Author Topic: P-51D Loadouts  (Read 1513 times)

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
P-51D Loadouts
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2004, 03:28:09 PM »
For what its worth, it appears from what I've found that the zero length rocket rails were installed in P51D20-NA aircraft from serial # 44-72226.

Checking some 8th AF Fighter Group histories, there are very few aircraft from after that serial number.  The 359th FG for example had roughly 6 Mustangs post that serial.  So it's possible that there were a few Mustangs in the ETO with zero length Rocket Rails.

Now going to the Pacific, the 15th FG, that served on Iwo Jima with the 21st and 506th Fighter Groups in 51s got their first 51s from that serial range which would explain their presence in the Pacific.

Dan/Slack
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
P-51D Loadouts
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2004, 04:14:49 PM »
Little known fact in AH is that the P-47D-30 is actually a D-40.  I have no idea how the naming error came about, it must have just been a brainfart.

Anyway, even though the zero-length rails did not come factory equipped on the P-47 until the D-40, earlier models were refitted with the zero length rails and 2850 kits were produced to do that.

As Guppy pictures attest, the P-51 could carry rockets in conjunction with drop ordnance.  There is also another possible combination not seen in AH, and that is for an extra 2 rocket rails in place of the bomb pylon to give a total of 10 rockets.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
P-51D Loadouts
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2004, 04:46:30 PM »
Originally posted by Urchin
Widewing, it isn't accurate on the P-47D, as far as I know.  

Hell, the P-47D-35 was the first to have the zero length rockets AFAIK.  But just because the P-47N could carry 2,500 lbs of bombs and 10 rockets doesn't mean the P-47D could.  The P-47N had a completely different wing.

Actual differences between the P-47D wing and P-47N wing were much fewer than one may believe. Span was increased by only 22 inches. Basically, inner sections were added containing fuel tanks (about 18 inches per side), and the landing gear track was widened accordingly. Wing tips were clipped and revised ailerons were installed. There was no increase in hardpoints and the wing's internal structure was essentially the same. P-47Ns were fitted with strengthened belly shackles allowing for a 1,000 pound bomb. Beyond that, ordnance capability was unchanged from late-model P-47Ds. Most P-47Ds in service not equiped with factory installed zero-length rocket rails (all D-40s and about 200 D-30s) were retro-fitted in the field. It was not unusual to see D-27s and D-28s with the rocket rails. Oh, and there were no D-35s.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Cobra412

• Silver Member
P-51D Loadouts
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2004, 05:07:53 PM »
Thanks for the replies everyone.  I know not to always believe what a book tells you hence why I asked this question.  Sometimes seeing is believing.  Once again thanks for your replies.

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
P-51D Loadouts
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2004, 07:58:17 AM »
Am I correct that some tiffies carried 16 underwing rockets (double row), and possibly P47's as well?
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)