Author Topic: Free to Play First Person Shooter.......  (Read 5094 times)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: Free to Play First Person Shooter.......
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2013, 08:47:51 PM »
Then those games will die, no?

Not all of them.  F2P isn't the end all of end all business models for MMO's and not suited for all types of games.  

ack-ack

« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 08:59:13 PM by Ack-Ack »
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2013, 08:53:17 PM »
By the time HTC decides to move on the f2p wave, its going to be too late.

The world of gaming moves much faster then it used to.

HTC better get moving, it's obvious that after 13 years of running the SAME game that it can't possibly last !  :rolleyes:

Offline Torquila

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2013, 08:59:03 PM »
I don't know guys, its a confusing world of MMO's out there today. Most of the old subscription games are gone or depopulated to the point of death and this is one of the few ones left with a bit of activity.

One of the upside of the older games is the lower hosting requirements for running them, I would guess.

Offline Fish42

• AvA Staff Member
  • Silver Member

Offline Torquila

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2013, 09:22:43 PM »
HTC better get moving, it's obvious that after 13 years of running the SAME game that it can't possibly last !  :rolleyes:

I guess its probably too late actually, now that I think of it. Aces High can never really go free to play, I don't buy the whole type of game arguement; but I do know its certainly too much of a dinosaur to compete with modern f2p expectations at the least.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2013, 09:25:10 PM »
I guess its probably too late actually, now that I think of it. Aces High can never really go free to play, I don't buy the whole type of game arguement; but I do know its certainly too much of a dinosaur to compete with modern f2p expectations at the least.

It's not that AH is a dinosaur unable to compete with modern F2P business model, it's the person wishing that doesn't really know the dynamics involved with a F2P business model or any other business model used by MMO games.

ack-ack

Offline Torquila

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2013, 09:37:28 PM »
Well part of that f2p business model seems to be instanced based systems with a non-persistant worlds; which would mean that AH is a dinosaur in comparison to these speedy new creatures...

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2013, 12:53:10 AM »
You're assuming it needs to evolve though.  A sandbox game is significantly different from a round based game like WoT or WT.  They're completely different, and some people like myself don't particularly enjoy the instance-based gameplay.

It's not inevitable that everything wind up at that destination.  AH has been a niche game from day 1.  That's just how it is.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2013, 10:14:38 AM »
Well part of that f2p business model seems to be instanced based systems with a non-persistant worlds; which would mean that AH is a dinosaur in comparison to these speedy new creatures...

Why do you in any way think that  instancing and speed have anything to do with each other.
WOT entire world is less then 1 square mile. And has a fog visibility distance of less the 1000 yards.

If you equate this to AH , you would not be able to see the end of a runway on takeoff.

AH map sizes are over 250,000 square miles with a visibility distance of about 18 miles.

Now this does not mean one approach is better then the other, but what it shows is that different game goals create different coding design decisions.

HiTech

Offline Torquila

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2013, 10:26:00 AM »
I did not mean dinosaur in a derogatory fashion, just in size and stature;as you pointed out.

Offline muzik

• Silver Member
« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2013, 09:42:51 PM »
Why do so many new guys these days try to talk HTC into resurrecting some version of the old "free play" HtH but, in the MA that we pay to access? It's always under the canard that they are personaly concerned for the future of this game. Ultimatly the sales pitch is to convince HTC they won't survive the new generation of gamers if they don't tease them in the door with free access play in the "for pay" arenas.

Because it makes good business sense. I don't know about his particular idea, but FREE works. huge major corporations spend BILLIONS a year luring in customers with free stuff. But it takes a commitment and probably a lot of initial headache to make it work. And of course the right approach to begin.
Fear? You bet your life...but that all leaves you as you reach combat. Then there's a sense of great excitement, a thrill you can't duplicate anywhere...it's actually fun. Yes, I think it is the most exciting fun in the world. — Lt. Col. Robert B. "Westy" Westbrook, USAAF 6/<--lol@mod

Offline tuton25

• Nickel Member
« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2013, 09:44:32 PM »
The point of F2P is to populate the arena with infantry because, inadvertently, the initial phases of the FPS will be rather basic (A rifle, pistol, maybe granades) and I don't think alot of the hardcore FPS fans would buy into that initially. With time I think many would enjoy the full combat style system envolving teamwork between infantry, armour, and airpower and supscribe for full features.....
><))))*> Da Fish is in Da Fight

Offline skorpx1

• Silver Member
« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2013, 09:45:20 PM »
HTC better get moving, it's obvious that after 13 years of running the SAME game that it can't possibly last !  :rolleyes:

It's only lasted so long because its original. Give me a list of 10 other games that are nearly like this game in terms of flight and combat.

I could name at least 20 different FPS games. Those will eventually wear out, CoD will fail and Halo will eventually fall too. Those games are just the same thing, different looks. Point, shoot, kill, die, respawn.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #58 on: January 09, 2013, 10:03:30 PM »
The one thing people advocating a F2P business model is that they really don't know that a F2P game isn't really free.  For example, if HiTech would go the F2P route, you can be sure that they will only give you the base planes for free (planes like the Spitfire Mk IX, P-51D, FW190D-9, etc.) while charging you if you want to fly the top tier planes like the La7, Spitfire Mk XVI and the monetization probably wouldn't stop there.  Want to carry 1,000 pound bombs on your Mustang?  Sure, pony up some money to buy or rent (for a tour) for the ability to lug 1,000 bombs.  Want a new map? Sure, pony up some more money.  Want to drive tanks?  Pony up some more money to buy or rent them.  You would probably end up paying more in a F2P game then you would for a subscription based game.

There is a reason why the majority of F2P games released fail within the first year.

ack-ack

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2013, 10:53:47 PM »
In addition to the fact that his suggestion wouldn't have the intended effect, and would require a massive overhaul of the game to make it work to HTCs standards, I question the basic assumption that we WANT a bunch of annoying, inept FPS tards in the game, even as cannon fodder.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"