Author Topic: GV viewing-range change  (Read 1952 times)

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
GV viewing-range change
« on: November 19, 2016, 05:26:02 PM »
now that there are soo many more trees for a gv to hide in. my wish is to change the possiabilty of seeing a gv from a plane from 600 to 800- I gv and fly so I know what this means to the gv'er--but it's also hard for a pilot to see warble and ostwind tracers coming after him. thankyou :joystick: :airplane:
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
Re: GV viewing-range change
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 07:45:05 PM »
Since the Storch has magical powers of observation that no other plane has, there is no reason why flaks can't have different icon ranges than other creepy crawlies. 
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2016, 09:35:48 PM »
The GVs can keep their shorter range icons vs planes if they lose the range finder they have on plane icons.
There is no reason that wirbles and 88 puffy should have a perfect range displayed on enemy plane icons.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2016, 11:14:16 AM »
No, this is the wrong way round to thinking, I believe. Each one of the vehicles and 88 emplacements should be tied to a range finding/director. These guns were effective for a reason and that is why.

Vehicles already have enough problems to deal with when anyone can up a bomb and drop it from out of the blue.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2016, 11:09:36 AM »
Vehicles already have enough problems to deal with when anyone can up a bomb and drop it from out of the blue.
And this is why we kill ords....
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2016, 12:11:54 PM »
+1 on upping the distance on GV icons from plane but keep the icon range low when engine is off...moving tanks kick up dust which should make them easier to spot....right now the trees do make it hard to see them even when they are moving.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2016, 02:35:08 PM »
Ranges need to be just a little longer.  +1
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2016, 02:58:26 PM »
What is the range now?

Does engine on/off change the range?
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2016, 01:18:10 AM »
What is the range now?

I'm pretty sure it does at least with M3s.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2016, 01:20:51 AM »

What is the range now?

yes-engine off 600 feet engine on running across the ground 1000ft
m-16 firing range 1000ft-wirble firing range 1500k basic 2000k with a lot of lead as in leed- ostwind 4.5k
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2016, 01:31:24 AM »
even though this last update cleared some of the garbage trees out, there are still twice as many trees now as there were on any map in AH2..and you can't hardly see the tracers coming at you until its too late, or until you see them firing at another friendly. the tracers firing at you are barley visiable.
I'm only asking for a 200ft visual range increase on stopped gv's. and like I said I know what this means because I usally gv half of the time.
HTC please take this into consideration

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2016, 07:24:33 AM »
Why is a Storch able to spot at longer range of other ac?

I would prefer the spotting range to be a function of aircraft speed.............

GV icon range = 150000/IAS

IAS 75 = 2k
IAS 100= 1.5K
IAS 150= 1k
IAS 200= 0.75K

Multiply the range product by 1.5 if the vehicle is moving.

Then folk who become skilled at low speed GV hunting gain a reward............ the Storch is still a good gv spotter because it flies so slow anyway.

Ludere Vincere

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2016, 01:14:48 PM »
Why is a Storch able to spot at longer range of other ac?
Cause that's what HTC wanted...  It's a spotting AC, with little defensive armament.  It would be useless if it didn't have this spotting capability. 
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2016, 02:00:23 PM »
even though this last update cleared some of the garbage trees out, there are still twice as many trees now as there were on any map in AH2..and you can't hardly see the tracers coming at you until its too late, or until you see them firing at another friendly. the tracers firing at you are barley visiable.
I'm only asking for a 200ft visual range increase on stopped gv's. and like I said I know what this means because I usally gv half of the time.
HTC please take this into consideration

lunatic,

Clearing trees or changing visual range is not as much of the problem as what tiles and clutter the terrain designer chooses to populate the roughly 12 square miles of terrain constituting the combat zone. That includes the airfield, town, spawn points and GV transit areas to the town and field from the spawn and from the field. Ports and GV bases not having a town associated to them are about 4 square miles of combat zone.

Waffle provided a well thought out pallet of village and clutter tiles that are not being used as well as they could for the GV game. In many cases it looks like the person doing the touchup to the converted terrains for AH3 is trying to hinder the speed at which GV's can access the town along with a general ongoing meaningless confusion of dense trees to get nowhere very slowly. Your current frustration about trees.

I'm about 2\3 finished with a terrain in which I believe I'm using the village tiles provided by Waffle in a GV friendly manner as he may well have intended. They have been constructed to give you rapid and logical transit to and from the town or targeted area. While giving you a realistic village with open farm fields with site vistas to do long range open country shooting like AH2 while including the village itself for semi urban GV combat. Using a village as the center for your GV spawn entry point also cuts down on the unfairness of the old camped spawn point group gang bang.

I'm including screen captures from one of my fields to illustrate how the new tiles can be used to eliminate your tree frustration. I've been doing speed trials with a panther from the spawn point and from the GV hanger to the town. Best average time through the villages from both ends is 4 minutes. I'm beginning to think after this round of taking screen captures, I need to push my GV to town spawns back to 2 miles instead of 1.7 miles. An M8 could be in the town tearing it up before a plane could find him. You will note my personal bias about having trees all the way up to the edge of the airfield and the 1\8 mile or so grass buffer strip around the feild. I looked at many ETO theater airfield photos and some of them cleared a buffer zone back from the airfield, or the airfield was out in the middle of large open fields.

Lunatic, here are the screen captures illustrating how I think Waffle wanted us to use the village tiles to address the tree issue and being able to see other GVs. The village tiles are constructed to favor GV needs.

From the airfield GV hanger looking to the town.

From the spawn village looking to the town. You can see why I think the range should be 2miles now.

From the air to show the villages and how open they make the terrain for GV combat. YOu can see the buffer zone and why I may need to move the GV spawn back almost another mile.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2016, 02:01:56 PM »
Here is that field in the terrain editor showing the village tiles and why I think they were given to use to make GV combat possible without the dense trees and confusion of poorly blended clutter tiles.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.