Author Topic: Another approach to unwanted Windows updates  (Read 614 times)

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Another approach to unwanted Windows updates
« on: October 06, 2015, 11:09:15 AM »
RE Hints and Tips: Unnecessary Windows Updates

I noticed that the updates Skuzzy mentioned qualify as "recommended" instead of "important". Recommended updates can be avoided very easily:

Windows 7:

Click Start, type Windows update in the search box, and then click Windows Update in the Programs list.
    In the left pane, click Change settings.
    Select the option that you want.
    Under Recommended updates, deselect the "Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates" check box, and then click OK.

Windows 8 and 8.1_

Open Windows Update by swiping in from the right edge of the screen (or, if you're using a mouse, by pointing to the lower-right corner of the screen and moving the mouse pointer up), then tapping or clicking Settings, tapping or clicking Change PC settings, and then tapping or clicking Update and recovery.
    Tap or click Choose how updates get installed.
    Under Important updates, select the option that you want.
    Under Recommended updates, deselect the Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates check box, and then click Apply.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
Re: Another approach to unwanted Windows updates
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 11:08:01 PM »

I noticed that the updates Skuzzy mentioned qualify as "recommended" instead of "important". Recommended updates can be avoided very easily:

Windows 7:

Click Start, type Windows update in the search box, and then click Windows Update in the Programs list.
    Under Recommended updates, deselect the "Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates" check box, and then click OK.

Windows 8 and 8.1_

Open Windows Update by swiping in from the right edge of the screen (or, if you're using a mouse, by pointing to the lower-right corner of the screen and moving the mouse pointer up), then tapping or clicking Settings, tapping or clicking Change PC settings, and then tapping or clicking Update and recovery.
    Under Recommended updates, deselect the Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates check box, and then click Apply.

And Windows 10?

I believe that's what the hub-bub was about.

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 04:58:46 AM »
And Windows 10?

I believe that's what the hub-bub was about.

Coogan
No, this was about Windows updates that make Windows 7 and 8 spy on you the way Windows 10 does.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2015, 04:02:05 PM »

Windows 7:

Windows 8 and 8.1_

Thanks, Bizman!

:salute
Win 10 Home 64, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, GSkill FlareX 32Gb DDR4 3200 4x8Gb, XFX Radeon RX 6900X 16Gb, Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb NVMe PCI-E SSD (boot), Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SATA SSD (pagefile), Creative SoundBlaster X7 DAC-AMP, Intel LAN, SeaSonic PRIME Gold 850W, all CLWC'd