Author Topic: Stick Issues - CH vs. Saitek X52  (Read 1527 times)

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Re: Stick Issues - CH vs. Saitek X52
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2010, 06:46:47 AM »
Fianna if your doing that don't forget to set one for WWI planes while your at it. :)

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2010, 06:49:16 AM »
X36 game port - X36 usb, X45, X52

for the money it is the best bet imo.
 tried a ch fighterstick once, found it too easy almost floppy compared to the X52 stiffness

I do have ch pro peds and they are great
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline SKJohn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2010, 10:04:08 AM »
I use the CH Fighterstick with the Saitek X45 Throttle and rudder pedals.  The only problem is that I have to keep the old X45 stick on my desk because the USB cord for the throttle goes thru it to the computer.  I never had a problem with the X45, but after seeing pople rave about the CH sticks for years, wanted to try one and see if it was really better than the Saitek versions.  Found a good deal for one on Ebay, and liked it.  I have fairly large hands, so the CH stick actually fits my hand a little better than the Saitek.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2010, 02:40:42 PM »
I dont have large hands so the Fighter stick was a PITA to reach the hat, but I found a site that converts the 4 way Hat to 8, and now that it is set up like that it is awesome, way better the the X-52.

so any of you guys that have the fighter stick check this out, the only difference that I did was use a knife to trim out the hole, dremmel tool I think would be to easy to make the hole to big.  took me about 45 minutes to do, including the programming.
http://snomhf.exofire.net/8-WayHat.html

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2010, 05:44:35 PM »
Had the old X52 stick throttle & pedals. Decided to go CH to see what was better got the fighter stick & throttle & kept the X52 pedals. CH Is a better product IMHO. :aok

Offline Fianna40

• Zinc Member
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2010, 06:35:26 PM »
Fianna if your doing that don't forget to set one for WWI planes while your at it. :)

AN excellent idea. I've been learning to auger in Camels recently too :x

Any suggested setups?
"This is it chaps" - 'Paddy' Finucane

Offline froger

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2010, 01:55:38 AM »
INK, i saw the tutorial you posted and i am considering doing this as i have had my ch pro stik, throttle and pedals for about 6 months now and have finally committed to going through the painful proses of flying like a two weaker for the next month or so till i get my brain wrapped around the hand, eye and foot coordination and all the buttons.
   just a question though, is it not possible to just swap the switches from top to bottom? i haven't had the stick apart yet, today was the first day i have had it set up and yes, the reach is a bit awkward. i got creamed in the 3 hours i spent in the ma today.
i have used a 3d xtream pro for around 5 years now and i just burned the hat out on my last 1. I wanna make the ch gear work for me but at the moment it's a real stretch.

thanks for the tips sir

froger   

frogs are people too

Offline Buzzard7

• Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2010, 02:17:09 AM »
15 years and counting with my CH setup. Combatstick,throttle and pedals all analog gameport.
I replaced the pots in the stick once so far and will do it again shortly. The X axis is developing a deadspot in it.
I would go USB but I want to build a faster machine first.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2010, 03:06:32 PM »
INK, i saw the tutorial you posted and i am considering doing this as i have had my ch pro stik, throttle and pedals for about 6 months now and have finally committed to going through the painful proses of flying like a two weaker for the next month or so till i get my brain wrapped around the hand, eye and foot coordination and all the buttons.
   just a question though, is it not possible to just swap the switches from top to bottom? i haven't had the stick apart yet, today was the first day i have had it set up and yes, the reach is a bit awkward. i got creamed in the 3 hours i spent in the ma today.
i have used a 3d xtream pro for around 5 years now and i just burned the hat out on my last 1. I wanna make the ch gear work for me but at the moment it's a real stretch.

thanks for the tips sir

froger   

it is possible im sure just much more work, if your good at soldering and such, go for it. you will still have to ream out the bottom hole.

after flying with it like this it is not as smooth as the normal hat, but it is way more comfortable on the hand. :aok

Offline 68Hawk

• Silver Member
      • 68th Lightning Lancers
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2010, 09:05:27 AM »
I've had my x52 for probably 4 years now and I love it.  The profiling software is easy to use once you get the hang of it.  I like the button setup and the three hat switches.  The MFD functions are nice.  My only complaints are that the stick doesn't have as much tension as I'd like, and that the rotary axes don't work very well for trim controls.

There are a couple things I like ergonomically about saitek that CH doesn't have going for it.  On the throttle, I like the roll action instead of the straight slide.  I like the stick layout better on saitek too.  The rudder pedals from saitek work great (as long as you don't set them next to a surge protector) and they're spaced more comfortably apart than the CH pedals.  The brakes work well, and it makes ground ops a lot more fun. 

If I really wanted to upgrade from what I've got now I'd probably go to thrustmaster.  I'm a little curious about that new logitec, though I'm skeptical about the company.  Anyone heard any good things?
68th Lightning Lancers
Fear the reaper no more fear the Lancers!
http://www.68thlightninglancers.net

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2010, 09:12:50 AM »
The X52 looks flashy and all but the quality just isn't there. Spend the extra money, you'll be glad you did.  :salute
Lighten up Francis

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2010, 02:17:50 PM »
well I have been flying on my CH fighter stick, for awhile now,(about a month now) finally not hitting the wrong buttons, I will NEVER buy any thing but CH now.

saitek is junk compared.