Author Topic: Vista: Performance Hints and Tips  (Read 46976 times)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Vista: Performance Hints and Tips
« on: March 14, 2007, 10:17:45 AM »
Updated: August 6, 2008
--------------------------------

Microsoft has published a Vista Performance Guide.  It does require SP1 for Vista to be installed.  There are a couple of thigns in the guide that might be helpful, but ignore the SuperFetch and ReadyBoost claims on how they improve performance.  The performance gains come at the expense of other applications that depend on memory being available to use that is suddenly being used by the operating system.
------------
As of today, I am now on a Vista Ultimate based computer.  The last week, I have been trying to get things settled down enough to get this computer to play the game well.

Along the way, there are some things I discovered.  What I would like to accomplish in this thread is to come up with a streamlining list of things people can do to help them get the most out of their computer and the game.

I really expect this to be a thread of discovery, more than anything else, even though I have worded it as a tutorial, as that is the eventual intent.

With that, let's get started!  The computer I am working with has the following specifications

Operating System: Vista Ultimate
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6300
Memory: 1GB DDR2 PC6400 (no giggles please; this seems what OEM's are shipping)
Video Card: ATI X1600XT w/256MB of video RAM (better than most OEM video cards, but definately, in the lower 50% of performers)
Hard Disk: 400GB SATA 2.0 (it was laying around doing nothing)
Sound Card: Onboard cheapo Realtek (again, most OEM use cheapo sound chips)
Network: Onboard cheapo Realtek (OEM's like cheapo network adapters as well)

After a fresh installation of Vista Ultimate, and not doing anything, Aces High II would yeild about 50FPS, when in the tower and drop quickly into the 30's if I tried to do anything at all.  This will be improved upon.

After going through and cleaning up errant processes, I have gotten Vista down to using around 330MB of system RAM.  I am sure there is more to be gained, but I think this is a good place to start.  The default memory usage after a clean installation of just the operating system was around 900MB.  This will vary based on various drivers you have installed.

The drivers used all came with Vista, except for the sound card/chip (I installed it from the CD which came with the motherboard).  As it happens, the ATI driver with Vista does not come with the ATI control panel, which is actually a good thing due to the overhead of the ATI Catalyst Control Center (even when it is not running).

The goal with the hardware was to get something fairly representative of what OEM's ship with Vista.  Now, on with the tweaks.

NOTE: The following is completely up to the user to do.  If  you chose to use any of the following suggestions, you do so at your own risk.

1) Right-click on the task bar, select the "Start Menu" tab, and switch to "Classic View".  This changes the "Start" menu and makes it easier to get to some things.  It will also place a few more icons on your desktop, which were hidden before.

2) Under the "Notification Area", uncheck the "Hide inactive icons".  Only check "Clock" and "Volume" under the System icons list.  The more icons you display in the task bar, the more overhead there is, particularly if the icon changes.

3) At this point in time you might notice a couple more icons on your desktop.  Right-click on the "Computer" desktop icon.  Select "Properties" from the menu that comes up.
From the left menu list, select "Advanced System Settings".  From the "System Properties" panel, select the "Advanced" tab, then press the "Settings" button in the "Performance" section (should be the first one).
Now, check the "Adjust for best performance" option.  Press the "Apply" button.  Things will change dramatically on your desktop.  Do not worry, you can always add various items back in at this panel.  Do so now, and press the "Apply" button as you make each change to see what it does.

4) Now, get back to your desktop.  Things should look a lot like Windows 2000 did.  Now, to finish up the cleanup with the desktop.  Open the "Control Panel", then select the "Classic View" option. Now you can open the "Administrative Tools" icon.  Open the "Services".
Now, I cannot stress enough, this section can be risky.  Just be careful and take your time.
In this section, there is a list of possible services Vista will run.  Some are already running, some are stopped, some run once, and some never run.  It all depends on the software you have loaded. I should also note, there are several different versions of Vista available.  Not all will contain the same set of services.
Find the "Themes" service in the list, which ships with all versions of Vista.  Once you find that line item.  Double-click on it.  A menu pane will open up.  In the "Service Status" section, press the "Stop" button.  Next, set the "Startup Type" to either "Manual" or "Disabled".  Then press the "OK" button.

Now, everything above had to do with the desktop and windows appearance.  It also reduced the memory footprint of the operating system considerably and reduced the overhead for the video subsystem.  It may not be pretty, but the goal is to make the operating system take as little resources as possible to get the job done.

Depending on which version of Vista you have, you might have noticed Vista seems to spend a lot of time accessing the hard drive and filling up the available memory of your computer.  You can watch this action by opening the "Task Manager" (Ctrl-Alt-Del) and selecting the "Performance" tab.  Watch the "Physical Memory" section.  The effects are most noticeable after a fresh reboot.

Vista has several services which eat up memory very quickly.  One of the processes causes an inordinate amount of disk activity.  It is the services in Vista where we will start next.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 02:58:18 PM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 10:45:09 AM »
Updated: March 18, 2007

This is a list of stock services which come with Vista Ultimate (note: it is not a complete list).  Some are already disabled and/or set to manual mode.  If it is not listed, it is set to run automatically in the Services utility.

