Author Topic: Making a 300$ computer run AHII 2.14  (Read 3073 times)

Offline AirFlyer

• Silver Member
Making a 300$ computer run AHII 2.14
« on: July 29, 2009, 11:35:43 PM »
Opening
I've been watching the forums the last two days, and it didn't take long to notice a lot of people were having hardware problems. Luckily I myself have a very good computer, and the new version has been no problem for me. I've been trying to help people a bit here and there but it's fairly overwhelming for HTC and others who usually try and provide technical support. So instead I've decided to take a different route, instead of trying to help people from my computer I decided to go to the computer downstairs that is used for nothing but Internet browsing and make it run AHII. I bought this computer maybe 2 months ago for my mother and when I built it I never intended it to even play games, I just built it so it would run normal day applications smoothly and as the title suggest it only ran me about $300 for the whole tower. I want to note that this is in no way a tutorial guiding you to optimize your computer, rather my story and results of trying to make a low-end computer run AH. There are plenty of good tutorials on the forums already and if nothing else this may give you an idea of what to look for.

Hardware
First, lets start with the basic build of this computer, my main goal when building this was for it to be cheap and yet not make to many sacrifices on performance where I thought it would be needed.

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000 Brisbane 2.6GHz ($50)
GPU: Radeon HD 3450 256MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 ($30)
Mobo: ECS Geforce6100PM-M2 ($50)
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 160GB 7200RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb ($35)
RAM: OCZ (2x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 ($20)
PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer PPCS420X 420W ($50)

As you can see there is nothing spectacular running this computer, and IMO would be considered fairly low end for today’s PC gaming market. I know that doesn't total 300 but there are a few other things for the computer that don't affect the performance so I left it out. All the prices are reflected by when I bought the hardware, and I have no idea if they cost more or less now. The computer is also running Windows XP Pro (32bit).

Optimization
Alright, I won’t lie, I’m a bit tech savvy and as such I have a fairly good idea of what I was doing when I decided on this venture, but honestly none of this is hard and can be done by anyone so long as they have a slight clue of what they are doing. I myself learned a lot of this on the AH forums. My first goal was to optimize the computer so it would have more resources to put towards AH when I finally decided to run it. I was never a fan of ATI and when it came to GPUs(Graphics Processing Unit) that I would be using, I always picked Nvidia. I didn’t have that luxury this time and the first thing I went about doing was uninstalling CCC (Control Center Catalyst). For those of you who don’t know CCC is a software program for ATI GPUs that allows you to change different settings on it. Recently I had heard more and more that CCC was a resource hog and that a program called Tray Tools was the way to go. Knowing I would need all the processing power I could get I quickly uninstalled it and replaced it with Tray Tools. A quick Google search will get you the program. My next goal was to limit the amount of process’s running in the background as to free up more resources for the game. The easiest way I know to do this is to run “msconfig” and go to the Startup tab. There is no way to give a one answer solves all as every ones computer is different and requires different process’s and such to run it. What this does though is controls what your computer loads up when it boots, most programs do not need to be started immediately, but rather only when you actually decide to use them. The next thing I did is something that Skuzzy seems to have been preaching for years, and that was to turn the Hardware Sound Acceleration Level down to Standard (3/4). To do this you run “dxdiag” and go to the sound tab. There you will find a slider for it. After this I let a program called TuneUp Utilities do most of the work. They have a 30 day trial that should suffice in getting everything in order for anyone. And to finish it all off I did a HDD (Hard Drive Disc) defrag.

Overclocking
Haha I wish, not on this hardware.

Settings
Alright, now that everything was in order it was time to actually install AHII and play around with different settings to make it work. First thing was to adjust the Video Settings at the main screen. The only real notable things here are AA (Anti-Aliasing), Resolution, and Max Texture. Preparing for the worst, I knew the Max Texture would have to be 128 and AA would have to be set to none. I refused to play at anything but my native resolution for that monitor though so that stayed at 1440x900. Next was to adjust the Graphic Detail settings. This is a bit of trial and error for anyone but I finally decided on this. One thing I refused to do is turn off Detailed Terrain as that really effects how the game looks, so I worked around that the whole time.

Results
I’m actually surprised, and quite happy. With the current settings I was holding 30 – 50 fps with little to no stuttering what so ever which was completely playable for me. My main trouble was actually using the joystick downstairs as it’s completely different to what I’m used to. Obviously the game doesn’t look quite as great as it does on my own computer, but the difference is about 700$ so it’s no surprise. The game looks about on par with the old AH terrain IMO but I’ll let you decide.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 11:39:57 PM by AirFlyer »
Tours: Airflyer to 69 - 77 | Dustin57 92 - 100 | Spinnich 100 - ?
"You'll always get exactly what you deserve." Neil

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Re: Making a 300$ computer run AHII 2.14
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 11:54:02 PM »
Good post Airflyer.  I think over the next few days I'm going to try to get it to run on my old Dell (now 1.2 Ghz PIII, 768 Mb RAM and a 32 Mb AGP video card).  I'll post results after I give it a try.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 12:42:50 AM »
Good post Airflyer.  I think over the next few days I'm going to try to get it to run on my old Dell (now 1.2 Ghz PIII, 768 Mb RAM and a 32 Mb AGP video card).  I'll post results after I give it a try.

let us know how that goes Bald    :)
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Ruler2

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 12:48:53 AM »
I still don't get it,people are getting good FRs with PCs that mine surpasses,I have a PC with an Athlon 64 X2 5000+ 3.5GB of RAM and an 8800GTS and can't get an FR over 19 whenever I up a plane,I'm stuck in gvs with FRs of 25-32.  I used to be able to get GREAT FRs

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 12:55:57 AM »
I still don't get it,people are getting good FRs with PCs that mine surpasses,I have a PC with an Athlon 64 X2 5000+ 3.5GB of RAM and an 8800GTS and can't get an FR over 19 whenever I up a plane,I'm stuck in gvs with FRs of 25-32.  I used to be able to get GREAT FRs

Do you use Vista? Have you optimized your background processes for gaming?

