Author Topic: So how bout this for a way to make the maps fun for now...  (Read 2763 times)

Offline muckmaw

• Gold Member
So how bout this for a way to make the maps fun for now...
« Reply #90 on: August 08, 2003, 01:23:05 PM »
I've actually had people yell at me over country channel for bombing the last FH at a field that was capped with vulchers.

Whether or not they came off a cv, i can't tell you, but I do ask before bombing a target in many cases now. I'm tryin not to screw up their fun.

Point is, I can't name people, but capping a field and vulching it for score padding is a common occurance from what I've seen.

I guess it's the same as a GV spawn camper.

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #91 on: August 08, 2003, 01:47:46 PM »
Steve. You said
So you're basing your argument on ONE sortie? and even that was in a perk plane.
Well, that's no different from the logic in your argument, in which you assert that people do not vulch off the CV. An argument based on one person - you
Beet1e my friend, in my case this is dead wrong. I love defending bases, even if the "cv horde" has significantly larger numbers. How can I establish that this is true? Well, look at the plane I fly: mostly P51D. I also fly the spit V some. Obviously, I'm not a CV vulch dweeb.
I'm not going to name names - it would only inflame. But DrDea knows what I'm talking about - he was there. And there were about TEN guys circling the field, vying for cheap kills.

Yes, the ONE sortie I refer to (which was not the only one which I can support with film evidence) was flown in a perk plane. But it has to be said that most of the (unperked) planes I was up against (P51, LA7, Spit ix) have superior performance, and at no time did I go above about 3K. As previously stated, off the CV I choose the CHog often - for when those ju88s show up.

Offline Bubbaj6

• Zinc Member
« Reply #92 on: August 08, 2003, 03:00:05 PM »
THe thing being missed here is that losing the CV is only ONE way a furball ends.   The other is the resulting porkage/steamroller.

The longer a CV stays in close proximity to a base, the more "strat-weenies" will start to migrate to that CV to help "finish the capture".  Or the more people will come to vulch.  

Their perspective is that they are joining the effort to capture a base that is already under way.  I doubt most even think about the furball as distinct thing.  

So before too long the base is porked, there are a bunch of strat-weenies upping from the CV and the defending sides strat-weenies start to up to take out the CV.  Same end result as now.

In other words, while it might be true for conflict to go on longer (ie attacking strat-weenies don't have it together for a quick capture), eventually the result will be the same and it is reallly only the vulchers that derive the benefit.

Offline Bubbaj6

• Zinc Member
« Reply #93 on: August 08, 2003, 03:02:39 PM »
On another note that seems kind of hypictrical to me:

Ever notice how the furballers, who say score doesn't matter, ALWAYS eventually pull it up to point up how so-and-so doesn't know what they are talking about?

If they really don't matter, what is the point of referencing them?

Offline DrDea

• Gold Member
« Reply #94 on: August 08, 2003, 03:06:01 PM »
ver notice how the furballers, who say score doesn't matter, ALWAYS eventually pull it up to point up how so-and-so doesn't know what they are talking about?

Incredably insitefull observation.Not bad for little time in the game.;)
The Flying Circus.Were just like you.Only prettier.

FSO 334 Flying Eagles. Fencers Heros.

Offline Rude

• Platinum Member
« Reply #95 on: August 08, 2003, 03:18:59 PM »
Originally posted by Bubbaj6
On another note that seems kind of hypictrical to me:

Ever notice how the furballers, who say score doesn't matter, ALWAYS eventually pull it up to point up how so-and-so doesn't know what they are talking about?

If they really don't matter, what is the point of referencing them?

Irregardless of whether you look at scores or don't, they give a fair assessment of how a player fights.

Look up mine...tour 23 as an example versus today....big difference. I'm a much better fighter today than I was then. Look at the different aspects of the fighter stats and tell me what you see.

That's the point.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2003, 03:21:23 PM by Rude »

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #96 on: August 08, 2003, 03:27:18 PM »
sorry but... we really don't care about score...

we are not pulling out score to prove our point... we are refering to "stats"... the stats tell how many kills per hour for instance a guy who claims he has not trouble finding a fight gets...  If he has only a few kills per hour then he is indeed having trouble finding a fight or he simply has no idea what "finding a fight" means.  score and stats are two different things.
lazs

Offline DrDea

• Gold Member
« Reply #97 on: August 08, 2003, 04:14:40 PM »
Or hes not "Winning" those fights.Doesnt show how many he got into by ANY means.He might be finding them,but not surviving them all.Stats and scores show squat.Just who puts in the most time.Its just like AW in that respect.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #98 on: August 08, 2003, 04:30:04 PM »
Originally posted by beet1e

Folks might say "we want to keep the CV off shore so we can have great fights and furball action", when what they really mean is they want to vulch and pad out their scores and think what aces they are.

Ahh....the reply of a timid pilot.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #99 on: August 08, 2003, 04:32:07 PM »
Originally posted by Toad

The DA really doesn't have a "map". It has a bunch of little areas setup for various altitude engagments.

Now, if it had a map, with canyons, hills, oceans, CV groups it would be a much more populated place. ESPECIALLY if there were NO STRAT. I'd be in there pretty much all the time and I suspect the DA population would be much higher than it is now.

Be an interesting experiment to put one of the better small maps into the DA and turn the strat features off.

One of the reasons why I've always advocated a Fighter Town like map for the DA and even changing the name to Fighter Town.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #100 on: August 08, 2003, 05:35:44 PM »
It simply won't wash Beetle.

The current evolution of strat in this game was primarily player driven through this BBS.

The bomb sight threads and the supply/resupply threads are two good examples.

We initially had the simplistic Brand W field capture. It worked, it was all most of us needed and the fun was non-stop.

It's the evolution from there that has brought us to his contentious point.

And no matter how you dodge and dance, it was the whining for "more strat" that led to the present unbalance. Now you try to say it's the furballers that want to change strat? Yeah, change it BACK to what it was before the strat guys started whining to "change strat".

It's all here on this very BBS.

As for TOD, I'm content to wait and see. I have enough reasons to believe I know its intent that I look forward to brighter days in the MA for us girls that just want to have fun.

Time will tell.

If the strat oriented TOD doesn't achieve what I'm thinking it will, there is always the option of asking HT for the keys to the SEA whenever it's not in use or asking for a shot at overhauling the DA into a "map" environment. Some of the available maps (the CT Okinawa map for example) can be great furball maps given the right set up. I'm willing to take the time to learn some terrain editing/CM functions if that's what it's going to take to maintain my interest in the game.

He gave the CT a chance; why wouldn't he give the fun fighters a chance? I'm thinking a good setup would draw at least as many as the CT.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #101 on: August 09, 2003, 05:21:30 AM »
Yo, Steve

About last night, I still don't agree with you, but sorry the fight got carried away and turned sour. That goes same for other Rooks, sorry for  the cheezy reactions at country channel.

I still think slim did the right thing, but of course, you won't agree. But all's well that ends well, everybody at A5 did a good job, and no doubt you were doing terrific over there.

Sorry for the messy debate. I apologize.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #102 on: August 09, 2003, 09:01:54 AM »
dea... if you pull the kills per hour stat and the kill per death stat you will have a pretty good idea of how timidly someone plays or, how hard a time he has finding a fight.  score is meaningless but stats are important.
lazs

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #103 on: August 09, 2003, 10:38:43 AM »
Originally posted by lazs2
dea... if you pull the kills per hour stat and the kill per death stat you will have a pretty good idea of how timidly someone plays or, how hard a time he has finding a fight.  score is meaningless but stats are important.
lazs

To quote from the classic movie Animal House, BULL****. :D

Stats are just as meanless as score when used to try and judge someone else. Scoring is in the game because dweebs demand a way to count coup. Attemping to attach anymore meaning to it than that is inane. Why? Because YOU are the only one that knows how you play. Stats can be an indicator. But, never are they the end all..be all in judging either skill or play style.

I will use my experience yesterday as an example. I spent the majority of my online time flying high in the mountains in an attempt to intercept the buff dweebs harassing the gv players in tank town. That is definitely not conducive to having an impressive K/T. Whether you know it or not, I also spent an hour or so furballing with the Bish at 94. Got some kills, got kilt, had fun.

The point is... to rely on stats to judge play style is as inaccurate as relying on them to judge skill. :)
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline DrDea

• Gold Member
« Reply #104 on: August 09, 2003, 10:44:53 AM »
Yea I guess you could...Just never looked at that stuff.Detracts from my auger time ya know:rolleyes: