Author Topic: What I thought of the beta:  (Read 865 times)

Offline ZDS1486

• Zinc Member
What I thought of the beta:
« on: October 15, 2003, 04:47:58 PM »
Ok, at first I was afraid I wouldn't be able to open it at all. After a little bit of meddling with various parts of my system, I finally managed to get the opening screen to load. Having done so, I clicked "OFFLINE" and waited...and waited...........and waited.........and yep, you guessed it, I waited some more. Nothing was happening.
I had to manually reboot my computer so I could turn the graphics settings down for the game.

I turned it down to 800x600 and was FINALLY able to load the game.

My first impressions were not favorable. First of all, the graphics at 800x600 were horrible. Absolutely horrendous. The buildings were a collection of textures slapped onto the map, and the horizon was not clear at all. In short, everything was really fuzzy. Having taken off, I noticed with a great deal of regret that they had replaced the P-51's gunsight with that of the Spitfires.. I immediately started missing it. Having climbed up to altitude, I decided to take some shots at the circling P-51s to see what the explosions were like.

Great was my dissapointment when I found out there WERE no explosions. Instead, the planes just dissapeared for a short time.
I looked down to take a look at the terrain, and then I was a little impressed. It had definately been turned up a notch or two.

I glanced up at my frame rate, and noticed I was only getting 34fps opposed to my normal 75fps in the old H2H rooms.

Too frustrated with the graphics to land, I exited the game and went to graphics settings to turn them up. Having turned them up to 1280x720 I attempted to re-enter the room.

The wait was even longer. I was afraid I'd have to manually reboot again. 2-3 minutes later, the tower finally appeared.

Though the graphics were greatly improved over 800x600, they were still greatly lacking. The thinner structures next to the runway sort of blended in with the skyline, blinking as I sped down the runway.

I took a look at my framerate. It was down by 12. I was only getting 23 FPS.

After shooting down, or rather, vaporizing the circling P-51s (after all, they didn't explode, they just dissappeared) I headed for the deck.

Now, most of you are probably thinking I have a crummy machine, and that's where my problems are coming from.

Negative, my machine is not crummy at all, here are its specs:

Pentium 4 at 2.4GHz
512MB ram
100GB hard drive
64MB Geforce 4 ti4200 (This graphics card out performs the new 128MB Geforce FX cards)

I run the H2H games in the current version of Aces High with everything maxed out.
1600x1200, and I get 75 fps.

Is this what is going to be replacing the old Aces High? I do understand this is the beta version and all that, but from what I saw today AH2 in its current state is not an improvement over the previous version. In fact, it is a step backwards.

Of course, I am betting anything that I am going to be flamed big time for this critical post, but I felt I had to tell you all what I thought of it.

-Ace

P.S. The trails from the tracers are nice. The spirals make it look much more realistic.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2003, 04:54:01 PM by ZDS1486 »

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2003, 04:57:37 PM »
"Is this what is going to be replacing the old Aces High? "

Not quite.    This is a beta test you've downloaded and tried. An early one at that.  I'll let others explain what a beta is ;)

(yields soap box to my esteemed seal beating collegues>
« Last Edit: October 15, 2003, 07:20:55 PM by Westy »

Offline ZDS1486

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2003, 05:10:19 PM »
Yes, I do know that this is an early beta. Isn't the game coming out this year though? Seems like there's still a LONG way to go:confused: .

-Ace

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
Re: What I thought of the beta:
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2003, 09:17:29 PM »
Originally posted by ZDS1486
Is this what is going to be replacing the old Aces High? I do understand this is the beta version and all that, but from what I saw today AH2 in its current state is not an improvement over the previous version. In fact, it is a step backwards.

Of course, I am betting anything that I am going to be flamed big time for this critical post, but I felt I had to tell you all what I thought of it.

Well this is the first of what is probably going to be many steps to have the full release before the year is out.

