
i forgot in this game you can hurt yourself if you shoot your own country, right ?

Thats correct shooting friendlys tranfers damage to you. Even a couple hits of 303 cal will take your tail clean off.
Army of Das Muppets     

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2003, 02:06:52 PM »
Positive countrymen can see your tracers whether they are on or off. Unless your in the DA or TA or maybe SEA not sure about that one.

I would dispute this, if I really cared about it.  Whether my country men see my tracers or not really doesn't affect my attack style all that much.

Offline ACE_KID

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.geocities.com/strine77/welcome
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2003, 09:08:40 AM »
Thats correct shooting friendlys tranfers damage to you. Even a couple hits of 303 cal will take your tail clean off.
in the older version it wouldnt...