Author Topic: Time To Do Away With AWACS Datalink?  (Read 2387 times)

Offline dtango

• Silver Member
Time To Do Away With AWACS Datalink?
« Reply #135 on: December 03, 2001, 10:19:00 PM »
HB  :)

Wow, that's a little harsh- "...no idea what they are talking about...etc. etc.".

Don't assume that a low number of "attack" and "bomber" sorties as never being on the attack.

I typically fly the P-51 and usually fighter sweeps into enemy territory or field supression.  It's great fun for me for the limited time that I'm on (if you're checking stats go look at the hours i've typically flown per month - under tango, or dtango before handle was changed) to work with a 412th teammate conducting fighter sweeps as we work together as a section or flight to swat enemy airplanes out of the sky in their own territory.

Furthermore, during organized squad nights the 412th usually has missions planned for field captures or deep bombing raids.  Keep in  mind that the 412th is also a P-51 squad which means we're usually in the fighters on these missions for a variety of purposes.  And that's part of the fun for me is that trying to support field captures and conducting deep strike raids requires a goodly amount of coordination.  I think the dot dar to the defender makes the strat element fun because it's forces you to be more coordinated.

Peace  :)

Tango, 1st Lt
412th FS Braunco Mustangs
Tango / Tango412 412th FS Braunco Mustangs
"At times it seems like people think they can chuck bunch of anecdotes into some converter which comes up with the flight model." (Wmaker)

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #136 on: December 04, 2001, 12:14:00 AM »
Tonight I went to visit the CT. I saw that is already has diminished dar and reduced icon ranges.

With all the posts here asking for the same thing I just don't understand why it's empty almost all the time. I suppose the limited plane set is the culpret. After all these requested features are already in one arena there should be many players there all the time. I don't understand why I don't see it being used. What is it that requires both arena's have this? If the CT is already set with no dot dar and reduced icons, play there and you can forget about the MA. All you have to do is ask for increased implementation of strat and capture, if it already isn't there now.

DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline pbirmingham

• Copper Member
      • http://bigscary.com
« Reply #137 on: December 04, 2001, 12:38:00 AM »
Originally posted by hblair:

Why don't you guys just post something like:

"I have no idea what it's like to try to take a field, but I really dig radar. We need it!"

Nothing personal tango, its just that almost everybody who loves the radar has no idea what we're talking about here because they never walk in the other (strat guys) fellas shoes.

HB, how long did the Baltic map last?  Three days?  Four, maybe?  And you still say base capture is too hard?

I've taken part in successful, organized missions on Mindanao, fercryinoutloud, that ended in a base capture.

Offline lazs1

• Silver Member
« Reply #138 on: December 04, 2001, 08:23:00 AM »
hblair... flying LW planes is starting to affect yu.. your getting kinda pissy and a tad er "disingenuous"...  LW traits.

I see resets all the time.  If they were any easier it would be nothing but one big gangbang at the next field.   It's bad enough now.  

Organized?  Organized really means gangbang when field capture is involved.   It allso means exclussion.   You want gangbanging and exclussion of players who just want to have a fight.   dot dar is helpful to them and doesn't hinder capture the flag near enough as it is.  

Sure, I would like a dozen wussy "organized" players to have less effect on the other 300 but it's not toooo bad right now.  I sure as hell don't want the LW and fluffers designing gameplay ..  No one want's that!

But... I agree with funked... Do it in the CT and special events.   You can't make them any worse and who cares about them anyhow?  Just leave the MA alone or make the dar have more info like.... GV or ac.
lazs

[ 12-04-2001: Message edited by: lazs1 ]

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
« Reply #139 on: December 04, 2001, 10:08:00 AM »
There's a difference between executing an organized field capture mission and half the country over-running a field and someone eventually running a goon in there. I'm not saying mission planner captures are impossible, just much less frequently successful. I'm not making this up guys, we as a squad average about thirty per tour (thats not an attempt at a boast, just letting you know Ive done a few). I've used the mission planner many many times. You have to plan the missions now oftentimes so the planes come in from different sectors to hide yourself on the bar dar. Is that something we want?

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
« Reply #140 on: December 04, 2001, 10:17:00 AM »
lazs, you can't push my buttons, so don't even bother trying  :).

The reason I don't take you seriously is you can't see the big picture. There's more to the main arena than just furballing. If there wasn't there wouldn't be a mission planner would there? All you know is furballing. One dimensional.

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
« Reply #141 on: December 04, 2001, 10:21:00 AM »
Originally posted by Maverick:
Tonight I went to visit the CT. I saw that is already has diminished dar and reduced icon ranges.

With all the posts here asking for the same thing I just don't understand why it's empty almost all the time. I suppose the limited plane set is the culpret. After all these requested features are already in one arena there should be many players there all the time. I don't understand why I don't see it being used. What is it that requires both arena's have this? If the CT is already set with no dot dar and reduced icons, play there and you can forget about the MA. All you have to do is ask for increased implementation of strat and capture, if it already isn't there now.

(Image removed from quote.)

