Author Topic: Preventing Shade Accounts  (Read 4738 times)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Re: Preventing Shade Accounts
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2012, 02:03:57 PM »

No way!

It MUST be c*%ating.  :D

When I see a base, under attack and close to a capture, the first thing I look for is a goon or two or three.  This is before I even THINK about engaging attackers...

I spotted a goon over town as I approached the base. I was at about 5K and there were a lot of cons my alt or higher. I dove in to shoot the goon or it's passengers in town. The troops were running so I opened up on them. Got a few as the base did not immediately change hands. Was chased by no less than 20 cons on the deck. A few higher ones dove in to try to catch me. They ran me directly into 3 spread out goons just over the water. I was able to get 2 and almost the third before I succumbed to lead poisoning. I sat in the tower and watched the third fly over to town and get the capture.

That was fun. I was not even hunting goons but as the other defenders were down quick I had to look. Thanks to the help of the attackers, I was driven straight to them. :)
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2012, 02:08:23 PM »
I spotted a goon over town as I approached the base. I was at about 5K and there were a lot of cons my alt or higher. I dove in to shoot the goon or it's passengers in town. The troops were running so I opened up on them. Got a few as the base did not immediately change hands. Was chased by no less than 20 cons on the deck. A few higher ones dove in to try to catch me. They ran me directly into 3 spread out goons just over the water. I was able to get 2 and almost the third before I succumbed to lead poisoning. I sat in the tower and watched the third fly over to town and get the capture.

That was fun. I was not even hunting goons but as the other defenders were down quick I had to look. Thanks to the help of the attackers, I was driven straight to them. :)

Ch*%ter!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2012, 02:08:39 PM »
A small example from last night:

Looking at the map I saw A107 had all it's hangars shut down, two(?) small moving dots indicated high buffs. At the same time suddenly a huge red darbar appeared in the sector. NOE! Apparently a clever double prong attack with a combination of very high and low elements.
I jumped into a262 and raced on the deck from A122 to A107, with the intention to hunt down the goons, all the while yelling ALERT on country channel

Now the closest rook base was A93, and all other rook bases had also been to the north and north east. The town was located to the west of the base, but very close to it. But the most important geographical feature: A big stretch of mountains, shielding base&town to the north.
So a goon would have a hard time to get to the town directly from N (would have to climb over the mountain), even more so from E (would have to cross the base), and from SE too (way too likely to run into enemy fighters coming from Knight bases 122 & 121).

So the most probable line of approach was the one I have marked in red - more or less. That was the area I started to patrol after reaching the town, and when I saw more support arriving near base/town, I quickly increased my search radius to cover some more "unlikely spots".
Such a huge, well planned mission has invariably more than one goon in it, and goons arriving early tend to sit somewhere on the ground - mostly near the shoreline, hilly terrain is avoided for obvious  reasons.

End of the story: Four goons died to my guns in this sortie, all along the route I marked above.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2012, 02:12:11 PM »
I have a suggestion! For all those people who made fun of "Pand's" honest question, report back to your 7th grade teacher for further instructions!
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2012, 02:14:58 PM »
A player aptly named "Putz" accused me last tour of using a shade account after I had shot down his C-47 about 3-4 times as he was trying to sneak into one of our Knight bases for the capture.  He was flying NOE, probably between 30-50ft off the deck (not showing on dar or making base flash) but he made one simple mistake, he got to high on take off and briefly showed a 'dar bar in his base sector.

Seeing the 'dar bar appear briefly, I knew a plane was taking off and I at first expected it to be a bomber to take out the FHs or other hangers so I flew towards his base.  Since the distance between bases was rather short, I knew if it was bombers that they wouldn't be higher than 10k and would fly a direct line to our base so I flew my search pattern with this in mind.  One thing was helping me, it was dawn and the sun was just starting to peak over the horizon, which does a great job of highlighting moving objects that are close to the water.  I spot a dot some distance away on the deck so I fly in that direction and as I get near I think it's a lone bomber trying to make it's way NOE and its not until I get within icon range that I see it's a C-47.  I dive and make my attack, kill it and then climb back up to 10k and resume my patrol in the area because I know Putz will be back.  Sure enough, a few minutes later I see the dot on the deck again using the same course and direction as his previous flight.  I dive again, shoot him down and resume my patrol.  This happened 3-4 times and after the final shoot down, Putz accuses me of using a shade account to .wingman his location and shoot down his C-47.  All I did was use my experience, the info that was available to me on the clipboard map and some common sense but yet I've been branded as a cheater that uses a shade account when I never used a shade nor have a 2nd account.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2012, 02:15:16 PM »
Would it be possible for people to share a LOT of legitimate reasons?  

The only legitimate reason I can think of is 2+ people (roommates or family) in the same house playing the game and on the same country.  

A non-standard situation would be those same people; however, they are not on the same country, and are not interested in flying together.  Showing basic consideration for the other players of aces high, they would not share their country information with the other player.

Well, that's about what I had in mind with "a lot".  :D

I know there is quite a good numbers of dads & sons having separate accounts (but which are all billed to dad's card) on the same IP. I think they may fly quite often in different squads/countries, as it's not always "cool" to hang around with the parents. Same goes fro brothers or other players simply living in the same house.
Back when I was a trainer, I know there was at least one of my more 'popular' colleagues having a genuine "shade" account to be able to fly a few sorties in the LW MA in peace.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2012, 02:16:08 PM »
I have a suggestion! For all those people who made fun of "Pand's" honest question, report back to your 7th grade teacher for further instructions!

we not making fun of his question.  we making fun of his insistence that most goons are killed by spies  :salute.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2012, 02:20:34 PM »
Earl,

Questions or allegations?  Let's be clear on what is what.  That is all, Sister Mary Elephant.  ;)

"Class.... class......... class.........    SHUT!! UUUUUUUP!!!!!     thank you" 

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2012, 02:22:42 PM »

Well, that's about what I had in mind with "a lot".  :D

I know there is quite a good numbers of dads & sons having separate accounts (but which are all billed to dad's card) on the same IP. I think they may fly quite often in different squads/countries, as it's not always "cool" to hang around with the parents. Same goes fro brothers or other players simply living in the same house.
Back when I was a trainer, I know there was at least one of my more 'popular' colleagues having a genuine "shade" account to be able to fly a few sorties in the LW MA in peace.

Have 2 squadies that have grand kids, which share their account - recently one of them bought his grandson his own account - however given the age and respect of the member, I know for a fact he isn't one to use it for mischief reasons.

Not everyone uses "shades" to evil purposes, attempting to ban them is frankly a stupid idea - however I don't mind active humiliation to someone caught killing his own shade account, thus however is done quietly by Skuzzy/HTC.

JG 52

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2012, 02:23:41 PM »
Earl,

Questions or allegations?  Let's be clear on what is what.  That is all, Sister Mary Elephant.  ;)

"Class.... class......... class.........    SHUT!! UUUUUUUP!!!!!     thank you" 

I have that album.... in vinyl of course. :D
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2012, 02:23:41 PM »
had a guy on country ch last night ranting about a CV being located by a shade then sunk.

it was about 5 miles from its spawn point at its own port. there were at least 4 red dots in its radar ring 5 mins earlier when it spawned.

:rolleyes:

It's just a moron's reflex, parroted by countless others on country channel. Have seen that countless times: Frienldy high alt bombers on the way home cross the ocean and are being followed by enemy fighter. They go near friendly CV, puffy shows up around the fighter.
15 minutes later he's back in bombers to sink our CV, which will invariably result of "SPIEZ!" yells on country channel. It doesn't matter if I explain to them what happened before that, the next time they will follow the same reflex.

Let's face it: People hate to think but love to come to quick conclusions about a situation they just noticed this very moment.  :rolleyes:

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2012, 02:27:58 PM »
I have that album.... in vinyl of course. :D

Is there any other format for an Album?   :rock

CD has nothing on a cherry vinyl stamping  :aok

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2012, 02:43:51 PM »
In my opinion, a shade account is (someone correct me if I'm wrong):

1.  An additional account that is logged in simultaneously with a person's main account, but logged into another country, to find out locations and positions of missions/goons/people on the enemy side.

2.  An additional account that is logged in simultaneously with a person's main account, but logged into another country, and is killed repeatedly by the main account to increase score / acquire perks.

My problem with it is inherently obvious.

Now, that your definition doesn't fit the most prevalent reasons for multiple accounts by a single user, may we assume that your entire premise may be falling short?  That being that HTC needs to allocate resources to prevent new accounts from being created by current account holders, or as you would have it termed "cheaters".

Indeed player conduct will be an issue in any online game.  HTC does a great job and has a low tolerance for any issue that may adversely affect their game play.  I believe that issues of lag, armor exploits, and damage glitches are far more prevalent and nuisances than any of what you are reporting.

Shuffler, "now ain't that a peach?"   :rofl

Offline Pand

• Silver Member
      • Pand's Fighter Wing
« Reply #58 on: January 09, 2012, 03:24:02 PM »
Now, that your definition doesn't fit the most prevalent reasons for multiple accounts by a single user, may we assume that your entire premise may be falling short?  That being that HTC needs to allocate resources to prevent new accounts from being created by current account holders, or as you would have it termed "cheaters".

Lets take it back to my original post:
I don't have the answer; however, I am looking for some suggestions from the community to HiTech on how to prevent them.

HTC does a fine job of preventing front end modification and cheating, etc ---- I'm asking the community for their suggestions on how to prevent this different form of cheating (when used in that fashion).

Regards,

Pandemonium
"HORDE not HOARD. Unless someone has a dragon sitting on top of a bunch of La7s somewhere." -80hd

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2012, 03:34:29 PM »
Lets take it back to my original post:
HTC does a fine job of preventing front end modification and cheating, etc ---- I'm asking the community for their suggestions on how to prevent this different form of cheating (when used in that fashion).

Perhaps a swift kick in the nuts, youtubed for our entertainment?

It is fairly rare as it is and HTC has a pretty good handle on their sandbox.

Otherwise, I would rather they expend their resources on developing the game, not babysitting sweetheartbags all day long.

It IS after all, only a game...