Author Topic: Eric Hartmann was a HO'er...  (Read 8219 times)

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
Eric Hartmann was a HO'er...
« on: September 12, 2009, 09:23:38 PM »
 :rofl  Just using the pointy stick to stir some natives...  :D

Excerpt from the last interview with Lufwaffe ace pilot Eric Hartmann:

I was in a duel with a Red Banner flown Yak-9,

and this guy was good, and absolutely insane. He tried and tried to get in

behind me, and every time he went to open fire I would jerk out of the way of

his rounds. Then he pulled up and rolled, and we approached each other head

on, firing, with no hits either way
. This happened two times. Finally I rolled

into a negative G dive, out of his line of sight, and rolled out to chase him at

full throttle. I came in from below in a shallow climb and flamed him.

Someone here said it was never done in real life...maybe Hartmann lied.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Re: Eric Hartmann was a HO'er...
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, 09:40:49 PM »
Whoever said it wasn't done in real life, didn't have a clue.

That being said, using it as an excuse for doing it in a cartoon game doesn't work either, as we don't risk dying.  We have nothing to lose by actually engaging in air combat.  No country will be destroyed, no civillians killed etc.

The second we only get one life and we're done playing AH afterwards forever, then you can use real life HO'ing as your justification.

Til then, it doesn't work for me :)

Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2009, 09:42:11 PM »

That being said, using it as an excuse for doing it in a cartoon game doesn't work either, as we don't risk dying.  We have nothing to lose by actually engaging in air combat.  No country will be destroyed, no civillians killed etc.

The second we only get one life and we're done playing AH afterwards forever, then you can use real life HO'ing as your justification.

well said Dan.  :aok

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2009, 10:04:52 PM »

QFT
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2009, 10:15:53 PM »
In AHII when both commit to a HO it  almost invariably results in two aircraft too damaged for further combat. This is why it is frowned upon. I think in real combat with no-icons and a fast closure rate and little time time to see, decide, and shoot, the hit% of such shots would be greatly reduced. Notice that no hits were scored on either HO pass, Hartmann actually killing the Yak driver after what sounds like an overshoot.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 11:16:48 PM by BnZs »
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline crazyivan

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2009, 10:56:02 PM »
The Hartmann in AH is also a Hoer in his  tater gun!  :D hehe Don't think he's on the bbs though. I kid I kid.

Didn't Hartman grow up in China hmmm? Anyway to have that many kills he must of been 1 good ho! :D
POTW
"Atleast I have chicken!"- Leroy Jenkins

Offline AirFlyer

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2009, 11:48:33 PM »
Tours: Airflyer to 69 - 77 | Dustin57 92 - 100 | Spinnich 100 - ?
"You'll always get exactly what you deserve." Neil

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2009, 12:00:16 AM »
Generally agree with Corkyjr, but I will HO any chance I get if I find myself in a 3-4+ on 1 with no real chance of surviving.  You know that at least one of them will oblige in their impatience to compete for the kill. :P
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Stixx

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2009, 12:23:37 AM »

+1
The three most common expressions (or famous last words) in military aviation are:'Did you feel that?' 'What's that noise?' and'Oh S...!'
-Authors Unknown-

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2009, 01:14:33 AM »
Didn't Hartman grow up in China hmmm? Anyway to have that many kills he must of been 1 good ho! :D

fail
now posting as SirNuke

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2009, 01:19:18 AM »
In AHII when both commit to a HO it  almost invariably results in two aircraft too damaged for further combat. This is why it is frowned upon. I think in real combat with no-icons and a fast closure rate and little time time to see, decide, and shoot, the hit% of such shots would be greatly reduced. Notice that no hits were scored on either HO pass, Hartmann actually killing the Yak driver after what sounds like an overshoot.

I remember reading somewhere that while it was done IRL. It wasnt exactly encouraged because to acheive guns solutions often resulted in the same undesirable results we often have here. A collision.

Probably why there are a whole lot more medals given post mortem  then to live ones.
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline batch

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2009, 01:24:42 AM »
no it wasnt encouraged............

but it was taught as a combat maneuver......... as it has been taught since the beginning of combat flight and is still taught in flight training to this day... even with our modern birds

what I find funny is someone was quick to point out that no damage was done on either HO pass...... but they still didnt recognize the fact that even Eric Hartmann couldnt avoid the HO TWICE
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 01:27:30 AM by batch »
"theres nothin like wakin up with a Dickens Cider" - Dickens Fruit Stand

Offline palef

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2009, 01:54:13 AM »
fail

Err yeah he did actually spend his early childhood in China. His Dad was a doctor and worked in Chengsha. They moved back to Germany in 1928 I think, because of the start of the Civil War between the Kuomintang and the Communists. Hartmann would have been 6 when they moved back to Germany.
Retired

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2009, 02:37:17 AM »
Err yeah he did actually spend his early childhood in China. His Dad was a doctor and worked in Chengsha. They moved back to Germany in 1928 I think, because of the start of the Civil War between the Kuomintang and the Communists. Hartmann would have been 6 when they moved back to Germany.

I was talking about the "joke"
now posting as SirNuke

Offline trotter

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2009, 02:57:07 AM »
I also am confused about the China "ho" joke. Not really funny whatsoever, unless there is some big inside laugh I am not invited to.

Guppy's quote represents the truth, no other comment necessary.