Author Topic: Best Methods of Vision around your aircraft  (Read 2429 times)

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
Best Methods of Vision around your aircraft
« on: March 10, 2009, 09:28:01 AM »
As a new player, can someone suggest the best keystrokes for views around your aircraft other than external view.  If that is really the best way to view your AO, is there anyway to pan without using that view?  This would cut down on the level of activity in the cockpit while getting shot at.
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
Re: Best Methods of Vision around your aircraft
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 09:37:51 AM »
If you have a joystick, set up your hat switch for your views. This is best done on the runway while parked. Use up/down and arrow keys (while holding hat switch in desired direction) to get the best angle, then hit f10 to save your view. If you have a mouse, use the number keys on your keyboard. You have to set up your views for every plane you fly.
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 09:39:47 AM »
See this extensive writeup on the AH view system on the Aces high Training Corps website:

http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/views/views.htm

« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 09:47:23 AM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2009, 01:49:14 PM »
Thanks to both of you...much appreciated and it worked.  Now I just need to shoot better! HAHA
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline Gooss

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.327th.com
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009, 06:48:11 PM »
May I suggest a little offline practice as well.  While in a fight, it's really important to see your attacker.  Practice helps.

Fly around the drones from different angles to get the hang of how to keep them in sight ALWAYS.

Start with barrel rolls from behind then from different angles.

Good luck.  Looking forward to being one of your kills.

HONK!
Gooss
CHICKS DIG GULLWINGS
flying and dying since Tour 19

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2009, 06:49:28 PM »
May I suggest a little offline practice as well.  While in a fight, it's really important to see your attacker.  Practice helps.

Fly around the drones from different angles to get the hang of how to keep them in sight ALWAYS.

Start with barrel rolls from behind then from different angles.

Good luck.  Looking forward to being one of your kills.

This is good advice.  I still do this once in awhile as a warmup before logging into the main arena.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 10:20:12 AM »
See this extensive writeup on the AH view system on the Aces high Training Corps website:

http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/views/views.htm

Indeed, this is all anyone needs to set up their views. However, if you have multiple 8-way hat switches, you may want to set two of them. One for the standard 8 horizontal views, and the second for 8 views 45 degrees up. This is how I have my system set and it works very well.

The final alternative is to invest in TrackIR. I have a this as well, but I honestly prefer the hat switches.

Your ultimate goal should be to fly with your head completely out of the cockpit, continuously looking at the enemy... It takes much practice.

My regards,

Widewing
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 10:21:46 AM by Widewing »
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline 4deck

• Silver Member
      • (+) Precision
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2009, 12:05:02 PM »
Indeed, this is all anyone needs to set up their views. However, if you have multiple 8-way hat switches, you may want to set two of them. One for the standard 8 horizontal views, and the second for 8 views 45 degrees up. This is how I have my system set and it works very well.

Widewing

I use 2 sticks, but the second hat switch is for other functions. I would just use 1 hat switch witha  button COmbination of the Lookup key. THis will allow 16 views with one hat switch. (for instance I have a pinky button on my CH stick for this). So the hat switch Looks left, is now Look 45% up left when button applied too. The only exception is hat switch pushed forward, this is just look up 45% forward, whether pinky switch enabled or not.
Forgot who said this while trying to take a base, but the quote goes like this. "I cant help you with ack, Im not in attack mode" This is with only 2 ack up in the town while troops were there, waiting. The rest of the town was down.

Offline trotter

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2009, 02:29:30 AM »
Also, I know it's been debated before, but I would recommend keeping the views on pan rather than snap (this is assuming you are using numpad keys for views, and not using track ir). The panning swivel to each view will not only help you better understand the relative motion of your craft to bandit, but you will often pick up icons during the very quick pan to your desired view that otherwise would have been skipped in a snap look.

Offline Ruah

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 12:38:07 AM »
I know I will be getting trackIR - I have 3 screens, I try to ise the wheel on the JS - but the fact that I can't look around is the single most upsetting thing. . . and trackIR is the only thing that can 'fix' this imo

Kommando Nowotny
I/JG 77, 2nd Staffel
Mediterranean Maelstrom
HORRIDO

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2009, 06:58:36 PM »
I know I will be getting trackIR - I have 3 screens, I try to ise the wheel on the JS - but the fact that I can't look around is the single most upsetting thing. . . and trackIR is the only thing that can 'fix' this imo

Wheel on JS? Do you mean the hat? As in "8-way" hat? what stick are you using? Maybe we can help you out until you get a trackir.

Ren

Offline Ruah

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2009, 01:22:01 AM »
yes, a hat. . .sorry

I think it just takes a lot of practise, but after using a friends trackIR system for a few days (after which he claimed it back) I am pretty set on that. 

Kommando Nowotny
I/JG 77, 2nd Staffel
Mediterranean Maelstrom
HORRIDO

Offline frank3

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2009, 05:17:19 AM »
I'm abit rusty, what is TrackIR?

Offline Lye-El

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2009, 01:52:08 PM »
I'm abit rusty, what is TrackIR?

It's a head tracker that lets you look around using small movements of your head. Turn your head right and your view swings right. It will also move you closer or away from the dash by leaning a bit forward or back. Leaning side to side is also supported. I would like to get one.

i dont got enough perkies as it is and i like upen my lancs to kill 1 dang t 34 or wirble its fun droping 42 bombs

Offline freakngroovn

• Zinc Member
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2009, 08:51:39 PM »
i have my hat switch set up for views around my aircraft, but have an issue when look up thru the canopy at another plane and as i pull around or climb up after it, the plane moves closer to the bottom edge of my monitor.  once at the bottom edge i think i ought to be able to go back to the straight ahead view and regain visual on the target.  low and behold he isn't there.  other times i've kept viewing upwards a few seconds after the plane has disappeared from view off the bottom of the monitor, then gone back to forward, and the plane has still not come into view.  I find myself quickly bouncing/snapping between up/fwd to try to keep tabs on the guy.  and in some instances, while he is in neverland between up/fwd, he'll maneuvre and i find myself wasting time trying to reacquire, and often lose visual all together.  is this an issue with my set up?  are there options/settings that will alleviate this?  thanks!