Disabled Services
  • Base Filtering Engine
  • Certificate Propagation
  • Internet Connection Sharing (only safe if you are not sharing your Internet connection on your local computer)
  • IP Helper
  • Net.tcp Port Sharing Service
  • Parental Controls
  • ReadyBoost
  • Remote Registry
  • Routing and Remote Access
  • Security Center
  • SSDP Discovery
  • Superfetch (suppose to help start programs faster by filling all available memory with the most recently used programs.  Seems to be nothing more than a resource hog.)
  • Table PC Input Service
  • Themes (this is a huge resource hog)
  • UpnP Device Host
  • Windows Defender (also be sure to disable it from starting in the Start->Run->msconfig startup tab)
  • Windows Firewall (if you have a reouter with a firewall, it is best to use it)
  • Windows Media Center Extender Service
  • Windows Media Center Receiver Service
  • Windows Media Center Scheduler Service
  • Windows Media Center Service Launcher
  • Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service (this is a nasty one.  It causes all manner of pauses and stutters and will spontaneously reappear even when it is stopped)
  • Windows Remote Management
  • WinHTTP Web Proxy Auto-Discovery Service

Manual Start Services
  • Application Experience
  • Application Information
  • Application Layer Gateway Service
  • Application Management
  • Block Level Backup Engine Service
  • CNG Key Isolation
  • COM+ System Application
  • DFS Replication
  • Diagnostic Service Host
  • Diagnostic System Host
  • Distributed Transaction Coordinator
  • Extensible Authentication Protocol
  • Fax
  • Function Discovery Provider Host
  • Health Key and Certificate Management
  • Human Interface Device Access
  • Interactive Services Detection
  • IPSec Policy Agent
  • Link-Layer Topology Discovery Mapper
  • Microsoft .NET Framework NGEN V2.0.50727_X86
  • Microsoft iSCSI Initiator Service
  • Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider
  • Netlogon
  • Network Access Protection Agent
  • Network Connections
  • Peer Name Resolution Protocol
  • Peer Networking Grouping
  • Peer Networking Identity Manager
  • Performance Logs and Alerts
  • PnP-X IP Bus Enumerator
  • PNRP Machine Name Publication Service
  • Portable Device Enumerator Service
  • Problem Reports and Solutions Control Panel Support
  • Protected Storage
  • Quality Windows Audio Video Experience
  • Remote Access Auto-Connection Manager
  • Remote Access Connection Manager
  • Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator
  • SL UI Notification Service
  • Smart Card
  • Smart Card Removal Policy
  • SNMP Trap
  • Telephony
  • Terminal Services Configuration
  • Terminal Services UserMode Port Redirector
  • Thread Ordering Server
  • TPM Base Services
  • Virtual Disk
  • Volume Shadow Copy
  • Windows Backup
  • Windows Cardspace
  • Windows Color System
  • Windows Connect Now – Config Registrar
  • Windows Driver Foundation – User-mode Driver Framework
  • Windows Event Collector
  • Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)
  • Windows Installer
  • Windows Module Installer
  • Windows Presentation Foundation Font Cache 3.0.0.0
  • Windows Search
  • Wired AutoConfig
  • WLAN AutoConfig
  • WMI Performance Adapter

If you install a lot of applications, you could see others in this list.  Sometimes an application will install something to run in background when it really does not need to run in background.  This is something you have to experiment with for yourself.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2007, 08:56:12 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline AKDogg

• Gold Member
      • http://aksquad.net/
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 11:29:19 AM »
Here is a website on services for Vista

http://members.rushmore.com/~jsky/id31.html

I think this one is a better list.

http://www.speedyvista.com/services.html
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 11:32:29 AM by AKDogg »
AKDogg
Arabian knights
#Dogg in AW
http://aksquad.net/

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 11:51:34 AM »
Some of the services listed as 'safe' to disable (the second link) are not safe to disable, depending on the computer configuration.

For instance.  You used to be able to disable/shutdown the Windows auto-updater.  Now, Windows Update has to be running, even if you want to manually get the updates.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 11:58:11 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2007, 12:06:17 PM »
Next up:

Now that you have your "Computer" icon available on the desktop, let's do some more tweaks.

Right-click on the "Computer" icon, select "Propertes".  Then select the "Advanced System Settings" from the list on the left.

In the "Systrem Properties" Panel which pops up.  Select the "Remote" tab.  Make sure the "Allow Remote Assistance connections to this computer" is NOT checked.  

Next, check the "Don't allow connections to this computer" option in the "Remote Desktop".  

A caveat.  When you select these options in the “Remote” tab, no one will be able to remotely connect to your computer and use it like it was their own.  This will prevent other remote computers from connecting to your computer and using your desktop as thier own.  Some OEM computer companies have started using this feature as an aid to debugging problems.  I know Dell does for sure.  So, if you have a Dell, you will need to enable this feature when you contact them for support.

Next, under the “System Protection” tab, I personally uncheck any drives or folders which are checked.  I have found system restore to cause more problems than it fixes and the overhead for the operating system is just not worth it.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 08:01:43 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2007, 12:41:46 PM »
Oh, Vista is also configured to run a disk defragmenter once a week via the task manager.  It is set to run at its first oppertunity, if it misses is scheduled time.  This can be a performance killer in a big way.

I have disabled it so I can run the disk defragmenter manually.

To see all the various tasks Vista has sceduled open the Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Task Manager icon.  Expand the lists on the left until you get to "Windows".  In that list will be shown all the things Vista can run as a background task.

Some are enabled, some are disabled.  You can re-configure them if you like.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2007, 06:13:03 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2007, 12:47:09 PM »
For those with multi-CPU or multi-core systems.

Open Start->Run->msconfig.  Oh, you will not have a "Run" option from the "Start" menu, unless you switch to Windows classic view.  Aero and the standard Vista GUI do not have "Run" as an option.  However, you can still reach the "Run" menu option by pressing the "Windows key + R" on the keyboard.

In msconfig, select the "Boot" tab.  Press the "Advanced" options button.  Check the "Number of processors" option and select the count from the dropdown list.  By default, Vista will only use one CPU to boot.  It does help speed the boot process if you have a muti-core system and enable them here.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 06:03:29 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2007, 12:55:52 PM »
Ref multi core and vista..

If I remember right we used to disable one core in XP for AH2. I thought that was not longer required. Yes? No? I'm pretty sure I was running a dual core on AH2 using XP without disabling it and experienced no concerns.

Will a quad using vista need to be disabled down to one core to run AH2? Your post above seems to indicate using multi cores?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 12:58:11 PM by DamnedRen »

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2007, 01:14:41 PM »
Aces High II has never had a problem with multi-core CPU's.  Quite the opposite.  As a natively multi-threaded application it runs better on multi-core CPU's.

The problem with multi-core CPU's was related to AMD's implementation which they patched to correct the issues.  There has never been a problem with Intel dual core or HT (hyper-threaded) enabled CPU's.

Quad core is a bit of a waste of money.  Faster dual core CPU would be a better bet.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 06:05:17 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2007, 10:35:10 PM »
Originally posted by Skuzzy
Aces High II has never had a problem with multi-core CPU's.  Quite the opposite.  As a natively multi-threaded application is runs better on multi-core CPU's.

The problem with multi-core CPU's was related to AMD's implementation which they patched to correct the issues.  There has never been a problem with Intel dual core or HT enabled CPU's.

Quad core is a bit of a waste of money.  Faster dual core CPU would be a better bet.

Thanks Skuzzy. That clears that up.

Offline Dadano

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2007, 11:15:43 PM »
Why get vista if you are just going to maim the display?

Would Skuzzy recommend vista?

How is it working with other programs?

Can you implement windows versions of programs or does it have to be a windows vista version?
Dano
Army of Muppets

"Furballing is a disease, and we are the cure... Oink."
-Twitchy

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2007, 06:41:56 AM »
Originally posted by Dadano
Why get vista if you are just going to maim the display?
All OEM computers come with Vista now.  It is not a matter of choice anymore.  The 'Aero' graphical interface is very resource intensive and cumbersome for most people to use.  If you think losing a huge percentage of performance in every program, is worth running it, then you can chose to do so.
There is absolutely no technical benefit to Aero.  None.  And it can get in the way of running many things as it hides things from the user.  Having 'Aero' as your desktop is akin to hiring an air brush artist to paint your washing machine.  Sure, it will be prettier, but at the end of the day, it is still a washing machine.

Would Skuzzy recommend vista?
I do not make recommendations.  The task at hand is to help people use what hey have while getting the most out of it.  Slimming down Vista helps get back some of the 25 to 35% performance loss you automatically lose by using Vista over XP Pro.  My personal computer, at home, will never have Vista on it.  Vista does nothing better than XP does and in many cases, it cannot do what XP can.

How is it working with other programs?
I presume you are talking about the compatilibity problems with Vista.  There are many programs which will not run under Vista, which work fine under XP Pro. Some of the problems are due to bugs in Vista.  Microsoft just released a patch which corrects problems with about 50 or so programs.
However, there are some which will never work as the API's (application programming interface) have been removed from Vista due to DRM (digital rights management) requirements.

Can you implement windows versions of programs or does it have to be a windows vista version?
Not sure what you are asking.  It is quite easy to implement programs which will run on all versions of Windows, bugs aside.  It is also quite easy to create programs which would only run under Vista.  But then again, you could also create programs which would run only under XP.
It is a conscious effort to create programs which only work on one version of Windows.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 06:08:01 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2007, 09:07:14 AM »
I should also note, the latest updates to Vista have created a problem in my computer, where long pauses are now occurring whenever the cursor approaches a button in Internet Explorer 7.

It does not always happen, but it is happening often enough to cause a great deal of frustration.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Gatr

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2007, 05:48:12 PM »
Setting here banging head on desk knowging someday I will have to give up XP pro......
Saddness
Gatr

Offline dmf

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2007, 09:20:39 PM »
Ok I havent read this entire thread skuzzy but good job on the vista tips. Heres another one for you.

uninstall anything that comes from or with wild tangent, its full of spy ware that    eats memory alive.