Author Topic: 10 years from yesterday  (Read 182 times)

Offline medicboy

• Nickel Member
10 years from yesterday
« on: October 04, 2003, 05:19:11 PM »
Oct 3rd 1993 ,worked my first shift on an ambulance.   Considering the average medic last 3-5 years before finding another line of work, not bad.

Oh ya, the other ambulance company in town went out of buisness yesterday....WAHOOOOOO!!!!!!

Offline wulfie

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.twinkies.com/index.asp
10 years from yesterday
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2003, 05:24:08 PM »
I take it you like the work?

What's your opinion of that Nicholas Cage movie about ambulance drivers/EMTs?

I think I'd have a hard time in your line of work.

Mike/wulfie

Offline medicboy

• Nickel Member
10 years from yesterday
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2003, 05:34:01 PM »
Ahhh, "Bringing out the dead".  Went a little overboard on the drugs and alchohol.  The burn out part is true, hence the 3-5 year  time limit.    Some of the things they said and did are very accurate and true, the heroin od's, telling the nut ball just how to cut his wrist to make it work next time ect.   Overall a very entertaining movie, but prolly had about as much realism as "Appocalips now".   (HE HE, good thing you don't have to spell to be a medic!)

I love the job, in another month I will start my job in Missoula ,Mt doing the same thing.   It's what I want to do till I turn 50 and join the Senior PGA.  :D :D :D

I'll never get rich but I'm married to an RN...  CHachhhhiiiinnnggg$$$$$$$

;)

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
10 years from yesterday
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2003, 06:47:18 PM »
My ex's family owned an ambulance company. Worst part of the business was trying to collect fees.

Offline davidpt40

• Silver Member
10 years from yesterday
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2003, 07:07:33 PM »
My mom has been emt for 25 years.

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.onpoi.net/ah/index.php
10 years from yesterday
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2003, 07:08:56 PM »
You need a thick skin for that job. I can only imagine what some accident scenes look like.
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

(and I still say he wasn't trying to spell possum!)

Offline medicboy

• Nickel Member
10 years from yesterday
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2003, 01:31:22 AM »
Originally posted by midnight Target
My ex's family owned an ambulance company. Worst part of the business was trying to collect fees.

You couldn't pay me enough to work in the billing office, you wouldn't believe the crap people try to do to get out of a bill.

Just got done doing a standby at the local college rodeo, aside from all the 20 year old girls in the rockeys, the bull ridding and broncs are fun to watch.  Had a 20 year old guy came out of the chute on a bronc, slid to the left and went down under, the horse stomped him 3 times in the chest.  Lucky for him he had a vest on, so the first 2 didn't do to much damage, the 3rd hit him under the right arm, breaking 8 ribs and puncturing the lung.   So I got to stick a needle through his chest right in the middle of the arena to relieve the pressure.  Only the 4th time I have done that, hard to get used to the feeling of working a large needle between the ribs....