Author Topic: Preventing Shade Accounts  (Read 4686 times)

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
Re: Preventing Shade Accounts
« Reply #75 on: January 09, 2012, 10:57:58 PM »
Which would be the ones being discussed here, would it not? 

What is there to argue, if its for the wrong reasons the account should be banned, which I am quite sure Skuzzy does it quietly. That or just hits the person in the face with a wiffle ball bat, because that would be funny.
JG 52

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #76 on: January 10, 2012, 02:43:42 AM »
I'm not intending to be snotty but....has anybody ever considered that having the occasional spy might be a little more realistic then the perfect symmetry in weapons and information that the game provides?  Remember Enigma, The Battle of the Beams, and the totally compromised Japanese codes.  It seems to me if you looked at it the right way, the every once in a long while instance of spying might be seen as a little bit of the fog of war that devours the best laid plans once combat starts.  Please no personal attacks.
Pies not kicks.

Offline EVZ

• Nickel Member
« Reply #77 on: January 10, 2012, 02:55:59 AM »
has anybody ever considered that having the occasional spy might be a little more realistic then the perfect symmetry in weapons and information that the game provides? 
Yeah ...  But then WE should have those FIRING SQUADS I've mentioned previously...

Please no personal attacks.
As if anyone here would do that ...
:confused:
I am my Ideal ! - You may now return to your petty bickering.

Offline chipr

• Zinc Member
« Reply #78 on: January 10, 2012, 03:31:23 AM »
I can understand having 2 accounts for 2 different countries and the line is drawn so that no commingling is done, that is just fine.   But what gets me is when people have a shade account and use it for the own gain.  I've heard it on vox outright someone saying that is how they find out where the NOE missions are going, or where the next gathering of the horde is taking place.  That, is just wrong.  It is called cheating.

FWIW... I believe HTC has tied in IP numbers so that a person cant keep making new shade accounts over and over on their lap top.  Not sure though.

Although I don't spy, whats the problem with it? Ever heard of a double agent?
With malice towards some

Offline chipr

• Zinc Member
« Reply #79 on: January 10, 2012, 03:32:40 AM »
Hmm...  I think I may have a solution for this.  Bear with me, the procedure may be slightly invasive, but I believe it is worth it to halt the cheating.

We start with the account sign-in process.  Each user will be fingerprinted, a DNA sample will be taken, and a retinal and face scan will be taken.  All that will be required is that you show up at HTC's office in Grapevine for processing.  Typical processing time should only be on the order of 1 to 2 hours.

At this time, you will be able to purchase the specially modified flight controls of your choice, be it Saitek, CH products, Logitech, or Thrustmaster at first, with other manufacturers to be added in based on demand.  The specially modified flight controls will contain fingerprint and other biometric sensors which will positively identify you before you may log into the game.  You will also be issued a 'gaming pod' which will be a ten foot diameter sphere composed of metal and carbon fiber which will act as both an electromagnetic shield to prevent people using portable electronic devices to cheat and a visual shield so people cannot see your display from any angle.

The game pod will have a time delay so that once you enter it, you will not be able to log into the game for 90 minutes to strike a balance between any previous information you may have had before entering the pod is dated, and playability.

The system will also come with a series of  that will send a continuous 360 degree video stream of you at your PC back to HTC.  These cameras will monitor your actions.  Microphones will also be active to detect possible auditory clues to other countries' gameplay such as someone else yelling from another room, morse code being tapped on the wall, or several other possibilities we're not going to discuss to make it more difficult for the cheaters.

The cameras will also monitor your presence at your PC.  Should you exit your game pod for any reason, your account will be immediately logged out and you will be unable to log in for the next 12 hours to ensure that you cannot take advantage of any information you might glean from other sources such as forum boards, telephones, texting, or morse code coming from your neighbors.

Randomly timed DNA samples will be taken by the controllers to add another layer of security to the biometric system and ensure that you have not somehow defeated the other measures, and gotten plastic surgery to defeat the facial recognition system.

Of course, a slot will be available for others to pass you food and beverages in your pod, and there will be lavatory fittings as well.  All items passing into and out of the pod will be thoroughly screened by x-ray, video, and sonic scan to ensure no information is being passed either into or out of the pod.

At a cost of a mere $40,000, is it not worth it to be able to play the game without having to worry about cheaters?

Wiley.

Overkill, dude. Sarcasm should be kept to a 1 sentence maximum
With malice towards some

Offline chipr

• Zinc Member
« Reply #80 on: January 10, 2012, 03:35:19 AM »
There are two areas I would like to identify that have irritated me on this thread:

1.  While not coming out and specifically saying it, many people that have posted here are defending the use of shade accounts and endorsing cheating in-game.  Basically, by implying nothing needs to be done about this, they are saying it is OK and that cheating is not an issue.

2.  I have tried to post what I believe is a serious topic and concern about many people's enjoyment of the game.  The non-stop jokes, smiley faces, useless posts, and stupid pictures infect almost every thread on the forum like a virus, taking away from the original purpose of each topic.  Just like a squelch in AH, another wishlist item would be to have a squelch preference in the Forum, effectively hiding all posts from the user(s) identified, as 98% of everything they post is unproductive trash.  Hi-tech has created a forum called "The O'Club," specifically identified for this purpose.   I can only ask that everyone keep that behavior where it belongs.

With this post, I am not looking for a response to number 2, just looking for everyone to read, acknowledge, and think about the basic consideration of others.

Wow.  :cry
With malice towards some

Offline chipr

• Zinc Member
« Reply #81 on: January 10, 2012, 03:39:19 AM »
Then where do you suggest we discuss this topic then? I'm in agreement 100% with Pand. This is the 'Wish List', and I also wish to see the cheating stopped. It might not be possible to correct this issue, but I'm sure as hell tired of flying a goon NOE for 5 sectors and land on a spot that no one would ever think of, only to have the same guy up from a no where base and come straight to me hiding on a beach in my goon and kill me! Yes, it's possible for this to happen the odd time, but every time it's the same thing with the same 2 or 3 guys from the same squad, most of the time in a 262.

Try not landing on the beach. You might wanna keep that plane in the air. And Ive never heard of a plane landing on a beach just to take off from it without any damage to begin with during the war in RL.
With malice towards some

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #82 on: January 10, 2012, 03:57:08 AM »
So, there are many kinds of 'shades'. There is the two account shade and there is the 'player changed his name shade'.

First off, as pointed out before, one does not need 'shade with two accounts' to tell where the enemy is, the map is quite useful. Frankly, any time a mission gets busted up, people cry 'cheater'. Its funny how it never crosses their mind that maybe, they were spotted on the map, or by a player who happened to be there, etc...

Second, I don't support cheating, almost all cheating claims are BS. That being said, the game is about combat, not cowering away trying to avoid fights and crying when a fight finds you. If this is in response to the usual reason, "My mission got busted, they must have been cheating, nonsense", well, tough it up kid, its a combat game.
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #83 on: January 10, 2012, 05:31:03 AM »

8- Complaints about a player's behavior online should be emailed to support@hitechcreations.com rather than posted to this board.

I don't have the answer; however, I am looking for some suggestions from the community to HiTech on how to prevent them.

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #84 on: January 10, 2012, 06:23:30 AM »
If you want to see it in writing? Ask Skuzzy ... I think it comes under his hat. I think AH strives to be flexible, I know of at least one father & son combo that ASKED before opening a second account with duplicate specs and were told, that it was not normally allowed but that their request was a reasonable exception.
:)

To my knowledge that never happened.  Anyone is free to open multiple accounts.  I know of many families who play the game together.  Sometimes they play against each other, other times they work together.  It's all good.

People that abuse multiple accounts by griefing others, or padding thier score, or perk farming are not welcome.

However, that is really rare, especially since we added the 'who killed who' to the stats.  Most of what I see here is all about being paranoid or about avoiding a fight.  As several have eluded, it is pretty easy to spot anyone on the clipboard map, if you know what to look for.

The game is designed to encourage combat, not hide from it.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #85 on: January 10, 2012, 06:55:45 AM »
Hmm...  I think I may have a solution for this.  Bear with me, the procedure may be slightly invasive, but I believe it is worth it to halt the cheating.

We start with the account sign-in process.  Each user will be fingerprinted, a DNA sample will be taken, and a retinal and face scan will be taken. 
<SNIP>

You want a sample of my DNA?

:t
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline AKP

• Silver Member
« Reply #86 on: January 10, 2012, 06:57:17 AM »

***G3-MF***

Offline FLOTSOM

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/prfctstrngr
« Reply #87 on: January 10, 2012, 08:11:30 AM »

now there a quote worth putting in my sig line!
FLOTSOM

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!
Quote from Skuzzy
"The game is designed to encourage combat, not hide from it."
http://www.myspace.com/prfctstrngr

Offline Pand

• Silver Member
      • Pand's Fighter Wing
« Reply #88 on: January 10, 2012, 08:25:08 AM »
To my knowledge that never happened.  Anyone is free to open multiple accounts.  I know of many families who play the game together.  Sometimes they play against each other, other times they work together.  It's all good.

People that abuse multiple accounts by griefing others, or padding thier score, or perk farming are not welcome.

However, that is really rare, especially since we added the 'who killed who' to the stats.  Most of what I see here is all about being paranoid or about avoiding a fight.  As several have eluded, it is pretty easy to spot anyone on the clipboard map, if you know what to look for.

Skuzzy, I appreciate your response!  I want to be very clear on this and ask for confirmation regarding the following sentence, and I think we can all put this issue to bed. Feel free to lock the topic after your response.

It is not against HTC's policy in any way to have two accounts on different countries, one being used for 'informational' purposes, as long as it is not used to pad score or perk farm (I am assuming that using the additional account for 'informational' purposes only would not be considered 'griefing' others).

Regards,

Pandemonium
"HORDE not HOARD. Unless someone has a dragon sitting on top of a bunch of La7s somewhere." -80hd

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #89 on: January 10, 2012, 09:07:04 AM »
Skuzzy, I appreciate your response!  I want to be very clear on this and ask for confirmation regarding the following sentence, and I think we can all put this issue to bed. Feel free to lock the topic after your response.

It is not against HTC's policy in any way to have two accounts on different countries, one being used for 'informational' purposes, as long as it is not used to pad score or perk farm (I am assuming that using the additional account for 'informational' purposes only would not be considered 'griefing' others).

You did not find the following clear enough?

To my knowledge that never happened.  Anyone is free to open multiple accounts.  I know of many families who play the game together.  Sometimes they play against each other, other times they work together.  It's all good.

However, that is really rare, especially since we added the 'who killed who' to the stats.  Most of what I see here is all about being paranoid or about avoiding a fight.  As several have eluded, it is pretty easy to spot anyone on the clipboard map, if you know what to look for.

<borderline dickitude-ish statement removed intentionally at the wise urging of PfactorDave>

It is obvious that you are trying to back the staff or another player into a corner about the rules.  Your tactics are completely transparent.  You are mining for a hard and fast answer about how far the rules can be bent before they are broken so you can shove it up someone's arse when you see them go too far.  You saw something you didn't like and instead of filming it and sending it in, like you are supposed to do, you are here to whine about it.

Do you mean to tell me that after 10 years you haven't figured the rules, yet?

Play nice, don't be a dick and report cheating to the staff.  Pretty damn simple.

It is only a game, do you have nothing else in life the requires the serious attention that you devote to your concerns, time and attention to?  If not, I have plenty of toejam at my house that I will hire you to come do while I'm at work...
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 09:52:37 AM by VonMessa »
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.