Author Topic: rudders what do you use ?what did you pay?  (Read 616 times)

Offline Mark Luper

• Silver Member
rudders what do you use ?what did you pay?
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 1999, 06:27:00 AM »
I use an old set of the original TM RCS pedals I bought about 6 years ago. I use them with a CH Force FX and CH Pro Throttle. I modified my TM pedals to give me a more realistic feel and fly with my heels on the floor instead of on top. I use two heavy duty trucker style bungee chords, bout 1/2" in diam., and they give me a progressive feel to the pedals the further I push them. I made some insert replacements for the pedals that have a bar on the end of them so that when I fly I have heels on floor, balls on rudder pedals. Very much like the Aeronca Champ I flew. It feels very good and realistic to me and allows fine control. I have not had any problems with the pedals other than breaking the spring since I bought them. I highly recomend a similar setup. You do need to have something to keep them from sliding though. I use a piece of wood behind them that takes up the space from the pedals to the wall and they are very steady that way.
Self made pedals are a very viable and inexpensive solution too. If your handy with tools and have access to them you can design your own to do pretty much anything you like.
Twist grip joysticks are good from the standpoint that they offer all the control axis in one unit and are thereby a little cheaper than going with a full setup, but they have never felt realistic to me and I have always felt awkward trying to use them.
Hope this helps.

Mark
MarkAT

Keep the shiny side up!

Pirado

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 1999, 06:27:00 AM »
Come on Nassko. hahahaha  
Using hands is much more precision, "fine tune".
No, its not much job to my hands.  
Maybe 30 degreese, but its all what we need to apply FULL RUDDER control.

Also, like i told ya before.  Its much more confortable, i can leave my legs/feets in peace n  just relax.  
Hey... if i hurt my legs/feets in a football game, im still doing well.
Now, get ur pedals, but... if u r unable to use ur feets... u r unable to fly well... than will be easy to SHOOT YOU DOWN!
Lets play some football next weekend?
ahhh come on.. i will not hurt ur legs..  

------------------
Pirado
"The first rule of all air combat is to see the opponent first."
Adolf Galland

nassko

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 1999, 07:31:00 AM »
Full rudder ?
you can do that with keyboard too  

No, I was referring to precision rudder control and coordinated flight. I imagine it is harder to coordinate ruddder by twisting the stick which is already in one corner, for example.

Pirado

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 1999, 07:47:00 AM »
Can be precise. If its aready in one corner its not a problem.
Can fly cordinated with pratice, like you do using rudder pedals.
"I imagine it is..."
Stop to imagine, and try it  

------------------
Pirado
"The first rule of all air combat is to see the opponent first."
Adolf Galland

[This message has been edited by Pirado (edited 09-26-1999).]

nastee

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 1999, 11:24:00 AM »
I bought a set of CH Pro's at this following address. they give you a bunch of company's that sell computer equipment and compare the prices. http://www.shopper.com
try it out somethings cheaper here and somthings not, though a good source for what you might be looking for
~nastee~

jaeger

« Reply #20 on: September 26, 1999, 11:28:00 AM »
i use the simpeds mentioned in one of the posts (hoffmann electronics) and must say that i'm completely satisfied. the have no pots build in insted they work with an Hall generator. as for the feeling. you can make very fine adjustments with them. i believe i can obtain the same precision as other ppl do with their twist-o-rama sticks. additional there is the possibility of quick reactions without spoiling the aim due to wild twisting on the stick. (for e.g. snapshots etc).. kill me but i will never ever buy me one of this twiststicks. i must agree though that it is hard to get used in the first place but after a while your feets are dancing under the table and u don't even realise it. back to the simpeds. they are for sure better then the tm ons. i have both sets but since i use the simpeds the tm pedals just collect dust.

later

------------------
jaeger

The best approach to a battle....is surprise, make your attack and disappear and start a new attack. Don't get engaged and make it a dogfight.
Lt.General Adolf Galland, Luftwaffe

Thorne

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 1999, 01:17:00 PM »
I have TM elite pedals. They're cheap and have worked great for over a year. Before that I had CH pro pedals. They were constantly spiking. Finally I just dumped them in the trash where they belong.

"Never trust a gold to call your 6"

Thorne

Offline Sascha JG 77

• Zinc Member
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 1999, 04:13:00 AM »
How much are they Jaeger?

Sascha

Offline JoeMud

• Zinc Member
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 1999, 02:39:00 PM »
I use a MS force feedback it works fine. Have never used peddals but I admit I would like something to rest my feet on.

------------------
Gijoey,Joetwo,JoeMud=me
 DHBG!!

jaeger

« Reply #24 on: September 27, 1999, 04:38:00 PM »
check out this page.
 http://www.simmarket.com/simped.htm

Here you can order the simpeds and they have the prices listed. They are available for the MS something too.

------------------
jaeger

The best approach to a battle....is surprise, make your attack and disappear and start a new attack. Don't get engaged and make it a dogfight.
Lt.General Adolf Galland, Luftwaffe

Kangaroo

« Reply #25 on: September 27, 1999, 04:42:00 PM »
I used the MS FF twisty stick. Was great until I went online. Thing lasted about a year, total. The spring on the rudder twist tore out the soft plastic retainer and then deformed (Yeah, maybe I was going a little hard following a bogey). No repair (Just try to get repair parts from MS). Nice stick put just not very robust compared to the FF CH stick I replaced it with. BTW, I saw a box bundle at COMPUSA for a full TM rig (lower end) for $100.00. CH pedals, stick and throttle performing great, just miss my eight-way hat something fierce.