Author Topic: AcesHigh.exe has stopped working  (Read 849 times)

Offline RogolloWing

• Zinc Member
AcesHigh.exe has stopped working
« on: September 22, 2011, 08:41:30 AM »
I run Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit using a NVIDIA graphics card.  Although I typical have more issues than my squaddies with respect to disconnects, recently, I would get an "AcesHigh.exe has stopped working" error every hour or so.

As of the other day, it worsened to where I cannot even make it into an arena before crashing - every time!

I uninstalled and reinstalled AcesHigh and the problem persists.  

I would attach my 64bit DxDiag.txt, but I don't see an option to do so.  I will send email to support as well.

RW

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: AcesHigh.exe has stopped working
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 09:11:38 AM »
This could easily be the Windows 7 64 bit USB bug, where the power levels are dropping too low on the USB bus, not causing the bus to reset, but causing the OS to flood the application with USB bus change messages, which could cause any application (Aces High included) looking for those messages to crash.

Easy way to test this is to remove as many devices as you can from your USB bus and see if the problem goes away.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline RogolloWing

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 10:18:19 AM »
I did not attempt the USB fix.  However, I downgraded my NVIDIA driver from 258.96 (Windows 7) to 61.77 (61.77_win2kxp_english.exe) and reinstalled Aces High.  This seems to be working, although the graphics are more choppy and less smooth.

Note that prior to this solution, I had tried my previous reinstallation using a copy of the settings saved from my previous installation of Aces High.  This go around, I did NOT use my saved settings.

Thanks,
RW

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 10:39:41 AM »
Depending on how old your vidoe card is, newer drivers from Nvidia could absolutely cause problems.  The best drivers for any version of an NVidia or ATI video card are the drivers last released BEFORE the next new model replacement for your own card happened.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 11:42:34 AM »
I did not attempt the USB fix. 

Try it!  I was having the same basic problem.  A powered hub and I went as far as unplugging all the unnecessary USB equipment too.  I haven't had an "Aces High has stopped working" for weeks now.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline pigface

• Nickel Member
      • Home Systems Integration
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 04:53:23 PM »
Gents, this sounds to me more like a primary power suppply issue, I was not aware there was a WIN7 USB bug. You guys (HiTech) deal with far more issues than I do, but this is one I thought I would have been aware of.

I have experience this symptom a couple times, but very rare and I only have my keyboard, mouse and Joystick using external USB connections, however my total USB connections are 8 using the System Information app. I am not sure what the other 5 connectiosn are, or if this is just showing enabled connectors, which would make sense.

My Power Supply is pretty hefty too, I think 1000W - 1200W. I cannot remember exactly. Im curious to understand this issue for it may assist me with my clients.

Thanks, PF
People who like this sort of thing, find this the sort of thig they like.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2011, 06:29:00 AM »
The USB bus can sink a limited amount of current before it resets itself.  As it approachs the rest level the power available to the USB bus drops.  This is purely a function of the USB hub on the motherboard.

It took us a while to find this one as it was so inconsistent.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese