Author Topic: Control deflections and control forces: How do they work?  (Read 689 times)

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
I'm kind of curious.

Right now I'm assuming that 100% control throw on the joystick=100% control deflection, assuming control forces aren't too high. I'm also assuming that if my stick is completely unscaled, then 50% control throw will be about 50% full control deflection, etc.

Now those control forces...I've heard the AH "pilot" can pull 50 pounds. Does that mean the sim aerodynamically calculates how much force is required for a given control deflection, and allows full deflection up until the 50 pound limit is reached?
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: Control deflections and control forces: How do they work?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 10:37:44 AM »
The simple answer.

The rate of the physical movement of the control surfaces is capped at a specific velocity.  During normal flight, you should not be able to tell that is it is capped.

Also note, the physical motion of the control surface may, or may not, match the actual flight physics.  HiTech was a bit too busy to look up that one for me.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Mar

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 10:48:15 AM »
Good info, but not sure that's what he was asking about in his post. I think he's talking about stick scaling and planes that don't have hydraulic assisted controls.

Example: the P-38L has hydraulic ailerons and so you can see it rolls faster at higher speeds. The (can't think of a plane to use) rolls slower at higher speeds because the forces on the ailerons the pilot must fight against are much greater at higher speed.
𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓈𝒽𝒶𝒹𝑜𝓌𝓈 𝑜𝒻 𝓌𝒶𝓇'𝓈 𝓅𝒶𝓈𝓉 𝒶 𝒹𝑒𝓂𝑜𝓃 𝑜𝒻 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒶𝒾𝓇 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝑒𝓈 𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝑔𝓇𝒶𝓋𝑒

"Onward to the land of kings—via the sky of aces!"
  Oh, and zack1234 rules. :old:

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 11:30:29 AM »
Good info, but not sure that's what he was asking about in his post. I think he's talking about stick scaling and planes that don't have hydraulic assisted controls.

Example: the P-38L has hydraulic ailerons and so you can see it rolls faster at higher speeds. The (Bf 109) rolls slower at higher speeds because the forces on the ailerons the pilot must fight against are much greater at higher speed.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 12:29:25 PM »

Example: the P-38L has hydraulic ailerons and so you can see it rolls faster at higher speeds. The (can't think of a plane to use) rolls slower at higher speeds because the forces on the ailerons the pilot must fight against are much greater at higher speed.

Each plane has its own velocity cap for the control surfaces.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 01:15:19 PM »
Each plane has its own velocity cap for the control surfaces.

Velocity cap simply means I can't move the virtual control surface as quick as I can move a 6'' joystick right? Makes sense.

I was more wondering about stick movement in relation to deflection on the control surface. Like sitting on the runway, 100% back on the stick will up elevator as far as it will go, yes?

Now control forces, I assume that is calculated aerodynamically as you fly, and trim comes into it. Like you are in a 109 in a fast dive, the pilot can't pull out, you start trimming nose up and the stick forces for a given elevator deflection become less than 50 pounds so you can get that deflection...is that close to how it works?
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 03:12:32 PM »
Velocity cap simply means I can't move the virtual control surface as quick as I can move a 6'' joystick right? Makes sense.

I was more wondering about stick movement in relation to deflection on the control surface. Like sitting on the runway, 100% back on the stick will up elevator as far as it will go, yes?

Now control forces, I assume that is calculated aerodynamically as you fly, and trim comes into it. Like you are in a 109 in a fast dive, the pilot can't pull out, you start trimming nose up and the stick forces for a given elevator deflection become less than 50 pounds so you can get that deflection...is that close to how it works?

Yes, the elevator, or any control surface, will move to maximum deflection if the stick is at full deflection.  This assumes the stick is fully calibrated.

As to the rest, I'll have to wait until Hitech gets some free time for him to root around in his coad.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 03:26:23 PM »
The controller setup advanced screen shows the actual stick position and the related input that the game sees. With no scaling they are the same after calibration.

If you look at your rudder when sitting still on the runway you can see that you can move the rudder pedals faster than the rudder moves.

When you dive at high speed you can see that aileron and elevator travel is reduced,  full stick movement gives partial or no control surface movement but you can increase it with trim. Trim does not decrease the aerodynamic forces on the stick, those are from your speed. Trim lets the stick stay in position so the pilot's force to hold it there is reduced.