Author Topic: again  (Read 273 times)

TT

again
« on: December 01, 1999, 01:55:00 AM »
 I just put a full 2 second burst into a spit at 200yrd with an A-8. no damage. This would not bother me so much if I hadnt just got through killing a con at 400 yrds with a snap shot. I exited the game and pinged. I had packet losses at two ip,s. This is the same thing that went on at WB. Realistic gunnery only works if you have a good connex.
 I dont care if you set the guns to stop working outside of 100 yrd just make them ork when you light a plane inside what ever range you want to make it

There has got to be a system that is not so dependent on the net to get a kill.

-kier-

again
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 1999, 07:40:00 AM »
TT sayeth:

There has got to be a system that is not so dependent on the net to get a kill.

With all due respect, think about that line for a second. What solution would you have for an online multiplayer game?  

Swoosh

again
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 1999, 10:35:00 AM »
Telepathy would work as long as this didn't happen:

Fighter Pilot Number One:  Hey, I got you!

Fighter Pilot Number Two:  Did not!

Fighter Pilot Number One:  Did too!

Or, as an alternate salution in case the first one doesn't pan out, maybe we can ressurectt Einstein and ask him to rewrite a special clause in the special Theory of Relativity for us Simmers.  "Nothing can go faster than light, except information between two computer systems on an international network."

Offline Minotaur

• Copper Member
again
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 1999, 10:52:00 AM »
TT;

I thought HTC just put in a T1 line.  Is there anything faster?

Or, do you mean they should modify the software to allow for more net latency?

This has been a problem with the net since I have begun using it for on-line gaming.

Mino

TT

again
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 1999, 12:39:00 PM »
 I beg to differ. I never had this problem with AH, FA, or pre 2.6 WB . Ive heard all the arguments about lazer guns. Well read wardogs post on how to HO at 1.2 with a P51 in the gunnery tips thread.

How about lazer guns that only work inside 150 yards. There should be some kind of reward for getting in close and lighting up a con.

Offline Minotaur

• Copper Member
again
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 1999, 01:40:00 PM »
cc TT  

Mino

Offline Maniac

• Gold Member
again
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 1999, 03:50:00 PM »
I will second this.

Sometimes i get really frustrated when people kills me d7+ away, or maybe im djust not used to this.

// -nr-1-
Warbirds handle : nr-1 //// -nr-1- //// Maniac

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
again
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 1999, 07:36:00 PM »
T-1 line is actually pretty far down the food chain. 3 T-1's = a T-3  

above that you have "sonet" and beyond..a T-1 gives 1.54 meg of thruput. 10 meg and beyond is now available...i'm sure as AH progresses they'll upgrade their pipe to the net.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline koala

• Copper Member
again
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 1999, 08:22:00 PM »
I'm probably wrong, but I believe the shoot packets are done TCP/IP, as opposed to the position packets which are done UDP.  This means that if you have a good lineup on a bogey and fire, those packets will eventually count as hits, albeit with some delay if there's packet loss.  Why you're not seeing hits is something I'm at a loss for, since I believe your front end will report whatever hits it sees immediately.  Are you seeing flashes but no kill, or no flashes at all?

ko

Offline Wardog

• Copper Member
again
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 1999, 09:06:00 PM »
TT

In the HO Merge i have to start shooting at 1.2 out to follow my tracers so i can see how hi or low im shooting. The actual damage to the AC is done closer to convergence setting.

But there is no way ill start shooting at 300 in the merge.. As i aim for the wing i need the exrta distance to track my shots.

CombatWombat

again
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 1999, 09:18:00 PM »
I kinda understand what TT is talking about.  Why model this fancy dispursion, bullet drop, etc, if a bit of lag makes the gunnery wierd and unpredictible in the first place?  I'm not saying go completely airwarrior blaster style on this, but something like eaw with convergence is more suitable imho.  
The gunnery just seems *wierd* at times.  I too have put tons of ammo into aircraft at close range only to watch them continue to fly.  Minutes later I may die no-ping to a P51 at 1.2 range.  Damage and gunnery just seems random in online sims if you ask me.

TT

again
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 1999, 11:21:00 PM »
koala. Just to be clear. The con cut throtte to force an overshoot. But he cut it to soon , which left him a setting duck. I saw a good 2 seconds of hit sprits.

Offline Grizzly

• Nickel Member
again
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 1999, 12:18:00 AM »

T-1 line is actually pretty far down the food chain. 3 T-1's = a T-3

above that you have "sonet" and beyond..a T-1 gives 1.54 meg of thruput. 10 meg and
                    beyond is now available...i'm sure as AH progresses they'll upgrade their pipe to the
                    net.

Actually a T-3 is equal to something like 30 T-1 lines.

------------------
grizzly

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
again
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 1999, 09:37:00 AM »

A T1 is a 1.544mb circuit. It can be broken down into 24 channels of 64 or 56kbps circuits. 64k or 56k depending on the T1 line coding used or needed.

A T3 is a 45mbps circuit and can be broken down into 28 T1's.

T3's are not cheap.

-Westy (I work in the same field as SB)

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
again
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 1999, 12:57:00 PM »
Come on Westy, we all know you do nothing but sit around all day posting to WWII FlightSim Newsgroups and BBS's  

You expect us to believe you actually have a job ??  

------------------
Vermillion
WB's: (verm--), **MOL**, Men of Leisure,
"Real men fly Radials, Nancy Boys fly Spitfires ;) "