Author Topic: 8 Steps on how to be a Frame C.O. in Squad Operations.  (Read 1463 times)

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
8 Steps on how to be a Frame C.O. in Squad Operations.
« on: September 14, 2003, 11:12:09 AM »

1.   The moment you get the orders from the Admin CM look them over and see if there is anything you don’t understand. Objectives should be clear. What targets you are to defend and attack. Look for any errors. Admin CM’s make mistakes all the time.

2.   E-mail everyone on your side (Allied or Axis) and ask the squad C.O.’s what they would like to fly. Give them the list of AC available and let them choose. Explain to them you can’t promise they will get what they want, but you will try. Get this out as soon as possible.
*Friday Squad Operations – should get them Saturday or Sunday
*Sunday Squad Operations – should get them Monday or Tuesday
Here is a list of e-mails I have, which may or may not be complete.

880 glenbold@telus.net
Shillelagh aecesarz3@hotmail.com
332nd jwg11@mlode.com
Arctic Storm TracerX@serranosaz.com
Rogues cwbeals@sprynet.com
DoW CanDo-DoW-CO@pacbell.net
Fate me@steelriverstudios.com
339th jeff_holden1973@yahoo.com
68th bundy28@prodigy.net
VMF-101 dgideon@dgideon.org
FDB's snotstick@hotmail.com
Damned mikebowman-ah@sbcglobal.net
Airmageddon Airmageddondrone@aol.com
56th nomdegure@sc.rr.com
Air Raiders tk964@centurytel.net
MAW ice_nine_one@yahoo.com
325th absolutedeal@attbi.com
Mag33 ripsnort60@comcast.net
AK's  sidesl@sbcglobal.net
Zoo sandman935@softhome.net
412th davidlj@charter.net
III/jabos jabohq@msn.com

You can also find some in this thread.
http://www.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=90706

3.   Give squads a day to reply. First come first serve. Try to give squads what they request, but try to be aware of squads that have not had a good ride. You don’t want to stick a squad like the 412th or the 56th in buffs for three frames especially if they don’t want to.

4.   Once you have heard back from the C.O.’s (you will likely only hear back from about 1/3 of the squads) then assign their target. You can be specific and tell them:
-   How much fuel to take
-   What ordnance to load
-   What route and alt to take
-   When to hit the target
Or you can just assign the task and AC then leave it up to the C.O. of that squad how to complete that mission.

5.   Send out the orders as soon as you can. For Friday they should be sent out by Wednesday at the very latest. For Sunday Squad Ops the orders should be out by Friday at the very latest. If you are the kind of Frame C.O. that likes to use several maps and great detail in your orders then watch the time. If it takes you three days to get it done then you are taking too much time.

6.   Watch for questions from the Squad C.O.’s.  You may not have made something clear or you might have had an error. Check your mail every day prior to the frame and respond as soon as possible.

7.   On the night of the Frame try to show up early to answer any questions squad C.O.’s might have. Some Frame C.O.’s have a command channel they want squad C.O.’s to tune to. Others don’t worry about it and let the C.O.’s run their squads as they see fit. Just depends on your own style of leadership. Some Frame C.O.’s stay on the ground and try to keep track of all that is going one. They want updated information from squads when the enemy is contacted. They will be giving out orders to squads and making adjustment to plans. Others fly and enjoy themselves and let each squad deal with the problems at hand.

8.   Once the frame is done you responsibility is over till the next time you are asked to be a Frame C.O. :)

If all Frame C.O.’s followed these steps we would not have any squads complaining about lack of orders, or orders being late. Nor would we have squads complaining about the rides they get and being forced in rides they don’t want time and time again. When I started squad Ops nearly 3 years ago we had about 80 show up. We watched it grow to over 200 on a Friday night. Frame C.O.’s who don’t do their job will be removed from Squad Operations, because they don’t just spoil it for themselves, but over 200 other players who look forward to this every week.

------------------------
CO daddog
332nd Flying Mongrels
Roster
Noses in the wind since 1997.

Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant. Unknown
Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline TracerX

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2003, 12:56:38 PM »
Great points Daddog, but didn't you leave one out?  I thought you told me we were to always put the 332nd in the best aircraft available.  ;)

It is good to know that the orders will be out by Saturday or Sunday for the Friday TOD.  I will start looking for them earlier.  I remember the first frame I CO'd, I didn't get orders till Tuesday.  Those extra days will help.

