Author Topic: For those that might be interested in strategic bombing...  (Read 1494 times)

Offline AKS\/\/ulfe

• Platinum Member
For those that might be interested in strategic bombing...
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2003, 10:35:05 PM »
Originally posted by Gadfly
BTW did you hear that HL is shutting down on 4 August?

Thats BS, much like how WW2Ol is.
-SW

Offline Lance

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2003, 10:44:41 PM »
ZeroAce, you didn't answer my questions.  Do you have an Aces High account?  Have you ever paid HTC for their product?

Offline Octavius

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2003, 10:58:06 PM »
Originally posted by ZeroAce
-What do you mean they "only" implemented drag for canopies, control surfaces, and gear? They already had drag done for everything else!  

-Framerates have LITERALLY doubled for most players thanks to the OpenGL implimentation.
I have an AMD 1900+, 512 RAM,  Geforce 3 ti500 and I can now run the game at 40FPS with full graphics enabled in 1600x1200 resolution, even during flight.
Before 19, I would be getting 5-10FPS doing that.

-Half the playerbase is not threatening to leave the game. It's just the usual whines that come with every change to the game.
95% of the playerbase is having too much fun with 1.9 to even go to the message boards.

-The crash issues were fixed the day after the patch came out in version 1.92

-The 109 "yaw bug" was fixed a day after the patch in version 1.91.

-There is no issue with the Ju bombs. There was a concussion error for vehicles that was fixed a day after the 1.9 patch in version 1.91.

-The 64 limit has nothing to do with netcode, it's an hardware issue that every game has.  

-The 64 limit now has a biasing so that planes will see planes first, and ground will see ground.
This has solved any flight problems most people had. The 64 limit doesn't even pose a problem in the largest of bomber formations.

Wow!  He sounds like a cross between Baghdad Bob and a used car salesman! :D
octavius
Fat Drunk BasTards (forum)

"bastard coated bastards with bastard filling?  delicious!"
Guest of the ++Blue Knights++[/size]

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2003, 11:02:57 PM »
They incorperated biasing with 1.9 patch. Planes will see planes now before the ground units are rendered... And vise versa.

Have a nice day.

So tell me Zeroace, when an Opel loaded with infantry drives towards a town will the "disappearing opel dropping infantry due to no netcode biasing" not happen?

If I log on tonight and see an Opel drop infantry will you admit you are uninformed and Aces High has better netcode?

And when was the last time you paid for and played Aces High?

Offline Octavius

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2003, 11:05:22 PM »
I'll be the third to ask that so he can't avoid it...

Have you paid for an Aces High subscription, ZeroAce?
octavius
Fat Drunk BasTards (forum)

"bastard coated bastards with bastard filling?  delicious!"
Guest of the ++Blue Knights++[/size]

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2003, 11:15:53 PM »
Framerates have LITERALLY doubled for most players thanks to the OpenGL implimentation.
I have an AMD 1900+, 512 RAM,  Geforce 3 ti500 and I can now run the game at 40FPS with full graphics enabled in 1600x1200 resolution, even during flight.
Before 19, I would be getting 5-10FPS doing that.
YIKES is all i need t say i think....

<-- gettin over 80 FPS lvl flight with a grforce MX 440/AMD XP1900 768md DDRRam in AH (i know chitty vid card... but look @ the difference LOL)

dont think i'll be "trying" WWIIol :D

BTW "OpneGL" .. come ooooon ... WTF uses that anymore except MS screen savers? ;)
I don't know what to put here yet.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2003, 11:36:15 PM »
Zeroace is probably one of the 'few' where OpenGL has improved things. For most I know (and if you read the forums) its dropped framerates or caused rendering issues. They probably moved to OpenGL as its easy to port between the Mac version and PC version that way.

Offline ZeroAce

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2003, 11:53:42 PM »
Originally posted by Vulcan
So tell me Zeroace, when an Opel loaded with infantry drives towards a town will the "disappearing opel dropping infantry due to no netcode biasing" not happen?

Instances of such have been reduced about 95% in my experience.
Although, the 1.9 patch has had so many players online lately that during those mega attacks it can still happen.

or most I know (and if you read the forums) its dropped framerates or caused rendering issues.

The forums, by nature, are are where people go to complain. 97% of the silent majority is not going to post on the forums and proclaim that the patch is working just fine for them.

People who don't have a problem with the patch rarely go out of their way to say so, they are too busy playing.

<-- gettin over 80 FPS lvl flight with a grforce MX 440/AMD XP1900 768md DDRRam in AH (i know chitty vid card... but look @ the difference LOL)

dont think i'll be "trying" WWIIol  

WW2OL will run for you easily, you might want a new video card but you would still be good.

There are people playing WW2OL pretty well on 500mhz machines.

Offline SunKing

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2003, 12:07:38 AM »
No one cares Zero. We are happy with Aces High, we support HTC because we love thier product. Anyone of us that wanted to try WWIIO already have. Your peeing in the wind.  

We all see through your solicting. And you know we are going to listen to Vulcans reviews before any of your "experiences".

I mean come on you're soo one sided. You cant/wont even answer a simple question.

Offline ZeroAce

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2003, 12:12:25 AM »
Why are you convinced that you have to leave Ace's High and renounce your support for HTC in order to try WW2OL?

Both games offer different things. It's the same reason you can enjoy playing FS2004 or IL-2 without being pulled away from Ace's High.

Liking WW2OL does not equal hating Ace's High, or vise versa.

Cut this sim wars crap... We can all like different simulations for various reasons.

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2003, 12:25:47 AM »
Why are you convinced that you have to leave Ace's High and renounce your support for HTC in order to try WW2OL?

Both games offer different things. It's the same reason you can enjoy playing FS2004 or IL-2 without being pulled away from Ace's High.

Liking WW2OL does not equal hating Ace's High, or vise versa.

Cut this sim wars crap... We can all like different simulations for various reasons.

And still no answer...:rolleyes:
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2003, 01:01:17 AM »
Zeroace, I was listening to my squad on Teamspeak last night. LOTS are having issues with OpenGL and framerate hits.

Face it, the WW2OL FM is CRAP. COMPLETE AND UTTER CRAP. Everytime an update is released you find how much of it was missing or porked. For example, it is ridiculous for an FM not to model drag on flaps, gear, control surfaces etc. CRS have finally admitted their FM figures are out (hence the massive audits), they've finally admitted the damage model on aircraft has been porked for ages. But you've been in here telling us in the past how great the FM and DM is, and how much more accurate it is than AH.

The air element alone is better modeled than AH (AH may have numerical more planes, but WW2online has a higher fidelity flight and damage model which makes it better in the long run

Physics based flight models bring behavior closer to real life than a table based flight model.

FYI: CRS builds their planes in a psyhical world, then they use that table data to test and verify that their plane was built correctly.

Lots of Errors corrected to the high fidelity model

I could quote you more, but its just to funny...

And now... NOW... CRS have made a liar of you!

If you had an ounce of nouse you'd realise the only way to sell WW2OL here is by selling the infantry/tank game.

No AH player in their right mind would go to WW2OL for the flying game. You haven't bothered to talk about the actual NEW features that make 1.9 attractive to AH players, such as the new shell sounds, depot spawning etc, ie the ground game.

You are doing WW2OL a massive disservice, and I doubt any AH player would subscribe based on your sales pitch. Take it to some Counterstrike forum where they might believe you.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2003, 01:12:12 AM by Vulcan »

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2003, 01:16:17 AM »
Thanks for the review Vulcan. Much appreciated. :)
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline ZeroAce

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2003, 01:35:02 AM »
Vulcan, fundamentally there was nothing wrong with WW2OL's high fidelity FM.

It's a good pyshics based FM, always has been, the problem were slight errors in the modeling of the planes. Because unlike some flight sims, they have a totally phsyics based model where they simply build the plane, plop it into their virtual world, and then let the game calculate how it should fly.

They only use real world data to verify that their model is performing right. If it's not, they go back and look for areas of the model that may not have been done right.

They simply got a new tool that allowed them to better find and squash inconsistancies.

No flight sim game is ever perfect - because they are just that, games. AH isn't perfect or complete as a flight model, neither is the famed IL-2.

Agencies and governments spend millions of dollars developing flight simulation software that still can't totally replicate real life.

What we get for the cost of a game is pretty damn good.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2003, 01:38:28 AM by ZeroAce »

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2003, 02:08:52 AM »
Someone get Zeroace a ladder, coz hes a long wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy yyyyyyyyys down dat hole :D