I run all of those same settings pictured above except with the sliders near-max and 512 textures at about 50FPS on this setup. Just requires a bit of maintenance.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 01:00:12 AM »
He kinda made me want to test it on an old Dell Latitude D800 (Laptop), so while he was typing his up I decided to give it a go.

Dell Latitude D800:
 Intel Pentium M 1.8GHz
 512MB RAM
 GeForce Fx Go5200 32MB
 Windows XP 32-bit

I can run the game with up to 1024 Textures and Hi-Res pack, although it's pointless since I can't run Detailed Terrain.

Settings:
 512 Textures
 1280x800 Res.
 >Horizon on, Full Visual Range, Detail Full Slider, Distance Range 1/4 slider
 >Advanced: Bump Map ON  All other settings off

I get 35+ FR.  Now is it pretty?  No as much as my Desktop, but I could easily fly with this if I had to.

Also remember the minimum recommended Computer for this Game is:

1GHz Pentium 4 (Running a little higher then this states)
  512MB RAM (Running this on the line)
  DirectX 9 Compatible Video card with 64MB of VRAM.  (Running 1/2 of what this states)

Some may say it's impossible, or I'm lying, but I keep this Laptop So Clean and Well protected that there is no room for a slow down from anything else in the PC.  I use Aus-logic Cleanup and CCleaner to keep the junk files low to keep it running as best as it can.  I De-Frag after every Install, CCLean every week and run Virus/Ad/Spyware Tests every few days to make sure nothing got on.

As long as you can keep a computer running clean and well, it should do fine for just about anything ya need. :)
ID: Xcelsior
R.I.P. Fallen Friends & Family

"The only ones who should kill are those prepared to be killed"

Offline Ruler2

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 01:02:09 AM »
Yes I use vista,and my machine is SOMEWHAT geared toward gaming,I got the power settings all for performance,I HAD nvidia settings cranked all the way up for AH,I close extra processes,etc...  Before that setup worked fine,AH ran GREAT FRs at maxed settings,now I can't even get good frs with low settings

Offline 68Wooley

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2009, 05:18:07 AM »
Yes I use vista,and my machine is SOMEWHAT geared toward gaming,I got the power settings all for performance,I HAD nvidia settings cranked all the way up for AH,I close extra processes,etc...  Before that setup worked fine,AH ran GREAT FRs at maxed settings,now I can't even get good frs with low settings

What monitor resolution are you running at?

There's a huge difference between getting good frame rates running at 1280*1024 and doing the same at 1600*1050 or 1920*1200.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 05:20:30 AM by 68Wooley »

Offline capera

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2009, 05:52:46 AM »
Finally!!! A post that is approaching this upgrade in a productive manner.  :aok

Great posts and great information to help others.

You guys deserve a BIG salute.   

capera
99th Aggressor Squadron (Tactical Air Group)
Officer Commanding
"Promptus ad Vindictam - swift to avenge"

« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 05:58:50 AM by capera »

Offline macdp51

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2009, 08:56:02 AM »
Ran CC cleaner for windows and apps, lowered vid card to performance, not quality setting, defragged.
All processes off except 2 to run game.
Frame rate 16-20
Shutdown water (didn't like new water anyway)
Frame rate 24
Shut down terrain (bummer cuz its cool)
Frame rate 25-40 depending on what was in the area, the bigger the fight the slower the frame rate.
Nividia Ge Force 7300Le 512MB
Dell E520 machine
Going to try a few more things -suggestions appreciated - this is fustrating but I'm sure fix able.
Whats the best resolution?
Thanks
HP51

Offline Infidelz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2009, 10:41:06 AM »
maybe a sticky? at least for a month or so?

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2009, 10:54:59 AM »

That right there is a mistake on the new version.  Turn all those settings to application controlled.

Nice post AirFlyer.  Good job.

Ran CC cleaner for windows and apps, lowered vid card to performance, not quality setting, defragged.
All processes off except 2 to run game.
Frame rate 16-20
Shutdown water (didn't like new water anyway)
Frame rate 24
Shut down terrain (bummer cuz its cool)
Frame rate 25-40 depending on what was in the area, the bigger the fight the slower the frame rate.
Nividia Ge Force 7300Le 512MB
Dell E520 machine
Going to try a few more things -suggestions appreciated - this is fustrating but I'm sure fix able.
Whats the best resolution?
Thanks
HP51

7300LE is a very, very low end video card.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 10:57:47 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2009, 11:10:19 AM »
 :aok
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B

Offline Ruler2

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2009, 11:11:00 AM »
What monitor resolution are you running at?

There's a huge difference between getting good frame rates running at 1280*1024 and doing the same at 1600*1050 or 1920*1200.

I run at 1440X 900

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2009, 11:50:03 AM »
great thread :aok
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli