Author Topic: Free stuff in AH  (Read 2539 times)

Offline muzik

• Silver Member
Free stuff in AH
« on: November 29, 2010, 10:40:23 PM »
More of a suggestion to help the game grow than a wish. The free WW1 arena suggested by AKWabbit is a great idea and I just wanted to add to it. Had this in mind for a long time and his post inspired me to throw this out there.

Indefinite free accounts should be available with access to certain aspects of the game. Like gunning from any air, ground, or sea manable guns.

This gives people access and experience in the game that 2 weeks is completely inadequate for and it is great publicity.

It gives paying players more freedom to do other tasks. Bomber dudes wont need to look hard to find someone to gun for them and will likely end up with a group of highly skilled gunners.

Also likely, all manable cv guns would be occupied while engaging enemy ships and bases instead of the often single 8inch turret trying to defend a cv.

Free players should also be allowed to operate vehicles or aircraft to deliver sups to players or bases. Anything that doesnt compromise the profitability of the game and adds to the experience should be open to free accounts. Which is exactly what these suggestions do because these activities are not what draw the paying customers.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 11:12:48 PM by muzik »
Fear? You bet your life...but that all leaves you as you reach combat. Then there's a sense of great excitement, a thrill you can't duplicate anywhere...it's actually fun. Yes, I think it is the most exciting fun in the world. — Lt. Col. Robert B. "Westy" Westbrook, USAAF 6/<--lol@mod

Offline Void

• Copper Member
Re: Free stuff in AH
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 10:49:48 PM »
Hum.. You do make a point... well thought out. But you still have to watch out for the kids that... Erhem hacks.
Didn't they close down the free arenas along time ago for that?( that's what I heard, correct me if I'm wrong )
And people like WARBEAST can play for free.
In Game name: Namco

Offline Melvin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 11:02:19 PM »
 :rofl :rofl WARBEAST!!

"Welcome to kill club"  :rofl :rofl

Interesting idea, but sometimes I like to just sit and relax with a brew in some manned gun somewhere. I guess I could just sit in the tower while some freeloader has all the fun. (I know, freeloader is a bit harsh just couldn't think of the right word.)

<S> Melvin
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 11:04:51 PM by Melvin »
See Rule #4

Offline muzik

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 11:10:48 PM »
F ME RUNNING!  Dammit, I forgot about WARYEAST!  Well, we'll just have to have a function that allows any free player to be, ejected or banned for even slight violations including just being annoying.

I dont know why they closed the 8 player, but how could that have prevented any kind of hacks?

Interesting idea, but sometimes I like to just sit and relax with a brew in some manned gun somewhere. I guess I could just sit in the tower while some freeloader has all the fun. (I know, freeloader is a bit harsh just couldn't think of the right word.)

<S> Melvin

I dont think that the population would reach epic proportions, so I think on that rare occassion when you feel the need, you can still find an open gun. Even if you can't I think the benefit outweighs the drawbacks.
Fear? You bet your life...but that all leaves you as you reach combat. Then there's a sense of great excitement, a thrill you can't duplicate anywhere...it's actually fun. Yes, I think it is the most exciting fun in the world. — Lt. Col. Robert B. "Westy" Westbrook, USAAF 6/<--lol@mod

Offline crazierthanu

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 11:12:09 PM »
F ME RUNNING!  Dammit, I forgot about WARYEAST!  Well, we'll just have to have a function that allows any free player to be, ejected or banned for even slight violations including just being annoying.

I dont know why they closed the 8 player, but how could that have prevented any kind of hacks?

I dont think that the population would reach epic proportions, so I think on that rare occassion when you feel the need, you can still find an open gun. Even if you can't I think the benefit outweighs the drawbacks.

I believe the arenas are coming back, for paying subscribers only of course. Ranger and some others have hinted at their devlopment.  :)
80th FS "Headhunters"
EhFex in-game.
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 11:23:22 PM »
I believe the arenas are coming back, for paying subscribers only of course. Ranger and some others have hinted at their devlopment.  :)

In that same vein, how many who played for free before decided to start paying before they had to?  And, how many did actually subscribe versus just not playing any more?