Considering this is the first beta release of a flight sim that was re-written from January till now is not a small feat for a small development team. And it seems to be a hell of a rewrite. So my only gripe right now is that the planes aren't all finished but hey it appears  they had to rework the entire 3D engine so its not surprising

I have only had a very small amount of time in it and was getting 40-50fps (much lower than my regular 75-85 fps with a GF4 Ti4400) flying but didn't have long load times. Not one was over 5-10 seconds from clicking the offline button to showing up in the tower.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2003, 09:26:48 PM »
I think beta participants have to be the most dedicated, smartest, and toughest of all aficionados to help game developers work out the kinks, especially with all the customers' different setups.  

I remember when Aces High itself was beta.  I downloaded it, took a look, liked some of what I saw and also disliked some.  I lacked the tenacity then to keep working with a work in progress, and after downloading the Aces High II beta, I find I still lack that degree of dedication.

I'll wait for the finished release, and meanwhile thank the HiTech crew and all of you beta testers for helping make it as good as possible.
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)
Paramedic to Perkaholics Anonymous

Offline davidpt40

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2003, 09:45:13 PM »
Don't fret guys, AH1 Beta was about the same as this (well maybe a bit better).  We will get it smoothed out.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2003, 10:24:05 PM »
Definately ... I have faith. But I'll hafta rely on you guys, it seems, as I stash the cash for the memory and video upgrades (and read the reports of what hardware is working best with AHII). <>

Offline crabofix

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2003, 03:04:00 AM »
Muhahahaha.

I have aprox: 1 frame per 3 min (180 sec).
But it just goes to show that it is right, as I need a major upgrade of my computersystem.

The screenshoots that has been posted by variouse people shows that this is something great and I droll to see what it will be like in say: 6 months from now!

Cant hardly wait to make that systemupgrade. Still waiting to see that dollar drop just a couple of % more and I will have my "monster" OTW.

Offline Kadesh

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2003, 07:27:22 AM »
Originally posted by davidpt40
Don't fret guys, AH1 Beta was about the same as this (well maybe a bit better).  We will get it smoothed out.

David ... AH1 Beta was a LOT better than this.  I was there in September 1999 when AH1 beta was first released.  It was a FAR more complete package than what we are seeing so far in AH2.

HT has always had a big rep about the amazing speed at which he can write code.   If its taken him since January to write this, then he's only been working 2 days a week!

Let's face facts .... even for an alpha build, this is the ugliest POS I think I've ever seen in my life.

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2003, 07:55:04 AM »
Originally posted by Kadesh
David ... AH1 Beta was a LOT better than this.  I was there in September 1999 when AH1 beta was first released.  It was a FAR more complete package than what we are seeing so far in AH2.

HT has always had a big rep about the amazing speed at which he can write code.   If its taken him since January to write this, then he's only been working 2 days a week!

Let's face facts .... even for an alpha build, this is the ugliest POS I think I've ever seen in my life.

Think of it differently :
AH2 download is already at about 36 Meg
AH1 is about 34 Meg

My guess is the planes are not all included to save bandwith and because HT want to test the graphical engine not the planes.

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2003, 10:10:23 AM »
AH 1 beta was something like 6-7megs + HiRes pack wasn't it?

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2003, 02:29:07 PM »

There's nothing funnier than seeing a post from an arm chair expert with their 'expert' opinion.  Just out of curiousity Kadesh, how much experience do you have in developing a game?

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline mrblack

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2003, 02:32:45 PM »

Wow with an expert like you on board HT could have done it in daysLOL:D

Offline SunKing

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2003, 03:12:46 PM »
sounds like hes getting demo and beta mixed up.

Im sure he made it to the HTC black list with that post.

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2003, 04:18:15 PM »
Originally posted by davidpt40

The AH open beta was ALOT better than this (really a "pre-alpha") release....just amazed how much garbage is on the bbs....load it up...see if it locks up...see if runs...check the FPS and look for MAJOR rendering errors....then DELETE it....took me bout 30 sec to fire it up and check out...and 10 sec more to forget about it.

Once they (whole crew) are confident that it will run across the broad spectrum of systems/hardware reasonably well then they will get to the real business at hand

Truthfully they should of just run a closed beta instead of tossing a bone to the dolts.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson