Author Topic: Grave doubts about the success of AH2 TOD  (Read 3077 times)

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Grave doubts about the success of AH2 TOD
« on: August 18, 2003, 10:06:08 AM »
I’m hoping that this thread won’t turn into a self-fulfilling prophecy. :(

I switched to Rook a while ago, just to meet some new faces. What I have learned from it only reaffirms what I already knew about the AH1 version of the game. The end result, whether that be a battle to win a field or the war itself, comes down to one thing, and one thing only – numbers. I decided to stick with the “weaker” team, certainly weaker in terms of numerical strength during Euro hours,  so that I could see what went on from the weaker side’s point of view. Plays havoc with k/d (lazs please note!), but someone had to do it. We were down to one field, and a CV. I decided to work with delphi44 and try to keep the CV for as long as we could.

A lost cause. We faced a wall of Bish TBMs – actually more like a chainsaw as they kept re-upping over and over, plus a divebombing LANC formation. All credit to the ship gunners – the LANCs went down, the carrier stayed up. But here comes another wave – heavy fighters and more TBMs. Much of the time it was 9v2. Hehe – I was waiting for some smart alec to tell us to come out of the ack to fight the 9 planes that had 5-10K alt advantage – lol. We concentrated on the TBMs and LANCs, and let the fighters die by following us into the ack. I had 3 kills credited to me without firing a single shot!

Eventually, the inevitable happened. The carrier went down, game over. And just then, the knits won the war at A3!

I don’t care for the repeat pork-n-auger suicide & re-uppage game, and that’s the primary reason I look forward to AH2. That, plus evenly matched planesets in missions, ie not F6F v Yak-9U, Spit1a v 109F4 or some other such mismatch.

But I’m beginning to wonder whether it will succeed. So many people have adopted the numerical supremacy smashdown, brute force, suicide fuel pork, LANC divebomb the CV and auger routine as a gameplay culture – and seem to enjoy it – that I wonder how many will actually have the patience/interest to spend time at AH2 TOD...

Offline Doyle

• Zinc Member
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2003, 10:16:49 AM »
I agree with you on this. Im glad that AH2 is going to be more realistic.... I guess thats the word for it, I dont know.   Anyway keep on flying guys....

-=SDoyle=-

Offline _Schadenfreude_

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2003, 10:17:35 AM »
Not having been in the game long all I can say is I think TOD will be about as popular or unpopular depending on yr point of view as CT is now.

MA will continue in exactly the same way as if TOD doesn't exist - as it won't for 98% of players.

Offline Killjoy2

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.nortonfamily.net
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2003, 10:32:48 AM »
I have concerns about AH2 also.

If the combat theater is unused, why will AH2 be popular?

If the player base in the main will do nothing but furball-suicide-strat, why will they jump into AH2?

AH2 is such a sharp departure from the main theater, I wonder if the player-base will make the jump.  Maybe for 1 week, but after that will we have a big-empty AH2?

One suggestion.  Limit the number of times you can up from a base after dieing.  Die twice and then you have to come up from another base.

Offline Virage

• Silver Member
Re: Grave doubts about the success of AH2 TOD
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2003, 10:33:11 AM »
Originally posted by beet1e
I don’t care for the repeat pork-n-auger suicide & re-uppage game...

Save a CV/Furball...

Kill an Ammo Bunker.
JG11

Vater

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2003, 10:34:10 AM »
The important thing to remember is the MA will get a new FM engine and much better graphics.  Whoooo hooooo!!!!

Offline Batz

• Gold Member
      • http://bellsouthpwp.net/w/o/wotans/4JG53/
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2003, 10:53:46 AM »
AH2 is not AH2: ToD (mission theater).

AH2 will be a continuation of AH1.XX

AH2 will be AH2 classic (same thing as current main but graphic upgrades and AH2:ToD. AH2 ToD wont be out right away from what I gether. AH2 classic will be the "beta". Once everything is ok then I assume once the main bugs are fixed it will be out.

AH2:ToD wont be dependent on numbers as its not an open arena. Missions will start in XX intervals. They will be ai bombers and gvs etc.  

So its sounds to me like some of yas need to read the TOD Forum.

As for number balance in the main thers never been balance and folks have been crying for years how the number imbalance hurts gameplay. But theres still 500 guys in the main.

Noneed to beat this horse again if you are upset with the imbalance make sure you move to the side with the lower numbers.

Offline Rude

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2003, 10:54:03 AM »
Premature postulation.....all will be good.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2003, 12:43:32 PM »

Scarlett~

"I can't think about that now...I'll think about it tomorrow."
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Grimm

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2003, 12:51:11 PM »
Smack me if Im wrong,  But isnt AH: TOD geared to attact some new type of players.   Its not geared at dragging folks out of the MA,  But to be open to a new market of players.  

Some will certainly fly it, and I expect everyone will check it out.  I dont remember it ever beeing presented as a fix to the MA .

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2003, 01:44:00 PM »
Toad...you really should stop tailgating Rood. Gonna cause an accident :).

I believe AH2 will be fine. I am not so positive about TOD. Generally speaking, I believe the MA will see very little change. But hey, HT has a habit of making things work...who knows :).
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline ccvi

• Gold Member
      • http://www.carl-eike-hofmeister.de/
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2003, 02:29:47 PM »
Originally posted by Killjoy2
If the combat theater is unused, why will AH2 be popular?

Because everyone goes where the most are logged in already.

Isn't the CT just another MA just with nicer maps and limited plane choice? Any other differences?

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2003, 04:11:40 PM »
Beetl1 what is your opinion on future landings of men on Mars?

Offline Zanth

• Silver Member
      • http://www.a-26legacy.org/photo.htm
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2003, 04:14:40 PM »
Only flight sim I played where you had hundreds of people in multiple arenas was Air Warrior.  There has got to be a lesson in there somewhere.

Offline brendo

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2003, 04:46:29 PM »
There is some good info on AH2 TOD that you could problably re-read.

Your above problem shouldnt really be such a big issue in a controlled environment.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2003, 04:49:43 PM by brendo »