Two weeks isn't enough free time?

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 11:52:22 PM »
I actually like aspects of this idea but paying players should always be able to boot a free player from any position.  I do think it would draw subscribers.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 02:36:06 AM »
post deleted
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 02:39:59 AM by MachFly »
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline muzik

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2010, 02:46:32 AM »
In that same vein, how many who played for free before decided to start paying before they had to?  And, how many did actually subscribe versus just not playing any more?

I don't know for sure, but I bet all of those who were hooked on 8 player are still here! And my guess is, half of them eventually paid for it "before they had to.

Two weeks isn't enough free time?

No it's not. Most people jump into the game without even reading the instructions then spend two weeks used, abused, and confused, GUARANTEED! And many of them have never even played any kind of flight sims. If you see a smile on any of them after 2 weeks, you're looking at their butt crack!

How long have you played this game wrongway? And how much longer before youre any good?

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2010, 12:25:48 PM »
:rofl :rofl WARBEAST!!

"Welcome to kill club"  :rofl :rofl

<S> Melvin

It’s a legitimate concern.

I assume some mechanism could be arranged where a paying customer always usurps a Free-Player.
Maybe when a Free-Player is in a manned-gun position it actually shows as empty. 

If a Free-Player only has access to a “Volunteer” button (See “Free-Play For WWI Arena”) then its no problem.  The Server won’t try and put him in there if its filled by another Free-Player or a Paying-Player. 
If a Paying-Player tries to enter, he usurps the Free-Player and takes over.

I assume a similar mechanism is need for arena caps.  Maybe the arena login numbers look like:
“200/200(30)” 

Meaning the arena has reached its cap, but 30 of the players are Free-Players.  Another Free-Player cannot enter, but a Paying-Player can usurp and a Free-Player is booted to allow the Paying-Player in.

Regards,
Wab 

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Melvin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2010, 12:39:03 PM »
The thing with kickin free players outta position is this: Free guy sees a bunch of targets headed his way and starts drooling. "Oh boy, here they come!"

Then BAM, he's booted out.

How long would you stick around if this kept happening? Personally, I'd say screw it and play a different free game.

<S> Melvin
See Rule #4

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2010, 12:47:58 PM »
The thing with kickin free players outta position is this: Free guy sees a bunch of targets headed his way and starts drooling. "Oh boy, here they come!"

Then BAM, he's booted out.

How long would you stick around if this kept happening? Personally, I'd say screw it and play a different free game.

<S> Melvin

Perhaps, but I'm sure at the time he signs up for free play he is notified that he serves at the pleasure of the server and will be assigned, or reassigned as the needs of game-play and the paying customer base dictate.  

If he is getting to play for free but is so unreasonable to balk at that compromise, then I supect, that is one we could do without.  ;)

Or he could convert to Paying-Player.   :D

Regards,
Wab
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 01:02:40 PM by AKWabbit »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2010, 01:59:03 PM »
How long have you played this game wrongway? And how much longer before youre any good?

3-4 years?  Paid for all but 2 weeks too.   :neener:

And, I'll never be any good.   :cool:

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline FYB

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2010, 07:36:42 PM »
3-4 years?  Paid for all but 2 weeks too.   :neener:

And, I'll never be any good.   :cool:

wrongway

Crap, i couldn't get into a dogfight even if i tried. I get shot down before I'm within distance of engaging. That's why i bust open hangars, one run equals an entire base.  :devil
Most skill based sport? -
The sport of understanding women.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2010, 10:17:05 PM »
I just love the way you guys look for ways so HTC DOESN'T make money. This is a business to them, money coming in means money to pay the bills. Giving free spots, guns,transports and such isn't bring in money and is just opening the doors to more mischief. If it was me sitting in the big chair I'd be laughing my butt off at all of these "free" threads.