Author Topic: New GV Spawn Idea  (Read 769 times)

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
New GV Spawn Idea
« on: July 26, 2011, 10:28:32 AM »

I like GV-ing quite a bit, but am disapointed when the fight ends because the spawn is camped. The proposed spawn routine hopes to promotes continued spawning so GV engagements can remain fun and fruitful for both sides, while adding strategic value to defending tank positioning
I've made a series of pictures that explains the idea. And the text on the pictures explains the concept. and illusrates some examples and scenarios. 

Let's discuss  :aok

Thanks for your input,

Vinkman  :salute

Note: None of the new parameters are visible on the map. Players see only what is currently shown in AH. 

Who is John Galt?

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
Re: New GV Spawn Idea
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 10:49:41 AM »
Good idea.  The question is can the coding adjust and correct the anomaly of spawn camping.  Can the "coad" be made to do such a thing?

I think the best bet still is to FILL the spawn selection box in the hanger with spawn point options.  There could be a total of 8 different off base spawn points for gv's.  The lower left box doesnt mean it has to go SW (or upper right to NE, and so on), the spawn point can go anywhere.    

Space them out 2000 yards or so.  Easy peasy.  No special coding needed, it is already there.  
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 10:51:35 AM by SmokinLoon »
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 11:16:35 AM »
It looks decent, the only thing that springs to mind is how would it account for terrain?  On one hand, checking if there's a bush/building within a certain radius and spawning away from them is easy enough to code for, I could see a scenario where between the vehicles on hand and their spawn radii and the bushes and slopes in play a guy suddenly finds himself spawned 6k away.

It might require adjustments to the maps, but I don't think it's a bad idea at all.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 12:51:38 PM »
vinkman, well presented idea  :salute.

+1.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 03:05:47 PM »
Lets take Vinkman's idea 1 step further, I would even be willing to change the maps myself assuming this could be done - so here's a photo -

Assuming the base has 4 bases around him (or less as normally we see generally 1-2 Spawns in - we take vinkman's idea and throw 2 spawn locations in, generally one on the corner and one towards the N/E/S/W - This would eradicate the spawn camping due to fact you would need to split your ground forces up in a way that you can garentee if a line breaks in 1 location its to far to recover. Bad news is the base under attack - for example here our friendly base, would be in a world of hurt and require more people to defend it. Good news for tankers is it would require more people to tank to help defend. Tell me what ya think?

JG 52

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 03:09:43 PM »
Ok lets say HTC is Lazy, we could have it randomly spawn a GV into 3 locations, rather then 1 -

With this idea, you are pretty much garenteed to grab 1 of 3 spawns (with vinkman's idea) - ASSUMING the terrain permits.
JG 52

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 03:40:33 PM »
I have a suggestion or two:

Impliment a 'safe landing' area nearby the spawn. This could be represented with a group of tents representing Regimental HQ. It would take some re-working of the maps since you would have to have the landing area shielded from the base and other spawns (both to prevent concrete sitting and to protect against campers). You could have it tucked inside of a steep hill. This would prevent attempted caming from anywhere except along the opening leading to the HQ. Or perhaps have 17lbers and a few man-guns there to reperesent Regimental reserves.

Butcher, this would cause problems coordinating attacks. If you want to have a group of heavy tanks supporting the attack on the right flank, you will end up with them distributed evenly (theoreticly) across the three spawns. Since armor is best used en mass, due to the support they provide eachother, that could cause problems with concentration of your forces.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline prowl3r

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 11:02:46 PM »
vink i think ur on to somethin there. but to help the guys who dont have the perkies i think the ranges should be 2k radius and 4k box. :salute
in peace sons bury thier fathers, in war fathers bury thier sons

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 11:06:28 PM »
Why encourage camping, or semi-camping anyway?
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2011, 07:03:09 AM »
vink i think ur on to somethin there. but to help the guys who dont have the perkies i think the ranges should be 2k radius and 4k box. :salute

Thanks Prowlr  :salute  The distances and values should be tweaked to find optimum. This was just my first thought.
Who is John Galt?

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2011, 12:21:04 PM »
I agree with Vinkman that something should be done re spawn systems..............

If I may I have always liked the idea of "spawn roads"

In RL gv's travelled along roads and then deployed into open country side to attack / defend so I like the idea that they should still seem to travel down roads which on the terrain would be seen exactly as they do now.

Vehicles would always spawn to a road but not always in the same place and indeed the player spawning could choose roughly where he/she may spawn along a road.

Each road between two bases being divided into sections.

On the map the roads may look like this and they would be interactive with the mouse such that a double click over a section of road would spawn the gv player (from the tower)somewhere along that section of actual road in the terrain.

The road section(s) closest to an enemy base would not be available.
A player can only spawn along roads connected directly to his/her origin base.
A player returning to his/her origin section of road can "land safely"
If it is clear that one section of road in under ambush (camped) then players may choose another section of road and make progress to break the ambush.
Ludere Vincere

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2011, 12:32:17 PM »
I agree with Vinkman that something should be done re spawn systems..............

In RL gv's travelled along roads and then deployed into open country side to attack / defend so I like the idea that they should still seem to travel down roads which on the terrain would be seen exactly as they do now.

Vehicles would always spawn to a road but not always in the same place and indeed the player spawning could choose roughly where he/she may spawn along a road.

(Image removed from quote.)

On the map the roads may look like this and they would be interactive with the mouse such that a double click over a section of road would spawn the gv player (from the tower)somewhere along that section of actual road in the terrain.

If it is clear that one section of road in under ambush (camped) then players may choose another section of road and make progress to break the ambush.

I like this idea as well Tilt  :aok
Who is John Galt?

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2011, 12:44:32 PM »
I like GV-ing quite a bit, but am disapointed when the fight ends because the spawn is camped. The proposed spawn routine hopes to promotes continued spawning so GV engagements can remain fun and fruitful for both sides, while adding strategic value to defending tank positioning
I've made a series of pictures that explains the idea. And the text on the pictures explains the concept. and illusrates some examples and scenarios. 

Let's discuss  :aok

Thanks for your input,

Vinkman  :salute

I don't GV very often, but I must say that this is a well thought out wish.

+1

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2011, 01:19:46 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

This idea has merit.  Much easier to code as well, I'd bet.

Thing is though, simply filling out the spawn box in the hanger with options would be the easiest.
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Scotty55OEFVet

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2011, 09:01:17 PM »
My brain is overloaded with confusion and joy!!! +10 to all the ideas that can make GVing in AH more realistic. Especially like the idea of having roads to travel on. It is true that tanks and armored formations....unless there were abatis or some other AT obstacles blocking them, used roads and then deployed as the terrain would allow them. Would be cool and make the case for actual planning and use of tactics when lauching Ground Assaults. I remember when I was CO of 1st Special Service Force, when we lauched GV attacks we would actually use a variety of Armor and advance using tactis like Flanking and feints...good call!
"War can only be abolished through war...in order to get rid of the gun it is necessary to take up the gun."

RedDevil