Author Topic: Muzzy's Preliminary B29 Review  (Read 6501 times)

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
Re: Muzzy's Preliminary B29 Review
« Reply #60 on: February 27, 2011, 04:40:25 PM »
Be that as it may, I still think that in our arenas th 29's will have a tough time flying at 10-15k against fighters. Let's face it. In general our sticks are more aggressive and skillful than the under-trained late war Japanese flyers and we have access to German bomber killers.  Given that I would rather not risk the perks coming in at low alt.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 04:44:28 PM by Muzzy »

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Wng Cdr, No. 2 Tactical Bomber Group, RAF, "Today's Target" Scenario. "You maydie, but you will not be bored!"

Offline Tyrannis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #61 on: February 28, 2011, 10:49:22 AM »
so far, i love the b29. ive found many uses for it other than just the sole bombing role.

sometimes i'll join buff missions. but instead of taking a b17 or b24, i'll take a single b29. jettison my bombs. and use the ship as a gunning platform to protect the other bombers with.

i havent risked taking up a full formation of 29s in the MA.

ive made 7 sorties in the MA in a b29. 6 were succesful landings. i had 1 failed attempt due to my elevators/rudder/ailerons breaking off when i went into a shallow dive (faceplanted right into the water)
and have 3 kills (me262,me110,p51D) to my credit with no losses due to enemy fire.
in the DA. i have 13 sorties. with 12 kills to my credit with only 1 lost to enemy fire (due to engine flame)

tuesday when it came out, us in the DA had a mini scenario with it. where 8 b29's took off from a35 and was intercepted by 9 nikkis and 15 ki84s. all enemy planes were shot down with the loss of 2 b29's.

we also had b29 furball fights. which were very very fun. the b29 is alot more manueverable than you'd think a bomber of its size would be. just some highlights:

l

l

l

l

l

l

l

l

i ended up wining the furball with 2 b29 kills and landed my b29 with 2 engine leaks.

if anyone is up to a fun b29 vs b29 fight. i'd be happy to oblige  :salute

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #62 on: February 28, 2011, 10:52:20 AM »
Will make a point to look for single Rook B-29's next month when my self & my squad returns to late war. :aok

Offline OldBull

• Copper Member
« Reply #63 on: March 02, 2011, 11:37:11 PM »
Can anyone explain this? I upped a formation of B-29's, perk cost at the time was appx 380 perks, flew a lenghtly hi alt mission , landed appx 7000 damage points but  a minus -127 perk points . Mission was successful but I lost perks.
Anyone?
OldBull
Avengers
OldBull
XO ~Avengers~

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #64 on: March 03, 2011, 12:01:54 AM »
lost a drone landing?

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #65 on: March 03, 2011, 05:25:11 AM »
I also believe that the population balance adjustment to perk price may have played a role. IIRC, you 'take out' however many perks it costs to take off in the plane, and if you land it succesfully you get back how many it would cost to take off in the plane at the moment you land.

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #66 on: March 03, 2011, 06:14:43 AM »
I also believe that the population balance adjustment to perk price may have played a role. IIRC, you 'take out' however many perks it costs to take off in the plane, and if you land it succesfully you get back how many it would cost to take off in the plane at the moment you land.

It has been confirmed elsewhere that you are refunded your exact
'perk price' amount shown at the start of your sortie, if all aircraft
return successfully.
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #67 on: March 03, 2011, 06:20:59 AM »
Can anyone explain this? I upped a formation of B-29's, perk cost at the time was appx 380 perks, flew a lenghtly hi alt mission , landed appx 7000 damage points but  a minus -127 perk points . Mission was successful but I lost perks.
Anyone?
OldBull
Avengers

380/3=126.6

You lost a drone.

Offline OldBull

• Copper Member
« Reply #68 on: March 03, 2011, 06:34:26 AM »
True I did lose a drone letting down, but did not expect to get into negative numbers considering a 7000 + point mission
OldBull
OldBull
XO ~Avengers~

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 03, 2011, 06:50:47 AM »
True I did lose a drone letting down, but did not expect to get into negative numbers considering a 7000 + point mission

Please note the OBJ rating of the B-29: 3 - which means you only get very, very few perks for each destroyed object.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline BERN1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #70 on: March 19, 2011, 07:39:34 AM »
I can vouch for that also.  I lost ailerons in a VERY shallow dive.  IAS was less than 325 MPH.  TAS was lees than 350. 

Methinks there are bugs to be ironed out with this bird.  No way should you be losing control surfaces in such a manner.

Something else which happened to me.  I jumped to another plane to get a better targeting solution on a bandit. When I went back to the #1 plane, I could not see any of my instruments.   I was no longer in the pilots seat. Any of them.
same exact thing happened to me today,lost my instruments for duration of flight, after an epic battle with a p-47,in which my waist gunner cut his wing off, :neener:I had been moving from plane to plane in the diff gunner positions, when I returned my instruments were gone,just a blur :headscratch:

Offline EDO43

• Copper Member
« Reply #71 on: March 19, 2011, 08:36:35 PM »
That's because you returned to position 1 in a drone aircraft....I made that mistake once too. You've got to go back to the lead bomber position 1 and your instruments will be just fine.
Mawey -a-  tsmukan

Offline Shiva

• Silver Member
      • http://members.cox.net/srmalloy/
« Reply #72 on: March 19, 2011, 10:14:51 PM »
Non bullet related burning.  They overheated VERY easily especially in early service times.
It was standard practice to have a member of the ground crew standing under each engine nacelle at startup with a fire extinguisher in order to put out the engine if it caught fire when they tried to start it.

Offline BERN1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #73 on: March 20, 2011, 08:25:58 AM »
That's because you returned to position 1 in a drone aircraft....I made that mistake once too. You've got to go back to the lead bomber position 1 and your instruments will be just fine.
{FACEPALM}