Author Topic: Should I add a forum to my page?  (Read 139 times)

Offline Downtown

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.tir.com/~lkbrown1
Should I add a forum to my page?
« on: December 06, 1999, 09:44:00 AM »
Someone e-mailed that I could have a UBB/Forum.

Should I, there are so many.

Subjects? Topics? Idears.

------------------
"I could feel the 20MM Cannon impacting behind me so I made myself small behind the pilot armor" Charlie Bond AVG
lkbrown1@tir.com
 http://www.tir.com/~lkbrown1
Very Opinionated Person.

-kier-

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 1999, 09:57:00 AM »
Having been a UBBS host for some time, I would ask you:

Do you want to host a BBS?

Will your ISP allow you to place the PERL scripts in their BIN?

What kind of audience do you want on your site?

Are you willing to put up with some of the rowdier people we see here?

Would you prefer to have a squad-only forum?

We (squad) had many different forums, ranging from Computer Tips to Scenario Plans. There was an ACM forum, a recruit forum, etc... Some of it was used a lot, some not. I can tell you it is an idiot-proof BBS (once set up).

The truth is, if you aren't going to provide something different, or if you aren't going to cater to a select audience, it may not be worth your trouble.  

Offline Downtown

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.tir.com/~lkbrown1
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 1999, 10:57:00 AM »
As I said, there are a lot of Forums already.

Generally speaking I don't have time to moderate and such.

As far as people rendering their various and sometimes contreversial opinions.  I am gennerally speaking Apathetic on the Subject.  You can share your opinion on any subject as far as I am concerned.

For Topics/Headings I was thinking.

WWIIOnline.
Warbirds.
Aces High.
Off Topic.
Military History.

If there were a way to make secure Unit Forums, I might consider this, but I believe that BnZ has alread done this.

Dogfighter has forums, Combat Sim has forums.
Agro has a froum.  WWIIOnline has forums.

If there is some subject that hasn't been already been given a forum, that many people would show interest in, I could/would probably do it.

But with the vast majority of Forums/UBBs available, as some Cathy Lee Gifford Fan said on another Forum.  "The World Needs another Forum Like it needs another Regis Philbon."  

Just trying to see if there is any interest, what would be good topics, is it worth it?

Perhaps if you all promised to Register, and I got Advitisor<sp?> I could get rich!!!!

------------------
"I could feel the 20MM Cannon impacting behind me so I made myself small behind the pilot armor" Charlie Bond AVG
lkbrown1@tir.com
 http://www.tir.com/~lkbrown1
Very Opinionated Person.

-kier-

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 1999, 11:24:00 AM »
UBBS is about as secure and easy to manage BBS as I've seen (hence its immense popularity). You can lock it down and password protect it if you wish or leave it wide open.

Still, the whole issue is like having a web page; why do you want one? If the answer is in any way "I don't know" then you probably don't need it. Without a core of users a BBS is useless, and if you aren't sure who you want to target, you probably aren't ready to host. BNZ's BBS failed (if you can call it failure) largely because he didn't offer something different, or attract enough of the AGW crowd, to make it worthwhile.

Forums are a natural outgrowth to companies such as iEN, WWIIOnline, and HTC. We gather here to discuss aspects of their game. Its valuable feedback to them, and they can cull it from a known source. It is also a place for them to disseminate information to us. This is UBBS at its best.

Rambling aside, pick the focus of a BBS, make it unique, make it informative, and they will come.  

Offline fats

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 1999, 11:57:00 AM »
--- Kier: ---
UBBS is about as secure and easy to manage BBS as I've seen (hence its immense popularity).
--- end ---

Last time I went through the source of UBB it had hole( s ) in it, now this was like 6 months ago so suppose they have fixed it by now.

//fats

-kier-

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 1999, 12:09:00 PM »
The caveat is as far as I've seen.   No doubt it can be hacked, but what would one gain?

Offline Camel

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 1999, 05:51:00 PM »
Be the first that lets people post AH movies, now that would be damn cool!