The dueling arena is all setup and waiting for you furballers. No bombers ruining your fun. Yet it's empty, using your logic that means only one thing, NOBODY likes furballing, therefore you guys are all WRONG.

:D

Offline Sabre

• Gold Member
      • Rich Owen
« Reply #142 on: December 04, 2001, 10:53:00 AM »
Wow, Hblair...talk about a lazer-guided retort!
Sabre
"The urge to save humanity almost always masks a desire to rule it."

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #143 on: December 04, 2001, 11:03:00 AM »
Hblair,

Your "retort" is ased on an assumption. That is that I am against buffs and base capture. I am not.

The simple truth of the matter is you already have the very thing you are asking for. An arena with no dot dar. It seems that the player base doesn't care for it and your not using it makes it a failure. The only way you could make it work is to FORCE everyone to play the way you want them to. Until you can make the CT work with your dar restrictions you are only trying to impose your wishesd on others.

You have the very thing you have been asking for, use it. Promote it and get those with your same preferances in there to play. If you can't, then perhaps it isn't as popular as you think.

Rather than just jab at and talk down to the rest of the players who use the MA just use the CT and make it a viable option. Hell ask for the expansion of the plane set and captures in the CT and stop trying to impose your opinions on the MA.

DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #144 on: December 04, 2001, 11:12:00 AM »
I think Hblair has a definite point.

The DA, as is, is even less used than the CT is.

I think turning off KS would change that.

What do you think needs changing in the CT?

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
« Reply #145 on: December 04, 2001, 11:30:00 AM »
Mav, I'm going to type this real slow so you can understand better.

The CT is lacking:

1.FIELD CAPTURE

2.SCORING

3.A VIABLE TERRAIN

These things are the main reasons I do not fly there.

again...

The CT is lacking:

1.FIELD CAPTURE

2.SCORING

3.A VIABLE TERRAIN

and again (for the reading impaired)...

The CT is lacking:

1.FIELD CAPTURE

2.SCORING

3.A VIABLE TERRAIN

Do you understand now? Surely you read some of that.

And while we're talking about it, I never have been a big pusher of an HA, but if we cannot get the radar toned down in the main arena, and the Combat Theatre gets fixed, I'll likely migrate there. Notice I said "likely".

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
« Reply #146 on: December 04, 2001, 11:40:00 AM »
Originally posted by Maverick:
Hblair,

Rather than just jab at and talk down to the rest of the players who use the MA just use the CT and make it a viable option. Hell ask for the expansion of the plane set and captures in the CT and stop trying to impose your opinions on the MA.

I'll give my opinions on the MA as long as I want to, why shouldn't I? You really don't have to read them. I'm presenting my case on why I think the radar is too powerful now. I try to do it in a reasonable way.

If HTC decides to change the radar, and you post reasons why you don't think it's good for the game, will it be ok for us all to tell you to "go to the dueling arena"? You ignore the fact that the CT is missing a lot of stuff, yet you tell us to "go there". Guess we'll just ignore the fact that the dueling arena is missing field capture too, and just tell you to "go play there" and quit posting your thoughts.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #147 on: December 04, 2001, 02:23:00 PM »
hblair,

You also ignore the fact that I saw the strat etc wasn't enabled in the CT. You also conveniently ignore that I suggested you ask, or lobby HT to add them to it. I also suggested you get to swap scores there too with the MA. I am all for making the CT simliar to the MA in game objectives. Now where does that suggest I am not sympathetic to your requests??

I am just asking that you not require others to play by the restricted options you promote. Is that such a horrid thought? By having the CT as YOU like it, the MA is still available for those who like that arena as well.

You get what you want and the others, me included, get what we want. WTF is wrong with that?????

Finally why the hell are you making this so damn personal?

[ 12-04-2001: Message edited by: Maverick ]
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
Author Unknown

Offline YardBird

• Zinc Member
« Reply #148 on: December 04, 2001, 03:03:00 PM »
Originally posted by Citabria:
after all games arent about surprises or strategy, games are about shooting guns and killing stuff, as much stuff as you can as quickly as possible.

[ 12-02-2001: Message edited by: Citabria ]
I think Nintendo would be less expensive than paying $14.95/month. All the shoot-em-up games you can handle. You can learn where the bad guys are hiding after awhile, so no surprises. (Yawn)That's why you can rent the games - they get BORING.

Offline lazs1

• Silver Member
« Reply #149 on: December 04, 2001, 04:01:00 PM »
hblair... capture the flag is one dimensional and kinda dorky (I mean, try to explain the "strat" and it's elements to someone who doesn't know about the game but is a WWII fan).  

furballs are everchanging.  the further you stray from furballs in the game the further you stray from the games realistic elments.... realistic flight models, realistic gunnery and realistic damage modeles.  It's realy quite simple.  The icons are a substitute for the better visuals we would have in a real invoronment and the dar is a substitute for someone talking to you on the radio (a job no one wants and would be impossible i would think to do).   surprise is pathetic... I mean, i'll take the kill but it is no substitute for a real fight.
lazs