Author Topic: Killing tanks..The Vertical drop  (Read 775 times)

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
Killing tanks..The Vertical drop
« on: September 04, 2009, 12:23:17 PM »
Yesterday I saw a Tiger tank while in LWB. The problem was it was surrounded by a few WWs who looked like they knew what they were doing. What to do, what to do? I liked tasty Tigers but at the same time I play to win, AND, survive so no suicides for me. I didn't have any ords, only the 37mms of my IL2.

The NS-37 cannon is capable of penetrating 50mm of armor plate under optimum conditions. By "optimum" I mean point blank and no slope to the armor. Thats why T-34/85s are so hard to kill from the air. Their armor, or much of it, is sloped and its weak spots are fairly small. But were talking Tigers here, and our target is the top sections of the tank that only have 25mm armor plate to protect it. Tho I have never tried it the 23mm NS-23 cannon is also rated to penetrate 25mm at 400m. With the 37mm I have found 40mm penetration to be the more reliable figure. But the 23mm guns should also be capable of this.

Here are the aim points I use on Tigers. Thin spots of armor in grey.

No they aren't perfect but they have to be large enough for me to aim and place 2 to 6 shots into the top of the tank while diving down at a 90% angle with only a second or two to fire. Circling around the Tiger and WWs I gain Alt to about 3500', fly right over the Tiger, and go into a steep dive right into it. With zoom on all the way I line up the planes sights with slight alterations of my rudders. I have convergence set at 300, or at most 350, your able to get off about 6 rounds before you have to pull up and evade the WWs. I like to stay flat and use terrain for cover, keeping my speed up.

I have probably taken a dozen Tigers doing like this. Of course you cant have a whole lot of enemy cons around taking your high ground away. I found it works best on the one map with the on-going GV air battle at A1.

The downside is you might end up grass fodder if you aren't careful. But also there is no substitute for killing a tank, or any GV, while diving down straight into, 0% angle, their thinnest armor and while firing point blank. Because any kind of angle, or slope, lessens penetration. Thats why I tell tank guys they should park on a slight slope, and its the reason the T-34s are so hard to kill.

It will work against any tank thats being protected by WWs. I prefer this to dropping bombs, should the ords even be up. Ive picked off Tigers surrounded by 3 or 4 WWs and flak and lived to tell about it afterwards. Heres some other IL2 aim points for the other tanks. Hope this helps. :salute

I keep forgetting to shoot film when I do the vertical drop but next time I'll remember. :salute
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 12:26:10 PM by Rich46yo »
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Yenny

• Silver Member
Re: Killing tanks..The Vertical drop
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 05:35:05 PM »
Even now a day 2009, pretty much every tank in the world have a very weak top armor. Most anti tank missile are also top down attack.
E .· ` ' / ·. F
Your tears fuel me.
Noobing since tour 96
Ze LuftVhiners Alliance - 'Don't Focke Wulf Us!'

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 06:06:39 PM »
Even now a day 2009, pretty much every tank in the world have a very weak top armor. Most anti tank missile are also top down attack.

Pretty awsome aint it? Even smart tank shells come down on top.

I forgot to mention when I go into the vertical dive I keep speed up. Normally while Im wheeling around on top Im 150 to 200 mph in the IL2. When I dive I keep full throttle going. I ended up bug splat a few times getting the hang of it but its the only way to survive the flak, and, other tankers shooting at you.

Diving into 3 or 4 flak is not easy. A few times I got shot to pieces. :salute

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 10:15:20 PM »
The B-25H can exploit tanks' top armor too. 
Being twin-engined, you can use it to place hammerheads just so that you come down from them with your nose right near the target.  The best direction for reversal is to the left.  Selecting the left engine is done with "shift-1".  This film shows a few practice runs and then two actual runs on a Tiger (Hi Skuzzy). Turn on "Use recorded views".. In the practice runs (which are recommended - it's very easy to learn in ~5-10min) you can see the general procedure.  When vertical, you should be pegging the g-meter at zero, and smoothly pulling back on the #1 throttle while ruddering in concert. With just a bit of practice you can do these hammerheads without even sounding the stall horn.  It's a very smooth and continuous maneuver, no need to ham-hand anything. The biggest limitation is the airframe, especially if you're loaded with fuel and bombs.  Practice will also give you a good sense of the limited agility in pulling out.. It's very easy to underestimate (esp if you're coming from even a P-47's relatively nimble maneuvering) how much room the B-25 needs to maneuver. Ideally, you want to hit them from directly above, but you're allowed at least 25 degrees from the vertical on the turret:

Against the disadvantages of using a 25H instead of an Il2 - that is, the much lesser maneuverability and consequent vulnerability from air as well as from tank turret rounds if you're not careful - is the advantage of having to use just a single round per kill.  And then still having all that 50cal ammo.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2009, 02:34:02 AM »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2009, 09:41:48 AM »
i haven't tried killing them from the air.......but i was in a gv battle of sorts last night. at first it was me in a panzer vs 2 tigers. oxman kilt me many times. then kuhn joined me. in the meantime, i had switched to a tiger...the first time i have driven one. i thought they were tougher than they seem to be(at least with me driving em) as oxman once again was killing me from over 2k in single hits. imadot got me too. they also managed to kill kuhn's t34 in single hits.

was fun though. the only thing i regret, is that i forgot to run film.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2009, 03:56:33 PM »
Tiger is simply the best gun in the game. Im not exactly a tank ace but the times Ive driven Tigers they seem best on defense with IB tanks frontal to the big 88mm.

If we ever got the Panther I'll bet we would see very few Tigers. The Panthers were faster, more mobile, and had the almighty 75mm L/70 cannon. Along with sloping armor. The Panther was, IMHO, the best tank of the war. But it to had weak links on top and to the rear.

This extreme attack angle I take, however, is due to the presence of WWs/Ostis. I would prefer coming in at a shallower angle, and do so when no flak is present.