Author Topic: Connection quality after T1  (Read 207 times)

Offline Swager

• Silver Member
Connection quality after T1
« on: November 30, 1999, 07:33:00 AM »
Trying to find out the connection quality after the T1 lines have been put in.  

About 80% of the time I get the TCP warning.  You know the red "Could not establish connection switching to TCP"

When I fly in that mode I warp like a big dog!

The time I do not get this warning I can fly for about 15-20 min before I disco.

Different people are seeing better connection, no difference, and my category, worse connections.  Plus my beacon is not as stable.

Gona try some new things but if you have any suggestions, please feel free to let us all know.  I know I for one would appriciate it!

Weazel has sent me a program to help my connection quality.  I'll try it tonite, and let people know how it turned out.

If that is OK with you Weaz?!?

By the way, You Rooks were extremely lucky I had bad connections last nite!    

THANKS!!

------------------
Damn Ghostrider!  This bogey is all over me!!
Rock:  Ya see that Ensign, lighting the cigarette?
Powell: Yes Rock.
Rock: Well that's where I got it, he's my son.
Powell: Really Rock, well I'd like to meet him.
Rock:  No ya wouldn't.

Offline weazel

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 1999, 07:43:00 AM »
Sure,if it helps pass it on.

------------------
}]
 JG2 "Richthofen"

shower

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 1999, 01:27:00 PM »
it appears that the _server_ tries to establish the UDP connection.  bad server behavior.  many ISP's use a 'transparent proxy' to cache commonly requested pages to give a perceived increase in bw.  also a lot of people are behind firewalls (myself included).  my guess is these gateways are having trouble routing the UDP syn packets.  hopefully they will reverse this and allow the user to establish the UDP connection.  either that or i'll have to wait for the successor to 'ipchains'.  :-)

shower

ps - hey, why the heck am i a 'junior' member!

-kier-

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 1999, 01:32:00 PM »
UBBS requires a certain number of posts before you become a "full" member.  

Offline fats

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 1999, 01:34:00 PM »
Junior member is a member who actually thinks twice before he posts. The members are just big loud mouths who think they got all the answers and hence post to every thread. Actually the junior member/member thing is just to show if you have posted more than X number of posts. Think it was set to 37 ( ? ) in AH BBS.

//fats

Offline rosco-

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 1999, 02:11:00 PM »
 I dont think its just a certain number but a %of the number of registered users ,I am still waiting for member status as argo's  
but recieved member status here early on with only a few posts. Though I dont yak much at argo's just peek in from time to time.

Wimp

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 1999, 02:22:00 PM »
Rosco- it IS how many post you make. I run a UBB for work and I decide the number of posts required to become a member. (default is 10 I believe)

Also Kieren has his own UBB to.

------------------
Dewey

Baby Harp Seals

Offline Glasses

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 1999, 02:50:00 PM »
Since the T1 has been installed I too had an unstable beacon,only yesterday I remember turning green for like 20secs then going full yellow for 10 mins then red for 5 constantly and was dumped 3 times. Just to let you know I've had multiple time-outs  since the T1, which never happend before.

Offline Thorns

• Nickel Member
      • http://members.cox.net/computerpilot/
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 1999, 05:53:00 AM »
When entering Aces High, when is the IP established?  How can one decide which T1 connection to use or is the connection preset?  

Butchawk  

Offline DoctorYO

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 1999, 12:46:00 PM »
Swager,

Check your  network settings:

1. ensure you are using small packet size

2. ensure FIFO buffers are set to MIN on transmit and recieve.

3. Ensure bindings for dialup adapter are set for proformance exp: only have TCP/IP checked for bindings to  your  adapter(aka   your modem).

4. adjust MTU and  other registry settings for  networking. (Email me for details)..

5. ping your  ISP, if using a 56k modem u should have pings under  200ms with your ISP's  network. Anything else is unacceptable.

6.  traceroute the  new host and look for potential hold  ups...(Email  me if you need help understanding traceroute and also how to get ISP to change route to that host..)

7. expect holdups and other foulness  on Sunday.. Try to do all  of this  in wee  hours  of the morning  say  4:00  am eastern to get baseline of  information

Email Dryoh@hotmail.com if  you  are  still
having  problems..

Regards,

DoctorYO