Thanks for your efforts in organizing these events.

Offline Seagoon

• Gold Member
      • http://www.providencepca.com
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2003, 02:36:00 PM »
Thanks Daddog.

This was especially valuable because this is my first time as a frame CO.  I must learn in advance that no complaint goes unpunished. :eek:

Given that my usual TOD experiences consist of plink, plink, plink "see you in the MA" this will be interesting.

Just one minor complaint - your email list. Flying Zoo TOD CO is Seagoon. Sandman has hung up his Joy Stick for the moment. BTW, MA CO for the Zoo is Kbman.

- SEAGOON
SEAGOON aka Pastor Andy Webb
"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion... Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Offline daddog

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2003, 02:50:55 PM »
Glad it is a help. I would edit it above, but we only have two days to edit a post. After that we can't. :)
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline ghostdancer

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2003, 03:08:37 PM »
I am in the process of having a comm center built (rough around the edges) as fast as possible. It will be a bit like http://www.dgideon.org/rjo but hopefully the programming will be better and it will allow the CM to dynamically put squads into sides so you can just go to a web page see all the squads on your side and then click on a link to have your email client popup with all the email addresses inserted into the to field.
X.O. 29th TFT, "We Move Mountains"
CM Terrain Team

Offline Squire

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2003, 03:24:33 PM »
I would add to that that the CO should be mindfull of what squads have pulled bomber duty in an earlier frame, and also if there is a squad that may prefer their "main ride"...I know as a frame CO I try to give the 56thFG P-47s if they are available...or say the 332nd likes P-38s, or the JBs prefer 109s, these are just quick examples. Take the time to be considerate, it will be returned.
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline icemaw

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2003, 03:34:07 PM »
you should ask Skuzzy to make this a sticky.
Army of Das Muppets     
Member DFC Furballers INC. If you cant piss with big dogs go run with the pack

Offline 68falcon

• Platinum Member
      • 68th Lightning Lancers
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2003, 07:59:29 PM »
daddog,

In your post you have the old email for the 68th Lightning Lancers. You can use either one of these:

CO: 68KO                              Bundy28@comcast.net
XO Special Events 68Falcon: ybej@optonline.net

68Falcon
Commanding Officer
68th Lightning Lancers
Fear the Reaper no more. Fear the Lancers

Offline daddog

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2003, 10:31:09 PM »
I would add to that that the CO should be mindfull of what squads have pulled bomber duty in an earlier frame, and also if there is a squad that may prefer their "main ride"...I know as a frame CO I try to give the 56thFG P-47s if they are available...or say the 332nd likes P-38s, or the JBs prefer 109s, these are just quick examples.
Exactly right. That is why I put in #2 :)

2. E-mail everyone on your side (Allied or Axis) and ask the squad C.O.’s what they would like to fly. Give them the list of AC available and let them choose. Explain to them you can’t promise they will get what they want, but you will try. Get this out as soon as possible.
*Friday Squad Operations – should get them Saturday or Sunday
*Sunday Squad Operations – should get them Monday or Tuesday
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline 68falcon

• Platinum Member
      • 68th Lightning Lancers
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2003, 10:57:37 PM »
daddog,

That is it and thank you sorry for any inconvience

68Falcon
Commanding Officer
68th Lightning Lancers
Fear the Reaper no more. Fear the Lancers

Offline APDrone

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2003, 11:11:09 PM »
Airmageddon has different COs for each Squad Ops.

Friday: APDrone Airmageddondrone@aol.com

Sunday: SMUZ  AirmageddonSmuz@mchsi.com

Thanks!

<.S>
AKDrone

Scenario "Masters of the Air" X.O. 100th Bombardment Group

Offline daddog

• Plutonium Member
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline Holder3

• Copper Member
      • http://constable.ca
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2003, 06:32:01 PM »
Don't forget:

357 Bomber Group - machine_gunzz@hotmail.com and
VFA-136 NightHawks - rpmcoop@aol.com

I have the following email addy for Ripsnort - soupnazi60@yahoo.com anyone know which is correct?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2003, 06:38:52 PM by Holder3 »

Offline 214thCavalier

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2003, 07:51:11 PM »
Boy o boy some web crawlers gonna have a field day with all those blatantly posted emaill addys :)

Spam AHOY !