Author Topic: University athletics reform?  (Read 561 times)

Offline Preon1

• Nickel Member
University athletics reform?
« on: September 12, 2003, 09:27:05 AM »
http://www.npr.org/features/feature.php?wfId=1428869

I heard this morning on NPR that Vanderbilt plans on abolishing their athletic department.  I know that my own alma mater (US Air Force Academy) moved it's athletic department under the control of the Commandant (it used to report directly to the Superintendent).

I seriously hope this sets a precedent that refocuses the efforts of universities on education.

Has anybody seen anything else on this topic?

Offline Pfunk

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2003, 10:00:10 AM »
Wanna know why Vanderbilt is doing that?  BECAUSE THEY SUCK,  they have no fan base, and are not bringing in the MONEY

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2003, 10:19:02 AM »
That may be part of the reason my Brother-in-law lost his job at the AFA a couple years ago. They cleaned house in the basketball coaching staff.

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2003, 10:28:03 AM »
Folks, this is the tip of the iceberg.

It won't be long before athletics diminish and vanish from high school as well. Athletics lose money, no question of it. Large school corporation in Evansville, IN just abolished sports this past summer. It won't be the last school.

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2003, 10:36:24 AM »
Its all gotten too big. High schoolers going straight to the NBA, HS football players starting on the 'roids at 14-15.

College sports is just a pro minor league and the hypocrisy of the NCAA is beyond description.

Offline mauser

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2003, 12:14:51 PM »
I have similar feelings here about our state school system.  Not focussed enough on education, and spending a lot of money on trying to get a winning Div I team.  

Budget cuts to our system:
http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2003/Sep/02/ln/ln11a.html

Head coach salary and bonuses:
http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2003/Aug/19/sp/sp02a.html

So state taxpayers get to send his two kids to private school??  But this doesn't just affect football... the new school president gets a fairly high salary (not as high as the football coach tho), and drives around in a Porsche Boxster (not a real Porsche but still...) while the previous president drove around in a Caddy I think.  All the while classes get cut, screwing up student attempts to graduate on schedule.  

mauser

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2003, 12:23:11 PM »
OTOH, we have dropped too many Phys ed requirements in our schools, and have allowed too many "substitutions". Like Art as a sub for field hockey. Paaaleeez. No wonder our kids are fatter than they've ever been.

I played a lot of sports in High School, and I don't remember having to BUY my uniforms, or pay through the nose for physicals and equipment. Hell we even got our shoes free on the varsity basketball team.  Anyone with kids nowadays will tell you that anything extracurricular will cost a fortune. Sad that our kids have so few option today.

One of my daughters once tried to make the cheerleading squad. Lucky for me she inherited my dancing ability. If she had made the squad I would have been expected to pay over $1000 for uniforms and equipment and travel ... dam!

Offline Pfunk

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2003, 01:20:26 PM »
You guys are getting this all wrong.  Yes while these piddly arse colleges/highschools may be abolishing sports that will NEVER happen in metro area schools in the south.  Here at the University of Georgia in Athens the football program pays for ALL thats right ALL other sports including intramurals, same with HS football.  Down here in the South football is BIG business and funds every other sports program.  Cutting out that would mean no more baseball,soccer,track etc.

Offline Preon1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2003, 01:22:20 PM »
MT, there's nothing wrong with making the activities available.  What I'm getting at is focusing the efforts of the community on those few activities.  The school district that I graduated High School from had a choice between building two new schools or upgrading the high school stadium and building a High School athletics gym that was going to be used by <10% of the High School students.  Guess which won out?

There's no doubt that physical standards have slipped.  Academic standards have too (how easy is it to get into college these days?)  My issue is that schools focus way to much on activities that will have no effect on their students' futures.  I'm glad some they are taking steps in the right direction.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2003, 06:49:49 PM »
I have no use at all for college level sports. AFAIC, it is a waste of time to claim the "jocks" are there to get an education. FWIW the HIGHEST paid employee of all educational facilities in the entire state of AZ is the UofA basketeball coach. Lute Olsen makes big bucks and doesn't teach a single class.

Classes get cut due to budget problems but Lutes' salary is exempt. His budget is unchanged. Go figure. :rolleyes:
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown