Author Topic: collisions  (Read 2607 times)

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
collisions
« on: January 08, 2013, 06:19:18 PM »
Really want a collision model that kills both and no one gets a kill.

Getting rammed and watching your opponent fly away undamaged is probably the most unrealistic model in the game.
Being male, an accident of birth. Being a man, a matter of age. Being a gentleman, a matter of choice.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: collisions
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 06:27:16 PM »
Invent a new type of internet connection that totally eliminates lag and you will get you wish fulfilled.

Unless then, there is no way to make it happen without making things much worse.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 06:44:32 PM »

Getting rammed and watching your opponent fly away undamaged is probably the most unrealistic model in the game.

How do you know the other guy was undamaged?  The answer is you really don't know.  Also, it's also clear that you don't understand how the collision model works, if you did then you really wouldn't want the collision model you're wishing for.

ack-ack
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 06:55:13 PM by Ack-Ack »
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 06:51:16 PM »
As Lusche and Ack-Ack said, until you understand how and why the collision model works as it does you are really not in a position to makes requests about it.

We would all like an Internet that allowed computers to communicate instantly and with no delays, but sadly that is impossible to achieve with current scientific and engineering knowledge.

Until that time, likely never to happen, what you see is what you get is the best that can be done.  Hence the guy who you see a collision with and take damage from is not damaged as his system saw a 25 yard gap between the two of you at the nearest approach.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline RedBull1

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 07:02:55 PM »
I am curious...(slightly off topic, but still lag/collisions) I play World of Tanks as well, and I've been told the reason we cannot have collisions in tanks in AH is because of internet lag as well... well...how does World of Tanks do it then??? Collisions are always fair, and obviously hitting each other, with heavier tank usually disabling the smaller tank or something, etc. So why can't we?

I'm not saying 'aaarg, they're so much better blah blah blah' I'm just curious how they do it when we can't  :headscratch:

:salute
"There is absolutely no point discussing anything on the BBS, it's mostly populated by people who are right about everything, no one listens and everyone is just talking. People will argue over the shape of an egg." -Anonymous

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 07:27:08 PM »
I am curious...(slightly off topic, but still lag/collisions) I play World of Tanks as well, and I've been told the reason we cannot have collisions in tanks in AH is because of internet lag as well... well...how does World of Tanks do it then??? Collisions are always fair, and obviously hitting each other, with heavier tank usually disabling the smaller tank or something, etc. So why can't we?

I'm not saying 'aaarg, they're so much better blah blah blah' I'm just curious how they do it when we can't  :headscratch:

in a recent thread

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,343172.msg4534944.html#msg4534944

Quote from: hitech

WOT entire world is less then 1 square mile. And has a fog visibility distance of less the 1000 yards.

If you equate this to AH , you would not be able to see the end of a runway on takeoff.

AH map sizes are over 250,000 square miles with a visibility distance of about 18 miles.

i'd also think tanks move considerably slower than planes plays into it.
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline RedBull1

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 07:30:57 PM »
in a recent thread

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,343172.msg4534944.html#msg4534944

i'd also think tanks move considerably slower than planes plays into it.

Ah, I figured it might have something to do with that, thanks  :aok

"There is absolutely no point discussing anything on the BBS, it's mostly populated by people who are right about everything, no one listens and everyone is just talking. People will argue over the shape of an egg." -Anonymous

Offline katanaso

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 07:39:14 PM »
Would there be a downside to having collisions occur only if both front ends see a collision?  If so, what would it be?

I understand how it works. :)
mir
80th FS "Headhunters"

The most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 07:46:54 PM »
Would there be a downside to having collisions occur only if both front ends see a collision?  If so, what would it be?

I understand how it works. :)

Yes, there would be. Unlike the current model, players with a higher lag would profit from it as they would have a much lower probability to be in a collision at all.

To illustrate (with numbers made up on the fly, just to show the principle)

Player A: Ping/Lag 30
Player B: Ping/Lag 30
Player C: Ping/Lag 300

Player A and Player B are about to collide. Total lag is very small, so collision is seen on both FE's - CRASH
Player A and Player C are about to collide. Total lag is quite high, so collision is NOT seen on both FE's - wuuush, no crash

Player A and B have a high chance of being part in collisions, player C does not. This is unfair and has a big impact on flying tactics - player C can fly through enemy planes guns blazing with low risk, 'great' for killing bombers.

Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, 04:09:43 AM »

Every player that has a collision on their PC gets damaged.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2013, 07:31:24 AM »
Great gohgillymohgilly! How many times do we need to revisit this? <face palm>
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline katanaso

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2013, 08:01:44 AM »

Yes, there would be. Unlike the current model, players with a higher lag would profit from it as they would have a much lower probability to be in a collision at all.

To illustrate (with numbers made up on the fly, just to show the principle)

Player A: Ping/Lag 30
Player B: Ping/Lag 30
Player C: Ping/Lag 300

Player A and Player B are about to collide. Total lag is very small, so collision is seen on both FE's - CRASH
Player A and Player C are about to collide. Total lag is quite high, so collision is NOT seen on both FE's - wuuush, no crash

Player A and B have a high chance of being part in collisions, player C does not. This is unfair and has a big impact on flying tactics - player C can fly through enemy planes guns blazing with low risk, 'great' for killing bombers.

That makes sense.  HTC would need to penalize those with high latency in order to make it somewhat fair for collisions, and it's not worth it.
mir
80th FS "Headhunters"

The most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Offline lulu

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2013, 08:47:51 AM »
Salomonic solution of lag problem.

AH evaluates the lag parameter, LP, between two players.

If between 2 players there is a collision and LP si small then both died, else they both survive.    :old:

mobilis in mobile

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2013, 09:28:35 AM »
Player D collides with one lancaster of a formation on each gunnery pass.

Three passes made.

Player D flys off undamaged.

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2013, 09:29:19 AM »
alright, fair enough.

So, If due to internet lag, collisions cannot be applied equitably, why have them? make them the same as flying through a friendly.
Being male, an accident of birth. Being a man, a matter of age. Being a gentleman, a matter of choice.