Author Topic: 2 sided war arena  (Read 3112 times)

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
2 sided war arena
« on: May 03, 2015, 07:16:24 PM »
With these low numbers lately, it's often just a two sided fight - with the third side getting rolled by gusts of tumbleweeds.  With only 2 teams, there would always be action, regardless of numbers.

A few other changes would have to be made for a two sided war to work:

1. ENY has to kick in much sooner, effectively countering the numbers advantage of the more populated side.
2. 1 hour side switching*, enabling crutch plane dependent folks to fly their favorite plane 24/7 and helping to balance the sides.

* also allow unlimited switching to the low numbers side.

Otherwise, everything else would be the same as the LW MA, as opposed to AvA; with their restricted plane sets and lack of icons.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 07:18:20 PM by caldera »
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
Re: 2 sided war arena
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 07:21:16 PM »
 :aok :aok :aok

No ENY required if each subsequent player that logs on goes to the low number side = max advantage is 1 player
Being male, an accident of birth. Being a man, a matter of age. Being a gentleman, a matter of choice.

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 08:54:46 PM »
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 10:27:11 PM »
Just to make it easy, call one side the Winners and the other side the Losers.  That way people will know easily which side to join to bomb defenseless buildings.

Maybe to make it even easier just allow people to join the Winners side, and have AIs on the Losers side that spawn randomly every minute or two and fly around the base around 3k and put up a token defense to be shot down so they can get some kills.  Call it the 'Co-op' arena?

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 10:35:22 PM »
I think we should have a map that is two sided and see what happens. Change to 1-hour sideswitch and see what happens.

I've read on these boards that AH did the two-side map well over a decade ago and ran into problems. I don't doubt that. Times and conditions have changed.

boo
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 05:30:13 PM »
:aok :aok :aok

No ENY required if each subsequent player that logs on goes to the low number side = max advantage is 1 player

That would make it hard to fly with your squaddies or other friends.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2015, 07:54:39 PM »
That would make it hard to fly with your squaddies or other friends.

No doubt. But the designed 3 way war ended some time ago with every country having its "time in the bucket".

With everyone looking for a balanced fight (read fair), 2 sides with automatic number balancing is the way to go. Don't like who your flying with? Just keep re-logging until you get the side you like.

:aok
Being male, an accident of birth. Being a man, a matter of age. Being a gentleman, a matter of choice.

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2015, 08:21:08 PM »
I would keep it the way it is, and adjust the ENY calculation.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2015, 09:43:47 PM »
Why not go play WT until Hitech releases AH3? You sound like you need some time in a warm sunny place with drink that has a little umbrella stuck in it.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2015, 01:26:59 AM »
No doubt. But the designed 3 way war ended some time ago with every country having its "time in the bucket".

With everyone looking for a balanced fight (read fair), 2 sides with automatic number balancing is the way to go. Don't like who your flying with? Just keep re-logging until you get the side you like.

:aok

even if there's the same number of players on each country the game still wont be balanced.  I am pretty sure if you think about it you will see why.  I'll give you a hint, the players themselves.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2015, 04:52:41 AM »
I'm ok with it as long as Bish get dissolved for crimes against humanity.   

Call one side Team America the other side rest of the world.     :rock
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2015, 06:25:33 AM »
I use to think two sided wars would be better.  We had a good thread on this last year.  I was wrong.  Three sides avoid a lot of problems.  Not perfect but better than two sides.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2015, 07:29:13 AM »
There is no doubt that generally 3 sides is better than 2 sides for various reasons.

The problem is, when the numbers are so low that only one single significant battle happens on the whole map, involving most of those two side's active players. That's happening more often during current Euro times.
You can then only either bomb stuff or grab some bases virtually unopposed if you are on the neglected side.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline hgtonyvi

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2015, 09:23:40 AM »
I'm ok with it as long as Bish get dissolved for crimes against humanity.   

Call one side Team America the other side rest of the world.     :rock
This will not work since i believe majority of players are in the united states. I know things will change after the new update comes out. Hang in there guys...... :rock :rock :rock :rock
CO of the Hell Hounds. In Game: Rud3boi
*Ain't no grave can hold my body down.*

Top German Ace of Pantelleria 1943
            6./JG 27- 109G-2

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2015, 09:57:48 AM »
A few years back there was one Late War Arena, then at a certain time every evening it closed and it went to two LWAs. It was a hassle but very livable. You would typically log in several times, see that one Arena was full, go to the other. It wasn't ideal, though it worked.

The reason AH went away from that arrangement was numbers. When the bewitching hour happened, and the one large Arena closed, 100+ would consistently not log into two arenas.

I only mention that in response to those worried about the automatic side balancing, resulting in multiple log-ins. With automatic balancing, remove the "12 hour" rule and ENY/Perks I say give it a shot. I agree with the Snailman, the current three-side war isn't working so well.

Dear AH, times have changed and what didn't work well a decade ago may improve the model today.
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton